Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LGBT and Islam

Comments

I think they’re just referring to the fact that they don’t want their children taught values by the school which are in conflict with their own values.

Oh no I get that bit sorry if I was not clear on that. I know what you are saying their issue is! I just do not see the placard in question being remotely representative of that to anyone but the person who wrote the placard.

As I said I have in the past argued slogans and placards do not need to be entirely on point. I defended a few times the "my body my choice" slogan in abortion for example from people who were yammering on about the exceptions to it. In fact I argue slogans and placards literally _cant_ be entirely representative and we should give them quite a wide margin of leeway!

But they should at least be a useful indicator of the message behind them. And "Dont confuse our children" - and what the actual issue you describe is - they are quite parallel to my reading of them. One appears to be not a representation of the other at all in any way I can yet see. But as I said - they may simply use the word "confuse" in a way I would use words like discovery - conflict - and other words around the concept of finding ones place in life. I use the word "confuse" more as an indicator as a failure in understanding which as I said is more insulting to their own children than I suspect they intended to be.
    My point is that parents will decide what is best for their own children in their particular circumstances

Which of course is only a good thing up to a point! We certainly as a society should not be giving complete free reign to parents in choosing what is best for their own children. And thankfully we as a society actually are not doing that. Their ability to make that determination is curtailed and limited in all kinds of ways in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

I don't live in a muslim country i live in a christian country. Why don't you post up those surveys? I have never claimed any of the above.

If an imam says xxxx about gays he does not represent all muslims.

If an christian preacher says xxxx about gays he does not represent all christians.

Is that so hard to understand?

Aside from the video

The fact remains that across the Muslim world the vast majority of Muslims hold dire attitudes towards Homosexuals. If you disagree with this statement then perhaps you could provide evidence to the contrary.

You cannot get around this fact, and I would say that your denials are a grevious insult towards Homosexuals...and in fact should illustrate to Gays that when the time comes they will be abandoned when faced with Muslim pressure

The Birmingham school episode and the pitiful response by the contemporary left shows this is happening already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Der Stier wrote: »
    Unfortunately research shows a lot more Muslims share this opinion than Christians.

What research are you referring to? I couldn’t find any research to support your viewpoint above as representative of Christianity worldwide, but as far as Christianity in the US goes -

Amid a changing religious landscape that has seen a declining percentage of Americans who identify as Christian, a majority of U.S. Christians (54%) now say that homosexuality should be accepted, rather than discouraged, by society. While this is still considerably lower than the shares of religiously unaffiliated people (83%) and members of non-Christian faiths (76%) who say the same, the Christian figure has increased by 10 percentage points since we conducted a similar study in 2007. It reflects a growing acceptance of homosexuality among all Americans – from 50% to 62% – during the same period.

Pew Research Centre

And Africa as a continent is pretty much evenly split between Christians and Muslims who condemn homosexuality with a population of 40% Christian and 45% Muslim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Islam has existed for 1000s of years and will be around 1000s more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If an imam says xxxx about gays he does not represent all muslims.

Yet his followers will continue to gleefully follow and attend his teachings regardless, with no media exposure and no complaints from anyone.

When a priest in Kilkenny wrongly suggested something similar, people walked out of church. A Bishop has publically called it inappropriate language. Now the Capuchin Order has expressed their deep regret and outlined clearly their views for the inclusion of all

And Africa as a continent is pretty much evenly split between Christians and Muslims who condemn homosexuality with a population of 40% Christian and 45% Muslim.

My own experience is quite limited I admit but in that experience the Christians who have an issue with it condemn homosexuality as you say above. The Muslims I have encountered with issues about it however condemn the homosexual. More often than not expressing the view point they should be killed or at least imprisoned.

The "hate the sin love the sinner" mentality is one I heard more often from Christians than Muslims. In fact I struggle now to recall a single Muslim expressing it to me. But this is _online forum_ Christians and Muslims mostly and we know that is not always representative either.

So I wonder when we say "evenly split" are we being a little vague there as to what exactly the split entails and in what proportions? I have no idea - I have not actually looked at the stats for Africa. And in fact I would wonder if they even made that kind of distinction when compiling them?

In their defense though - I would also suspect people conducting that research are prone to asking different questions of the two groups. Given the rep Muslims have - I would not at all be surprised to find studies of their attitudes to homosexuals specifically asked what should be done with / to homosexuals while studies of Christians simply did not think to / care to ask.

