Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on appealing penalty points

Options
  • 05-11-2019 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Retracted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So you rear ended a car in slow traffic and a garda had sent you a fixed penalty notice as a result. I don't know quite on what grounds you feel that you have to successfully appeal about here so I'd say pay up.

However, if you feel hard done by then you can choose to not pay the ticket and take your chances in front of a judge. Get a solicitor if you want to take this route but it will cost you and a loss will likely end up with a higher fine and more points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why are you posting this query over multiple forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wouldn't fancy your chances in an appeal. You were not able to stop in time to avoid going into the back of the car in front of you.

The two cars in front of you were able to avoid a collision, you weren't because there wasn't sufficient gap between you and the car in front of you to allow for your reaction time and stopping time.

You should also have been able to anticipate the possibility of having to slow down or stop when you saw the car changing lanes / moving into the gap two cars ahead of you.

The car behind you also seems to have been able to stop without going into the back of you.

It seems you made a mistake. Acknowledge it and learn from it and you will be a better driver.

Appealing would risk double the points, a higher fine, solicitor's costs and possibly court costs. Unless you've left something significant out of your description I don't see what grounds you would have to appeal.

I'd take it as a lesson learned and accept the two penalty points and pay the fixed penalty notice within the 28 days before the fine doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I got as far as 'fast lane'...

Advertisement