Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So its 30 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall in Germany. Do you Remember it?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The news broke when an East German minister announced that border controls would be relaxed during a press conference.

He was asked "when?". He didn't really have an answer, so he replied "now, I suppose".

East Germans headed for the Wall. The border guards had not received orders. Normally they would shoot, but they just stood down.

One of the quickest regime collapses of all-time.

A glory night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I remember much more than 30 years ago.Thats all I'm saying,heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Carry wrote: »
    ....That night all the rules and German reservations went down the drain in Berlin. Everthing stayed open, public transport run all night for free, East Berliners stumbled in amazement and in masses through the streets of West Berlin, being greeted and hugged by everyone. It was the biggest party the world has ever seen, I think.....

and a slightly different version of the story from me

I was doing my (then compulsory) military service in the West-German army (Bundeswehr) at the time...more precisely the basic training part of it in some barracks adjacent to a US/German military airbase not far from the Danube.

We had no party, quite the opposite.

In the run-up to the actual day, tensions in the East had grown massively, so had the number of people in the streets. Looking at what had happened previously in Hungary and Czechoslovakia (and in Eastern Germany in 1957) once people started gathering in the streets in masses, there was a not totally unreasonable expectation that these masses might be stopped by tanks...East German and more importantly, Soviet ones.

The prospect of Soviet tanks leaving their barracks of course makes the Bundeswehr nervous...so we were on alert. All leave for officers and other leaders was cancelled, so they were bored/excited and we poor recruits suffered :D

Alarm exercises at all hours of the day or night ...which mostly just meant grabbing all your stuff (and your weapon of course) and assembling in the yard, standing to attention while some person up front shouted something about the red forces and the blue forces and taking up defensive position, before letting you go back to whatever you were doing before.

So tensions were a bit raised and we were all pretty tired.

And then, two days before the actual fall of the wall, they alarmed us out of bed at 03:15 in the morning (that time of night when you're so fast asleep that after being forcefully woken you have no idea what's going on) assembled us in the yard with all our rucksacks and guns. At this point, some joker thought it funny, instead of the usual blue on red "situation" to tell us that Soviet forces had indeed mobilised, that there was fighting in the streets of major eastern towns and that there was a significant Soviet tank force en route to the inner-German border.

Again, 03:15 in the morning, everybody is dazed and confused and you're told that ...
    We were then marched out of the barracks to our positions around the airfield (a good three hours march) and dug in to our strategic positions. Some poor recruits were so tired, confused and afraid that there was actual distress and crying and it took well into daytime until the last one registered that this was still only an exercise.

Two days later then , when the actual wall fell pretty much without warning, the whole lot of us just sat in front of the TV and didn't know what to make of it.
    One or two beers and the odd big grin was had alright...but party there wasn't...we were just dazzled, more or less.

After that normal service resumed (with a slight feeling of being surplus to requirement all round) and in the end my military service was cut short by three months as all of a sudden 500.000 men under arms had become a quite expensive hobby and the money was needed elsewhere.

I wish I had been in Berlin or any other border town instead, somehow I think I missed one of the most momentous events of my lifetime while being tired and confused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭thomil

I don't quite have a first-hand experience, as I grew up roughly 90 kilometres away from the inner-German border. I was eight at the time, and all through that summer, there had been a feeling that "something" was in the air, that something was going to happen, though I didn't really realise what it was. What struck me most about the evening itself was how seemingly surprising it all was. Granted, at eight years old, everything that lasts for more than a week or two seems like eternity, but the wall, and the inner-German border had always "been there", and it seemed as if it would never go away. That summer, my parents had taken my grandmothers and me to a small town called Hitzacker on the southern bank of the Elbe, which overlooked the border. I still remember asking my parents what all this fuss with the border was about, after all, the other side looked just like our side!
    On the night it actually happened, I still remember the tears in my grandmother's eyes, and I think my parents were pretty choked up as well. They had all been around when the wall had gone up, and none of them expected it to come down in their lifetimes, and they couldn't believe the images they were seeing. I was allowed to stay up late that night to watch everything unfold on TV, and a few days later, the first "Trabant" rolled into our small village on the outskirts of Hamburg.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A fragment of the wall is at the shrine of Fatima.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭Esel

branie2 wrote: »
    That's supposed to be a secret! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

branie2 wrote: »

Has herself cone to have a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was only 4 so I don't remember oy what I've seen on TV documentaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

peasant wrote: »
    ...In the run-up to the actual day, tensions in the East had grown massively, so had the number of people in the streets. Looking at what had happened previously in Hungary and Czechoslovakia (and in Eastern Germany in 1957) once people started gathering in the streets in masses, there was a not totally unreasonable expectation that these masses might be stopped by tanks...East German and more importantly, Soviet ones.

(...)

I wish I had been in Berlin or any other border town instead, somehow I think I missed one of the most momentous events of my lifetime while being tired and confused :D

Thanks for that story. It's an interesting and to me unknown perspective.

But in fairness, there was a real fear in Berlin that all the talk of Gorbachev about glasnost and perestroika would be just talk, or that the East German communist mandarins would fight toes and nails against any decision to give up their cushy little state. We have after all seen, during the Berlin Crisis, American and Russian tanks face each other at Checkpoint Charlie, and the shoot-to-kill order of the Eastern border police wasn't voided yet at that moment. And it takes always only one...

So thanks for trying to protect us against the enemy at 3.15am :D

And yes, you missed the most momentous moment in post-war Berlin. Actually I still welled up writing my story.