I would have to read the studies in question I guess. To which African statistics do you refer specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Aside from the video

The fact remains that across the Muslim world the vast majority of Muslims hold dire attitudes towards Homosexuals. If you disagree with this statement then perhaps you could provide evidence to the contrary.

Please point me to the survey that clarifies this
    You cannot get around this fact, and I would say that your denials are a grevious insult towards Homosexuals...and in fact should illustrate to Gays that when the time comes they will be abandoned when faced with Muslim pressure

One of my children is gay, surprisingly, no pressure from Muslims, plenty of abuse from christians.
    The Birmingham school episode and the pitiful response by the contemporary left shows this is happening already

Wheres your outrage at the westboro baptist church and their protests?

Yet his followers will continue to gleefully follow and attend his teachings regardless, with no media exposure and no complaints from anyone.

When a priest in Kilkenny wrongly suggested something similar, people walked out of church. A Bishop has publically called it inappropriate language. Now the Capuchin Order has expressed their deep regret and outlined clearly their views for the inclusion of all

The same goes for westboro baptist church, where's your outrage there? A bishop? Who was the priest? Link tonthe story and the bishops comment please.

The same goes for westboro baptist church, where's your outrage there? A bishop? Who was the priest? Link tonthe story and the bishops comment please.

It made headline news today/yesterday incase you missed it:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/
    Needless to say Tom Forde will either need to resign, or clarify his comments.

Do the Baptists call for jail or death to the gay folks?
    Doubt it somehow.

Which of course is only a good thing up to a point! We certainly as a society should not be giving complete free reign to parents in choosing what is best for their own children. And thankfully we as a society actually are not doing that. Their ability to make that determination is curtailed and limited in all kinds of ways in fact.

I wasn’t suggesting that parents be given completely free reign in choosing what is best for their own children. It’s only my personal belief that parents do know what is best for their own children. I don’t think other adults who are not the children's parents are in any position to know what is best for someone else’s children in terms of the religious, moral, intellectual, social and physical education of their own children. The State too is limited by numerous laws in terms of it’s reach into the private affairs of the family as the fundamental unit of society.

That’s not something that society as such really has any control over, and that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned because it has been demonstrated throughout history that it is better for children to remain with their parents where this is possible as opposed to separating children from their parents and raising them in the care of the State.

Those would really be extreme examples though as opposed to what we’re talking about here which is a conflict of cultural values.

• Advertisement

And for the 17th time on this site, I'll give the following statements.

Catholic church's problem: Clergy.
    Islam's problem: Congregation.

Muslims in Ireland: Like Americans visiting Ireland.
    Muslims in their own countries: Alabama on steroids.

I've been to Sharia areas and it's quite different to the craic you'd have with Mohammad in IT. I don't personally have an issue with individual Muslims. They're sound. But once there's enough in an area that their religion compels them to act according to their religion, it comes up against everything the West stands for.

Is that a bad thing to say? No. I believe the vast majority of Muslims are sound and have no problem with homosexuality for example. The problems crop up when there's enough of a community that those personal beliefs need be forgotten because the religion is so harsh that people need to conform.

It's barely arguable to be honest. It's peer pressure religious worship that causes the issues. The West have largely moved past that and we're happy to tell someone to fak off. The same can't be said for "ghettos" where like it or not, they have to follow the religion closely.

I've been to Sharia areas and it's quite different to the craic you'd have with Mohammad in IT. I don't personally have an issue with individual Muslims. They're sound. But once there's enough in an area that their religion compels them to act according to their religion, it comes up against everything the West stands for.

Is that a bad thing to say? No. I believe the vast majority of Muslims are sound and have no problem with homosexuality for example. The problems crop up when there's enough of a community that those personal beliefs need be forgotten because the religion is so harsh that people need to conform.

It's barely arguable to be honest. It's peer pressure religious worship that causes the issues. The West have largely moved past that and we're happy to tell someone to fak off. The same can't be said for "ghettos" where like it or not, they have to follow the religion closely.

Do you really think it’s an issue of peer pressure due to religious worship, or is it an issue of peer pressure due to culture, and religion is used as a convenient excuse?

Do you really think it’s an issue of peer pressure due to religious worship, or is it an issue of peer pressure due to culture, and religion is used as a convenient excuse?

