Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas FM to pull 'Baby it's Cold Outside'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

theguzman wrote: »
    Next to get the chop is Fairy Tale of New York over the inclusion of the word "******". These type of people won't be happy until all Christians are executed I think.

Yep, and they are the same f*cking tools that will get a hard on over Islam.... ****ing mentally ill nutters

Anyway, what is it with the song ? why has it been axed ?

OK I looked it up, jesus h christ, what is wrong with people ?
    I hope it gets to Christmas #1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well fook them, I've just pulled Christmas FM from my car's presets.

You really showed them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Tempted to start inundating Christmas FM with request for some NWA seasonal ditties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Why don't we all commit to making a donation if the song is returned? We could raise a load of money for a good charity, and push back on the madness?

I'm committing over on the AMA thread. I'd encourage you all to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It's the cultural-Marxist-feminist axis again trying to ruin Christmas for the Broflakes.

You see kids, this is how to look edgy when complaining about .. people complaining about something. Just exaggerate the initial complaint as much as you can, and it will come across all ironic, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You see kids, this is how to look edgy when complaining about .. people complaining about something. Just exaggerate the initial complaint as much as you can, and it will come across all ironic, like.

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Zulu wrote: »
    Why don't we all commit to making a donation if the song is returned? We could raise a load of money for a good charity, and push back on the madness?

Why? It's just a song. Is your Christmas ruined because it's not being played on Christmas FM this year?

TCM wrote: »
    Don't know how somebody can stand at a counter and listen to dreadful xmas songs for over a month. Would drive me crazy.

I do often wonder myself, it must get pretty horrendous pretty quickly.

However, just this morning I was in at a Centra deli. The counter was only opening and the staff were still setting out the salads and hot food. There was a cold, glum, waking atmosphere in the place as it was.

The first Monday of December, but it wasn't the Christmas tunes blaring, it was somehow...worse. I'm there waiting on my roll, and I notice that for some reason I feel my mood going downhill by the second. I come out of my daze to hone in on the music and actually listen to what's filling the room with sound, it's Harry Styles moaning 'Stop your crying it's a sign of the times' at unnecessary volume.

The 3 foreign lassies setting up to do trojan work at 7.20am, in their white coats and hair nets, staring down the barrel of the first day of the first week of a mental month...with that shíte hammering out. It was a real life experience which reminded me of Tommy Tiernan listening to Radiohead on the bus in Father Ted.

I'd take repetitive upbeat Christmas tunes while trying to adjust to a day's work than that depression fuel.

Why? It's just a song. Is your Christmas ruined because it's not being played on Christmas FM this year?
    Ruined?!?

Hardly.

Why?

• Because I like the song.
    • Because I think that it shouldn't be pulled.
    • Because I think the reason it's been pulled is pathetic.
    • Because I'm not afraid to put my money where my mouth is.
    • And because it's for a good charity.

Ruined?!?

Hardly.

Why?

• Because I like the song.
    • Because I think that it shouldn't be pulled.
    • Because I think the reason it's been pulled is pathetic.
    • Because I'm not afraid to put my money where my mouth is.
    • And because it's for a good charity.

It just seems like such an inane cause to rally for.

• Advertisement

It just seems like such an inane cause to rally for.
    But I like the song.

What's inane is suppressing the song. That's inane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I used to work in retail and the shop had one Christmas CD, which was played, on repeat, from 8am to 9.30pm every day, for a month before Christmas. I can still remember the tracklisting and I grew to hate every one of those songs. It took me years to get over it.

Likewise, I worked retail all through school and Xmas. Towards the end I spent 4 years in one place, they had a 6CD changer but said they could only play those 6 cds. It took about 3 weeks before we convinced them to let us just change the order of the CDs or have a look for a shuffle button at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Next on the list is Eartha Kitt, apparently, for portraying women as being materialistic and Mariah's in the their crosshairs too for having the cheek to want a man person.

I had actually thought this one was taking the piss, especially given her comments on I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, but nope, bizarrely she's completely serious.

She just assumes Mariah Carey is singing about wanting a man.. How dare she.

And the irony of her calling something creepy..

But I like the song.

What's inane is suppressing the song. That's inane.

Suppressing it? A single seasonal station chose not to play it. This is like getting upset because the girl on the till in Tesco said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

razorblunt wrote: »
    Likewise, I worked retail all through school and Xmas. Towards the end I spent 4 years in one place, they had a 6CD changer but said they could only play those 6 cds. It took about 3 weeks before we convinced them to let us just change the order of the CDs or have a look for a shuffle button at least!

