Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goatstown to city centre

• 16-05-2016 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

I am buying in goatstown and am wondering what's the best way to get to work in the city centre. I note there is only one bus that goes by the house, the 11, which appears to go through Ranelagh village. I know from driving Ranelagh is mayhem in rush hour and I don't think there's a bus lane? Is this bus really slow? My alternative would be to walk 14-20 minutes to the Luas, although this might not be much of a runner always as I'm pregnant. Any thoughts on the 11 or what time I should get it to make it to town for 8.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 07:40 departure from Sandyford Business District should be at Goatstown cross roads for 07:50-07:55 and will get you to Dawson Street for 08:30.

The 08:00 departure would be at Goatstown for 08:10-08:15 but won't get into Dawson St for 08:55 or so.

Bear in mind that schools and colleges will be winding down for summer and traffic would be getting lighter, but those times should be about right.

Use the National Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie and download the NTA Journey Planner and Real Time apps for smartphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

That 11 can take forever to get from the Goat down to Beaver Row if traffic is bad.

I live near there, and I just cycle in. It's a straightforward cycle in with (decent-ish) cycle lanes the whole way. Bit of a work out on the way home too.

I know you are pregnant at the moment so probably not a runner, but maybe after the birth!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I am buying in goatstown and am wondering what's the best way to get to work in the city centre. I note there is only one bus that goes by the house, the 11, which appears to go through Ranelagh village. I know from driving Ranelagh is mayhem in rush hour and I don't think there's a bus lane? Is this bus really slow? My alternative would be to walk 14-20 minutes to the Luas, although this might not be much of a runner always as I'm pregnant. Any thoughts on the 11 or what time I should get it to make it to town for 8.45
    Unfortunately much of Goatstown is not particularly well serviced for public transport, unless you are close to the Dundrum Luas stop side.

The 11 route is relatively infrequent and the travel times on the southside part of the route can vary hugely, since it passes multiple bottlenecks on Goatstown Road, Clonskeagh Road and Ranelagh, until about Appian Way. It improves a little outside school time, but it can still be a very inconsistent and frustrating service.

At the moment the 11 is still probably the only realistic option, but allow plenty of time and bring earphones/book/kindle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thank all. Yeah I figured it would not be a great route. :( Cycling is a no-no due to me being rubbish at it and pregnant! I will just alternate between bus and luas and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id take bus and time it on app when traffic not bad, cycling might be good option in future, at least on the way in, its mostly down hill... that or cycle to luas stop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Id take bus and time it on app when traffic not bad, cycling might be good option in future, at least on the way in, its mostly down hill... that or cycle to luas stop...

Yeah, relatives live in the area and its a tough first 1-2 weeks as the home run is a shallow but long gradient. Cycling to the luas is great except for the rampant bike theft, you really need 2x Ulocks to even consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

personally I would only do it on a road bike or very light weight hybrid (if they exist)...

I have a light weight road bike and the difference between that and even a standard hybrid if laughable in terms of the work rate you put in on the hybrid v the road...
    Yeah, relatives live in the area and its a tough first 1-2 weeks as the home run is a shallow but long gradient. Cycling to the luas is great except for the rampant bike theft, you really need 2x Ulocks to even consider it.
    do they not have cameras and cages for the bikes there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I use two U-locks everywhere in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Idbatterim wrote: »
    personally I would only do it on a road bike or very light weight hybrid (if they exist)...

I have a light weight road bike and the difference between that and even a standard hybrid if laughable in terms of the work rate you put in on the hybrid v the road...

do they not have cameras and cages for the bikes there?

There are boxes more recently at Windy Arbour now, not sure of where else. Think they're privately rented? Cameras do nothing, even the presence of law enforcement doesn't help.

Advertisement