Religion imo.

I used to be friends with a few rich Afghani tea traders here in Vietnam. Alone, few beers nay bother. Together, it's tea and cokes. They act based on who's watching.

It made headline news today/yesterday incase you missed it:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/
    Needless to say Tom Forde will either need to resign, or clarify his comments.

Do the Baptists call for jail or death to the gay folks?
    Doubt it somehow.

I did miss it, so one priest said that, does he speak for all christians?

Maybe look up the westboro baptist church and see hiw vile they are for yourself.

Wheres your outrage at the westboro baptist church and their protests?

Twice (Three times now) you mention 'wesboro' in 'whaboutery', which on the last count has a gongregation of 40 (four. zero.) essentially it's just a small family (the Phelps) based cult organisation.

It is also rejected and rightly condemned by all mainstream Christians and is denounced by the Southern Baptist Conventiion.

Religion imo.

I used to be friends with a few rich Afghani tea traders here in Vietnam. Alone, few beers nay bother. Together, it's tea and cokes. They act based on who's watching.

Reminds me of a woman i know live in Kells, mid 40's and still wint touch a drink or ciggy when the mammy is around.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

Could it be that certain groups are subconsciously influenced by the great deceiver. So even when on the surface they have different and even totally contradicting Ideals and even in smaller groups appear virtuous and out for the greater good...in the end, they all come together to support each other against Christ and the christian message of repentance and faith.

So I wonder when we say "evenly split" are we being a little vague there as to what exactly the split entails and in what proportions? I have no idea - I have not actually looked at the stats for Africa. And in fact I would wonder if they even made that kind of distinction when compiling them?

In their defense though - I would also suspect people conducting that research are prone to asking different questions of the two groups. Given the rep Muslims have - I would not at all be surprised to find studies of their attitudes to homosexuals specifically asked what should be done with / to homosexuals while studies of Christians simply did not think to / care to ask.

I would have to read the studies in question I guess. To which African statistics do you refer specifically?

I’m not referring to any studies specifically when I mentioned the African population of both Muslims and Christians, but rather I was making the point that the poster I was replying to seemed to ignore the fact that there are many more Christians globally than just those in Europe or the US.

The point I’m getting at is that I don’t think condemnation of homosexuality really a product of any specific religion, but rather one of culture, and religions tapped into that and formed their ideas around it, rather than the other way around. I think the correlation between the majority of people who have issues with homosexuality and are also either Christian or Muslim is simply a question of numbers as opposed to the idea that they condemn homosexuality or homosexuals because an old book tells them to. I think that’s a rather simplistic correlation that ignores many cultural factors which influence their condemnation of anything which is outside of their cultural norms within their own culture.

I did miss it, so one priest said that, does he speak for all christians?

Nope, hence the media exposure, Bishops intervention (with public aplogoy), the immediate public walkout, and a likely resignation to follow.

The question is, would any of the same have happened within the next largest religion, of course not.

• Advertisement

Twice (Three times now) you mention 'wesboro' in 'whaboutery', which on the last count has a gongregation of 40 (four. zero.) essentially it's just a small family (the Phelps) based cult organisation.

It is also rejected and rightly condemned by all mainstream Christians and is denounced by the Southern Baptist Conventiion.

Someone quoted one imam, even if hebhas a congregation of 10,000 its miniscual compared to the Billion muslims across the world.

The point is you get nutjobs/extremists in ALL religions yet heres you lads banging the anti islam drum loud and proud.

Nope, hence the media exposure, Bishops intervention (with public aplogoy), the immediate public walkout, and a likely resignation to follow.

The question is, would any of the same have happened within the next largest religion, of course not.

How do you know no one walked out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So what? He's preaching shìte, there are christians preaching the same shìte.

Should we tar all with the same brush?