6CDs? Luxury! This was one single CD. 12 - 14 songs. Over and over again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Suppressing it? A single seasonal station chose not to play it. This is like getting upset because the girl on the till in Tesco said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Not so.

If that happened it would likely be due to the company telling staff not to say Christmas.

They tried it in a mate's place a few years ago till the company owner came by and called the manager a "miserable ****" and said it was okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

AHH likewise, one CD. And you could "hear" the next song before it actually started playing... such was the imprint on your brain.

One year we had a CD that had Gary Glitter's "Another Rock and Roll Christmas" on it.

The stampede to switch it over was almost funny!!!!!

Not so.

If that happened it would likely be due to the company telling staff not to say Christmas.

They tried it in a mate's place a few years ago till the company owner came by and called the manager a "miserable ****" and said it was okay!

Management often tell employees what to wear and what to say. Why is this particular issue so triggering for people?

One year we had a CD that had Gary Glitter's "Another Rock and Roll Christmas" on it.

The stampede to switch it over was almost funny!!!!!

Yep, that was on it. It started with Last Christmas. Can't remember exact order (it was 25 years ago) but included Slade, Band Aid, Wizzard, Shaky, Beach Boys, Nat King Cole, McCartney, Lennon, Elton John, Mud, Chris De Burgh, "Stop The Cavalry", and the last song was White Christmas. I think Mike Oldfield was on it but I can't be certain. Similar about Johnny Mathis.

I actually quite liked the Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby songs; they felt like a break from the rest. Often I would disappear into the back store room to give my brain a chance to recover.

This shop used to also have TV screens with cartoons on repeat - two cartoons, Jungle Book and Aladdin. I got to know the scripts for those off by heart as well.

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TBH, I'd pay them money to keep it off air. The "It's pc gone maaaaaad" lot and the slippery slope "what'll they ban next..." brigade are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

vangoz wrote: »
    Can you define what 'tolerant' politically correct type are exactly? And are you seriously comparing the what the Catholic church done to this non-issue?

Those ones preaching tolerance but in the same breath telling us what is and what isn't good for us. Overly PC twats and militant vegans I would place in this camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

In fairness, if you read the lyrics, they do sound a bit Josef Fritzely...

Cienciano wrote: »
    TBH, I'd pay them money to keep it off air. The "It's pc gone maaaaaad" lot and the slippery slope "what'll they ban next..." brigade are worse.
    So put-up or shut-up!

Counter my offer, donate to the charity! ;)

Or are you just all talk?

Keyzer wrote: »
    In fairness, if you read the lyrics, they do sound a bit Josef Fritzely...

Yeah, bit of flirtation, that's the same as locking up your daughter in a basement and raping her repeatedly.

He clearly asks for consent in the first verse ("mind if I move in closer?").

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Yeah, bit of flirtation, that's the same as locking up your daughter in a basement and raping her repeatedly.

:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Usual PC nonsense.
    I wonder how much one would have to donate in order for them to overturn their decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl did a version of it for the BBC in the early '90s, where "cheap lousy faggot" was replaced with "you're cheap and you're haggard" (same as the iconic Ronan Keating version). I'm sure nobody would have an issue with that...

Reminds me of:

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I do, **** your censorship

If it was for Top of the Pops, I guess it was pre-watershed. The options were probably either bleeping out the word ‘fäggot’ or changing the lyrics. I'd prefer the former solution to the latter myself but oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Of course she is. She is like the left version of Alex Jones. Made famous mainly by the threats of rape and murder made against her following her stupid game trope videos.

Alleged rape and death threats-her and Zoe Quinn alleged they received those threats, but provided no evidence of such. I believe they were told off for wasting police time.

The lyrics are from an a different ear-with different meaning. Just as in Grease when 'tell me more, tell me more, did she put up a fight' doesn't mean she was held down and sexually assaulted. It means these guys are braggarts who have barely even kissed a girl, never mind anything else.
    The whole song is them lying and one upping each other in terms of trying to look like the 'big dude'.

If people ban Fairytale of New York, folks will go f***ing apespit. The 'scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy f****t' isn't directed at any sexuality, merely words you'd say at someone when angry-tbh, it's brutally honest as a song.
    If folks try and cut that out, they're idiots. They're denying reality- far worse is said on the streets every day.

Advertisement