Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On becoming an "Activist"

• 13-11-2019 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

My neighbour, an inoffensive elderly spinster who has pretensions to being an artist, although thus far she hasn't managed to sell any of her art, has recently taken to describing herself on social media as an "activist".

I find this surprising as, to the best of my knowledge - and we converse regularly - her activism consists of attending meetings about matters of local interest: threatened closure of the local post office, changes in the rural link bus timetable and the failure of our Council to cut the hedges on the sides of our country lanes, etc. etc.

She hasn't yet blocked any roads or burnt her bra (DG) although she once sent an angry mail to the County Council about a local pothole.

Is she entitled to describe herself as an "activist" or is she gilding the lily?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

She in under cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dyslexic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not selling your art doesn't mean you're not an artist. Maybe she's an unappreciated genius..or probably she's just ****, but then she's still a **** artist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

171170 wrote: »
    I find this surprising as, to the best of my knowledge - and we converse regularly - her activism consists of attending meetings about matters of local interest: threatened closure of the local post office, changes in the rural link bus timetable and the failure of our Council to cut the hedges on the sides of our country lanes, etc. etc.
    That's what activism is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You have to be activated first. Might need a product code or pay an activation fee.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Maybe she's dyslexic and think's she's the divel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    That's what activism is.

I picked a bit of litter up off the footpath once and put it in an adjacent bin. Can I thereby describe myself as an activist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I picked a bit of litter up off the footpath once and put it in an adjacent bin. Can I thereby describe myself as an activist?

Well, the lady the OP describes attends meetings about different things. Surely you can see the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Totally, make sure you post it on FB... so others know ... because this is what activism is all about. Making a difference ... for yourself :)

You do tend to see a lot of older women falling into the activist/artist thing..

I think the push to activism is half the problem these days..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

No, you're more like a rubbish man. You certainly talk a lot of it.

Fight time!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why are you obsessed with her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

she seems to be doing civic/community activism, which is good imo (and different than NGO driven activism ...)
    - better than locking herself in the house all day.

Well, the lady the OP describes attends meetings about different things. Surely you can see the difference?

I was at those meeting too - in fact I know she was there, because I drove her!

So yep, I can definitely see the difference! But thanks for your invaluable input.

You have never heard me speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My neighbour, an inoffensive elderly spinster who has pretensions to being an artist, although thus far she hasn't managed to sell any of her art, has recently taken to describing herself on social media as an "activist".

She hasn't yet blocked any roads or burnt her bra (DG) although she once sent an angry mail to the County Council about a local pothole.

Is she entitled to describe herself as an "activist" or is she gilding the lily?

Hard to say, has she a man in her life?

Not having one helps

I was at those meeting too - in fact I know she was there, because I drove her!

So yep, I can definitely see the difference! But thanks for your invaluable input.

So why bother asking about whether picking up a piece of litter makes you an activist?

So why bother asking about whether picking up a piece of litter makes you an activist?

The alternative is lame --- staring at the litter until it disintegrates naturally... or maybe that would be a superpower, and would therefore be highly supported by Marvel... :D

Because I wanted someone intelligent to define the line for me between so-called "activism" and basic civic spirit.

• Advertisement

Because I wanted someone intelligent to define the line for me between so-called "activism" and basic civic spirit.

If you can’t figure out the line yourself, does that mean you’re not intelligent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Is she building up to becoming a local councillor/politician? She could say she’s been an activist for x number of years which sounds impressive (although means very little).

If you can’t figure out the line yourself, does that mean you’re not intelligent?

If you're unable to work that one out for yourself, where does that leave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Stalking your elderly neighbour on social media is a bit weird, mate.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Stalking your elderly neighbour on social media is a bit weird, mate.

She's currently abroad and we communicate via social media as I feed her cats!

Not that it's any of you business, you interfering troll.

She's currently abroad and we communicate via social media as I feed her cats!

Not that it's any of you business, you interfering troll.

Seriously weird.

Also why are you nice to her face if you really feel this way about her? Kinda fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

matters of local interest: threatened closure of the local post office, changes in the rural link bus timetable and the failure of our Council to cut the hedges on the sides of our country lanes, etc. etc.

This is really solid local activism, kudos to her. And local activism is really powerful when different local groups are connected together.
    I don't see why you're intent on disparaging her. You should try it :-)

People are often reluctant to call themselves "activists" because of the image it evokes in others minds.

Yes, she's an activist. You should thank her.

And people don't become artists to "sell" and it's often not a measure of their success in their own lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

e0d.jpg

I swear this place has some of the highest response rates to bait on the entire internet.

e0d.jpg

I swear this place has some of the highest response rates to bait on the entire internet.

Sadly i have learnt what you think is baiting or a joke the op is usually taking deadly serious. And those you think are trolls are also deadly serious.

Real trolls are more subtle these days.

• Advertisement

If you're unable to work that one out for yourself, where does that leave you?

I’m not the one asking the question.

Advertisement