It would be hard to find Imams that would disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Could not agree more !!! I have lived and worked abroad in Islamic Country's and have many Muslim friends. Sound does nor even begin to describe them, they will invite you into their homes, and you will be treated the same as Family. Any of these guy's are more than welcome to come and visit me anytime. Their most pressing problems are same as anyone's here in Ireland....keeping the bill's paid, mortage's, car, educating the children etc. And on a scale of say 1 to 10, with 1 being the hard core isis group, to 10, being the group that on a given day, would give a fair shot at drinking an Irishman under the table. Basically the only ones you have to worry about are the Nr.1's. The rest are just doing their best to get on with life. But like you said, when they accumulate in large Nrs, then the Religious element kicks in, then it become's "herd" mentality, and it's usually started by elements of Group Nr 1..

jmreire wrote: »
    Could not agree more !!! I have lived and worked abroad in Islamic Country's and have many Muslim friends. Sound does nor even begin to describe them, they will invite you into their homes, and you will be treated the same as Family. Any of these guy's are more than welcome to come and visit me anytime. Their most pressing problems are same as anyone's here in Ireland....keeping the bill's paid, mortage's, car, educating the children etc. And on a scale of say 1 to 10, with 1 being the hard core isis group, to 10, being the group that on a given day, would give a fair shot at drinking an Irishman under the table. Basically the only ones you have to worry about are the Nr.1's. The rest are just doing their best to get on with life. But like you said, when they accumulate in large Nrs, then the Religious element kicks in, then it become's "herd" mentality, and it's usually started by elements of Group Nr 1..

But surely it’s the same thing from their perspective? You’re sound out on your own, but when you’re in a group of like minded individuals, you demonstrate a completely different attitude towards them?

Perhaps if either of you were honest with each other, neither of you would think the other is at all as sound as you think they are :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Diceicle wrote: »
    Ok. However, in a 2016 survey of UK Muslims some 52% would make being gay illegal - not gay acts - just being gay. And that's Muslims in the westernised UK who want that.
    Tbf, just under 25% wanted the Sharia implemented - that is still about 5 times too high imo.

I already made that point to that poster and it was conveniently ignored.

• Advertisement

But surely it’s the same thing from their perspective? You’re sound out on your own, but when you’re in a group of like minded individuals, you demonstrate a completely different attitude towards them?

Perhaps if either of you were honest with each other, neither of you would think the other is at all as sound as you think they are :pac:

Not quite Jack, for a practicing Muslim, everything, and I mean everything,he does is dictated to him by Islam. In the non-Islamic world we don't have anything like that. So People here will form groupings etc. but nothing to compare with Islam. When a Muslim is out and about, and in company of other Muslims his behavior will be impeccably Islamic. He / she will not want to appear to be "less" Islamic than the other's. But in the privacy of his own home, he may be a different man,,,,put his feet up, light up a shiska pipe, and have glass of wine ( or something stronger ) But his grouping while he remains a Muslim,will always be Islamic. At the other end of the Muslim scale, you will have the isis / taliban type.And these guys will always be critical of other Muslims behavior...as not being "Islamic" enough.
    Grouping's here in Ireland , Eu etc. will be shifting and changing....nearest " stable" one's I can think of would be the GAA, FAI etc. or similar Name your favorites here, if you like. So it's not a case of comparing like with like. I have met Muslims, who I am very happy to call my friends, but I have met the other kind too. It's not a clear cut one size fits all situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I can't see anyone stopping being catholic over this, they've done much much worse.

I can't see anyone stopping being catholic over this, they've done much much worse.

However that wasn't the question: Would any of the same have happened within the next largest religion? A. Of course not.

I.e. Headjob individual makes a clearly crazed statement, people rightly walk out of the church as it is spoken in protest, it makes national headlines the next day, Priest will likely be forced to resign, apology and clarification issued by his Bishop very soon after.

Reminds me of a woman i know live in Kells, mid 40's and still wint touch a drink or ciggy when the mammy is around.

Well, when I was growing up ( still work in progress ) one of the land marks to becoming accepted as an adult, was smoking the first cigarette in front of the Parents....the first pint was another. Up to a certain age, these were thing's you would not do, because you would get a belt from your Dad ( and maybe even worse from your Ma !!! ) So there was an element of fear in it. But with the 40 year old Lady you speak about, ( I know several around here as well ) It's not because they are afraid or anything like that, but because they don't want to burst the bubble of their Mother's illusion of the perfect Daughter, who never smoke or drank. And it is something she likes to boast about to all and sundry. I know one elderly gentleman, who was proudly telling me that his son, Tommy had never smoked or drank in his life....while in reality Tommy would smoke like a chimney, and drink the cross off an asses back.The whole pub were listening to this, but to their credit, they all kept straight faces, and no one contradicted him. But of course, for that one night, Tommy was on the orange juice,,,and out to the toilet for a smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This topic shows that as much as we preach equality as a society we allow exemptions in how we apply this and if your apart of a minority you dont always have to play by the rules.