But rest assured I will drink a glass of bubbly at least in spirit with you (that's 2 glasses for me so :D) at the 30th anniversary - if that is any consolation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That must have been an amazing experience!! One of the best things I've read on boards.

+ 1

Ipso wrote: »
    Has herself cone to have a look?

She might have when people weren't looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Carry wrote: »
    <snip>

Nicely written, must have been some night in Mitte.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the last sentence' though. Yes it was a takeover rather than a reunification, there were losers and capitalism wasnt going to be one of them for sure. But then there was a huge challenge that faced the new country and no blueprint to it. To pull it off at all was quite an achievement I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

TBH, I've no real-time memories about it: I was a teenager, but on the other side of the Iron Curtain (by comparison with majority of the posters here). So for me the following month is unforgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was living in Leitrim at the time with the parents and remembered seeing it on the news, quite a emotional time. I remember the Roger Waters concert that followed where he done the Wall show with a bunch of celebrities. To get a feel of East Germany and the Stasi before the wall came down you should all check out the brilliant film The Lives of Others, a passionate and moving view of the Eastern Bloc.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall very well. I was 14 at the time and in 3rd year in secondary school - Inter cert year. It was incredible to see an edifice that represented the division of Europe, something we all thought would long outlive all of us, come down so suddenly.

There was a real sense of elation and heady joy in Berlin that week, from the live news broadcasts of the events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Same as that, 14. Although I do recall it happening it didn't have much of an effect on me. Had little knowledge or interest in politics or world affairs at that age. Have read up on it a fair bit in latter years.

As great a moment in time as it was for Germany and Europe it hasn't been all fun and games for the former East German population. After unification as people swarmed to the west for work unemployment soared in the east. Most major industry today is still in the west with higher earning power and less unemployment than in the east today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/30-years-after-the-fall-of-the-berlin-wall-children-of-a-united-germany-remain-divided/2019/11/07/08840a18-ff89-11e9-8341-cc3dce52e7de_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

vriesmays wrote: »
    NKOTB were top of the charts.

Was it the New Kids on the Eastern bloc or the Western bloc?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The news broke when an East German minister announced that border controls would be relaxed during a press conference.

He was asked "when?". He didn't really have an answer, so he replied "now, I suppose".

East Germans headed for the Wall. The border guards had not received orders. Normally they would shoot, but they just stood down.

One of the quickest regime collapses of all-time.

A glory night!!

Where the children of tomorrow dream away
    In the wind of the change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We'd never heard of Croatia, say, because Yugoslavia was pretty much terra incognito.

Yugoslavia wasn't that much terra incognito. At that time we would holiday on Croatian island Rab among mostly German and some Italian tourists. I grew up in Slovenia, which was then part of Yugoslavia. Even then (I was 11) I was acutely aware how much more oppressive and closed communism inside Warsaw Pact was.

For us the fall of Berlin wall was exciting event and we realized our lives are going to change significantly. I don't think anyone actually understood how much of basket case communist economy was and how long and how hard it will be to dismantle it. Solidarity in Poland and fall of Berlin Wall started something that ended in war in Yougoslavia and wars in former Soviet Union. Not everything went to plan but it is still hugely positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I remember it very well.
    I was at home with my parents at that time and watched the TV news and we saw the wall being knocked down.
    And my first thought was "My God, the world is going to change... and not necessarily to the better..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was 14 at the time and remember watching it on the news but TBH I didn't pay much notice as to what was going on.

There were a few Germans living in our area who were very excited about it, they came here in the early 80s and bought isolated farmhouses to live a kind of hippy lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I was 20 at the time, watched it with my parents, remember it was on BBC news when their reporter John Simpson's report failed mid way during transmission. :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I was 16 and remember it being in the news, but no TV visuals stand out now.

Teacher at school brought it up in class, saying we should appreciate the amazing times we lived in.

I remember other events at the time more clearly though. Hillsborough. China. Acid house music. An amazing year.

A lot of disasters in the 80's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989

I remember around that time some German teenager took an airplane and kept flying it across Europe until he arrived in no less than Red Square in Moscow. That was a huge story at the time. This 18-year-old, actually:

Mathias Rust

I remember around that time some German teenager took an airplane and kept flying it across Europe until he arrived in no less than Red Square in Moscow. That was a huge story at the time. This 18-year-old, actually:

Mathias Rust

Yes! I remember something of that.

Mathias Rust

Wiki:

The incident aided Mikhail Gorbachev in the implementation of his reforms, by allowing him to dismiss numerous military officials opposed to his policies. Rust was sentenced to four years in prison (for violation of border crossing and air traffic regulations, and provoking an emergency situation upon his landing). He was officially pardoned by the Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet Andrei Gromyko, and released after 14 months in prison.

Gorby.

What a different world we could have now if he were allowed to continue the reforms.

I remember Gorby branded acid paper in 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Was it the New Kids on the Eastern bloc or the Western bloc?

Boston block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭dasdog

Quite a monumental day - I remember laughing at the haircuts and stone washed denim and moustaches from this backwater island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I remember it well. We sent Helmut Kohl a very competive quote to rebuild the wall but the ignorant ****er didnt even acknowledge our letter. We asked Bertie to put in a good word for us but no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I was in boarding school, 6th year.

We were all let off study for the night and sent to our years TV rooms to watch it. We knew what it meant, it was quite a remarkable night.

Advertisement