The problem with having exemptions when it comes to stuff like this is that if you give it to one group, you keep the inequality alive and eventually it shifts to other groups.

To clarify most Muslims i have worked with and chatted with (and its been allot) are just everyday people like most Irish folk just trying to keep their head above water (only met one bad apple but same for Irish). However in the west we seem to have a bigotry of low expectations and we allow minority groups discriminate against others.

In Ireland its the traveller's who have some fairly misogynistic and toxic masculine culture, in the UK Muslims seem to be exempt from living by the same equal standards that the rest of society live by. We can see examples of this in the rejection of LGBT teachings in schools or the rise of antisemitism.

• Advertisement

So it's not a case of comparing like with like. I have met Muslims, who I am very happy to call my friends, but I have met the other kind too. It's not a clear cut one size fits all situation.

It’s a case of comparing like with like alright, but you’re only comparing Christians in Ireland with Muslims in countries in the ME.

The reason I make the point is that Christians in Uganda for example wouldn’t be anything like Christians in Ireland either, nor would Christians in the US be anything like Christians in Ireland. I know what you’re describing and it would be commonly referred to as virtue signalling -

Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values. Academically, the phrase relates to signalling theory and describes a subset of social behaviors that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious. In recent years, the term has been more commonly used within groups to criticize those who are seen to value the expression of virtue over action.

Among their own groups they express a particular set of beliefs and behaviours, in private they hold a very different set of beliefs and behaviours. Very much like here many people would condemn prostitution for example, but it still goes on, much as it does in predominantly Muslim countries too.

It’s true it’s not a case of one size fits all, and I’m not so naive that I’d imagine all Muslims are benign, pacifist types, any more than I’d be trying to argue all Christians are benign, pacifist types. We know there are extremists in both groups, and I wouldn’t immediately say that their condemnation of practices or beliefs which they find objectionable are as a result of religion, but rather as a result of their culture, or rather their peer groups which they want to be seen to fit in with. That’s why you’ll often see a conflict if you know of any gay Muslims or gay Christians between their identities as either being gay or being Christian or Muslim - they’ll often hide that part of themselves because they want to fit in with their peers.

This is one of the reasons why frankly I detest what has evolved into the gay rights movement in Western society. I disagree with their politics. Their politics are exclusionary - they aren’t based upon sexual orientation or gender any more, but rather they are based upon a person’s agreement and acceptance of their politics. Conservatives and religious gay men and women need not apply. They are scorned by the current political movers and shakers in the LGBT movement who claim to represent their interests, but really they don’t. They’re signalling that they are all about acceptance, but they don’t practice what they preach. If one wants to be accepted in the LGBT “community” nowadays, they have to hide the fact that they are religious, for fear of being ostracised.

It’s an odd sort of a turnaround, and I think the first I experienced of it was working for the Red Ribbon Project back in the mid-90’s, when all the scandals about the Catholic Church in Ireland were being exposed and I was kinda keeping my head down in work because I feared if people knew I was Catholic, I’d be hounded out of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

However that wasn't the question: Would any of the same have happened within the next largest religion? A. Of course not.

I.e. Headjob individual makes a clearly crazed statement, people rightly walk out of the church as it is spoken in protest, it makes national headlines the next day, Priest will likely be forced to resign, apology and clarification issued by his Bishop very soon after.

Very unlikely. So what?
    I'm use to other people having different opinions to me. If the Catholics choose not to do anything will you turn off the Angelus?
    Is the point that you don't like the Muslim faith because it's got ideas you don't agree with? That's all fine and dandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Anyone who supports or promotes Muslims / Islamic rights in this country is a fool. These people don't respect anyone who isn't a Muslim. Just say something remotely controversial to Muslims about Islam and watch what happens.

We're fairly tolerant as a nation, too tolerant in fact and our good nature is exploited by people who don't understand Irish values or culture. You won't see serious problems with immigration now but in 2040 and beyond it will start to ruin this country.

But diversity is great isn't it?

It’s a case of comparing like with like alright, but you’re only comparing Christians in Ireland with Muslims in countries in the ME.

The reason I make the point is that Christians in Uganda for example wouldn’t be anything like Christians in Ireland either, nor would Christians in the US be anything like Christians in Ireland. I know what you’re describing and it would be commonly referred to as virtue signalling -

Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values. Academically, the phrase relates to signalling theory and describes a subset of social behaviors that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious. In recent years, the term has been more commonly used within groups to criticize those who are seen to value the expression of virtue over action.

Among their own groups they express a particular set of beliefs and behaviours, in private they hold a very different set of beliefs and behaviours. Very much like here many people would condemn prostitution for example, but it still goes on, much as it does in predominantly Muslim countries too.

It’s true it’s not a case of one size fits all, and I’m not so naive that I’d imagine all Muslims are benign, pacifist types, any more than I’d be trying to argue all Christians are benign, pacifist types. We know there are extremists in both groups, and I wouldn’t immediately say that their condemnation of practices or beliefs which they find objectionable are as a result of religion, but rather as a result of their culture, or rather their peer groups which they want to be seen to fit in with. That’s why you’ll often see a conflict if you know of any gay Muslims or gay Christians between their identities as either being gay or being Christian or Muslim - they’ll often hide that part of themselves because they want to fit in with their peers.

This is one of the reasons why frankly I detest what has evolved into the gay rights movement in Western society. I disagree with their politics. Their politics are exclusionary - they aren’t based upon sexual orientation or gender any more, but rather they are based upon a person’s agreement and acceptance of their politics. Conservatives and religious gay men and women need not apply. They are scorned by the current political movers and shakers in the LGBT movement who claim to represent their interests, but really they don’t. They’re signalling that they are all about acceptance, but they don’t practice what they preach. If one wants to be accepted in the LGBT “community” nowadays, they have to hide the fact that they are religious, for fear of being ostracised.

It’s an odd sort of a turnaround, and I think the first I experienced of it was working for the Red Ribbon Project back in the mid-90’s, when all the scandals about the Catholic Church in Ireland were being exposed and I was kinda keeping my head down in work because I feared if people knew I was Catholic, I’d be hounded out of it :pac:

From my experience working in Islamic Country's ( and as I mentioned in an earlier post ) Muslim's are governed completely by the Koran, and it's not just a reference book for them, it's the Law, and there is no other. For every situation they find themselves in, they will go to the local Imam, who will consult the relevant section in the Koran to find the answer. There can be no discussion or changes made to the Koran. If the Koran says this is the Law, then that's it. There are two main branch's of Islam, Shia and Sunni, and there are variations between them as how the Koran is interpreted, but that's about it. A wahabbi I once worked with told that everything a man could or would want, he would find it in the Koran. Peace? Certainly. War? Certainly.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with culture, except that maybe the culture formed around the Islamic Religion?
    Catholics, on the other hand, have one central authority, The Pope. He is the final arbitrator of Christian doctrine world wide, so a Christian in Ireland, and a Christian in Spain, for example will all have the same "Hymn Book" to use a figure of speech. But we also have the Law of the Land, which is as you know, a completely different thing. This is the law that all citizens of the state are required to obey. So of course different Christian Country's will have different cultures, but the Catholic Church remains the same world wide.
    What I post here are my own opinion's, based on my experience's of working abroad, and Life in general. Do you consider that Virtue signalling ?.
    Sure we have all blended into the wood work when we had to.....wearing any outward sign of Christianity ( or even other religions ) Crucifix , Tattoo's etc would be inviting trouble, depending on which Country I was in at the time, and was best avoided. But amongst my Colleagues, I never hid or tried to hide my religion, because of what was happening in the Church itself.
    Are you really surprised that the LGBT is morphing into something else? Seems to follow a pattern...movement starts, with large following, then as time passes, changes occur. Maybe just a normal progression??
    The Red Ribbon Project was a very worthwhile endeavor, Kudos to you for that. How long were you with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Someone quoted one imam, even if hebhas a congregation of 10,000 its miniscual compared to the Billion muslims across the world.

The point is you get nutjobs/extremists in ALL religions yet heres you lads banging the anti islam drum loud and proud.

not all religions are the same, an extremist Jain would behave differently to an "extremist" muslim

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

From my experience working in Islamic Country's ( and as I mentioned in an earlier post ) Muslim's are governed completely by the Koran, and it's not just a reference book for them, it's the Law, and there is no other. For every situation they find themselves in, they will go to the local Imam, who will consult the relevant section in the Koran to find the answer. There can be no discussion or changes made to the Koran. If the Koran says this is the Law, then that's it. There are two main branch's of Islam, Shia and Sunni, and there are variations between them as how the Koran is interpreted, but that's about it. A wahabbi I once worked with told that everything a man could or would want, he would find it in the Koran. Peace? Certainly. War? Certainly.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with culture, except that maybe the culture formed around the Islamic Religion?

Yeah the Koran would be like the Bible in that way for Christians, each denomination of Christianity taking their own interpretation of it in much the same way as the various denominations of Islam would interpret the Koran. Roman Catholicism is only one denomination of Christianity though and while they have the Pope as the head of their Church, other Christian denominations wouldn’t recognise the Pope as the head of their Church at all -

List of Christian denominations

(It’s kinda like when you see people on here quoting Leviticus at Catholics, when Leviticus would only be relevant for Jews, and for Catholics they have Canon Law and the Catechism)

I’d say it was everything to do with culture because the application of Islam in one culture would be different in another culture, same as Christianity in one culture would be different in another culture. In the same way as Muslims could point to something in their religious texts and interpret it to suit themselves, Christians and Jews do the very same with their religious texts (although the Bible has changed much more over time than Islamic or Jewish texts).

Catholics, on the other hand, have one central authority, The Pope. He is the final arbitrator of Christian doctrine world wide, so a Christian in Ireland, and a Christian in Spain, for example will all have the same "Hymn Book" to use a figure of speech. But we also have the Law of the Land, which is as you know, a completely different thing. This is the law that all citizens of the state are required to obey. So of course different Christian Country's will have different cultures, but the Catholic Church remains the same world wide.

Yeah the Pope would be the central authority for Catholics worldwide alright, but he’s not the central authority for all Christians. That aside though, I think you’d still find Catholicism in Spain would be quite different from Catholicism in Ireland, or Poland, or Brazil - a country of 130 million Catholics, kinda puts Irish Catholics in the ha’penny place :D

Each of those countries have secular civil laws that are heavily influenced by religions which are part of their culture. That’s why when a poster earlier claimed that Ireland was a secular country, I disagree, we’re really not a secular country at all - we have civil laws alright, but our laws are still heavily influenced by Christianity because it’s part of our culture. It’s not all that different to the influence of Sharia in predominantly Muslim countries which also have civil laws.

What I post here are my own opinion's, based on my experience's of working abroad, and Life in general. Do you consider that Virtue signalling ?.
    Sure we have all blended into the wood work when we had to.....wearing any outward sign of Christianity ( or even other religions ) Crucifix , Tattoo's etc would be inviting trouble, depending on which Country I was in at the time, and was best avoided. But amongst my Colleagues, I never hid or tried to hide my religion, because of what was happening in the Church itself.

Oh jaysis no, what I meant when I said about virtue signalling was basically that Muslims, like Christians, like a lot of people really who want to fit in with their peer group whether it’s either religion or politics will try to show how, I suppose “dedicated” or “devout” they are to their peers, while behind closed doors they live an entirely contradictory private life. It’s a more pronounced difference the more value is placed in being seen to be more devout or dedicated to the cause. We do see it on social media the whole time where people who are just normal, everyday types will turn into utter bellends online. I’m kinda reminded of John Cleese’s take on extremism when I think about it -

It’s a relief to have an online exchange where there’s no point scoring or snide shìte and it feels like you’re just shooting the breeze :D

Are you really surprised that the LGBT is morphing into something else? Seems to follow a pattern...movement starts, with large following, then as time passes, changes occur. Maybe just a normal progression??
    The Red Ribbon Project was a very worthwhile endeavor, Kudos to you for that. How long were you with them?

Ach, to be honest I kinda was :pac: I know what you mean by it just being a normal progression though, kinda like the way all the various religions evolved and all claim to be promoting and representing the way everyone should live their lives, Stone Age virtue signalling as it were, before virtue signalling was cool :D

But seriously though, ahh I only worked for them in a voluntary capacity for about a year, I wasn’t one of the higher ups or anything and I kinda just fell into the job and wanted to help people out really. It was just when the scandals were exposed and that’s all people were talking about that I became more aware of the politics involved and I just kinda figured this wasn’t the place for me, so I left it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

silverharp wrote: »
    not all religions are the same, an extremist Jain would behave differently to an "extremist" muslim

What would an extremist Jain even do? Aren't they all fairly extreme in their behaviour without actually harming anyone? isn't that a misleading use of the term extreme?

This bugs me when people talk about militant atheists. A militant Christian/Muslim is Terrorist. A militant atheist is someone who talks about atheism/religion. to compare militant atheists and militant Christians is a total misuse of the term militant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I do not have a problem with those who believe in religion. It is their choice and if it brings them comfort good for them.But to me its ridiculous in this day and age educated so called intelligent people would buy in to the brain washing nonsense that was invented in order to control people would still exist.

Then people have always been sheep for the most part.I think anyone who believes in an invisible man, jesus, allah, buddah, the easter bunny , santa etc has something lacking somewhere,

Religion is santa for adults

I do not have a problem with those who believe in religion. It is their choice and if it brings them comfort good for them.But to me its ridiculous in this day and age educated so called intelligent people would buy in to the brain washing nonsense that was invented in order to control people would still exist.

Then people have always been sheep for the most part.I think anyone who believes in an invisible man, jesus, allah, buddah, the easter bunny , santa etc has something lacking somewhere,

That's one of the benefit's of a working democracy, you are free to choose. But to suggest that any one who DOES believe in a Religion, is some how mentally deficient is frankly insulting...

That's one of the benefit's of a working democracy, you are free to choose. But to suggest that any one who DOES believe in a the easter bunny, is some how mentally deficient is frankly insulting...

Now read your post again.

If i told you that i truly belived in the easter bunny you would think there was something wrong with me.

That's how i see religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

If i told you that i truly belived in the easter bunny you would think there was something wrong with me.

I prefer Leprechauns myself. Lots to be learned from Irish Legends and Myths.

jmreire wrote:
    That's one of the benefit's of a working democracy, you are free to choose. But to suggest that any one who DOES believe in a Religion, is some how mentally deficient is frankly insulting...

You can chose to be insulted. Doesn't mean you are right or not mentally deficient

My post actually read's :

" That's one of the benefit's of a working democracy, you are free to choose. But to suggest that any one who DOES believe in a Religion, is some how mentally deficient is frankly insulting..."
    Where in my post does it say "Easter Bunny". as you have mentioned? Maybe you should read my post again? But if you want to believe in Easter Bunny's, you just go right ahead, and with my blessing, that's your prerogative, and I will respect your right to your belief's, without feeling the need to labeling you as "Mentally Deficient".

You can chose to be insulted. Doesn't mean you are right or not mentally deficient

Using that criteria, you could be talking about every single person on the planet who believes in God. You think that is possible? I have never felt the need to make a comment like that about any person's belief's, or lack of them.

how can you take a person seriously when they believe an innocent child is born with original sin because the invisible man said so ?

how can you worship this said invisible man who supposedly created everything, and is all powerful but allows children born with diseases, and allows truly awful things happen.

How insecure is this all loving god that he would banish people to eternal suffering in Hell if they dont kiss his ass.

Tell me what intelligent person would believe in this God who is suppose to be all powerful but does shoddy work.
    His CV makes for atrocious reading.

Then there is his "staff" his so called representitives on earth, the largest paedo ring on the planet.
    The same organisation that banned condoms while the HIV virus was at epidemic levels.
    One of , if not the richest organisations on this earth, biggest landowners, but the biggest beggars you will ever come across.

If people want to buy into that lunacy, that is their choice, if they find comfort in it, good for them, but I have noticed the very same religious people who are quick to defend their rights and beliefs, are not very tolerant when people like me speak my opinion.
    If these people's faith is as strong as they would like us to believe, then surely my opinions would not matter.

but it does, because deep down , despite all the brainwashing, even religious people have doubts, and its only things like fear of death that has them hoping their invisible friend exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Then there is his "staff" his so called representitives on earth, the largest paedo ring on the planet.
    The same organisation that banned condoms while the HIV virus was at epidemic levels.
    One of , if not the richest organisations on this earth, biggest landowners, but the biggest beggars you will ever come across.

You do know that Christianity is more than just Catholicism?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You do know that Christianity is more than just Catholicism?

Obviously, but I was referring to the brain washing and mental child abuse i was subjected to in this country as a kid,

You do know a person can be a good person, have decency, morality, compassion and all the great qualities a human should possess, but not believe in fairies, santa, god, zombies etc

In fact religion has been responsible for more deaths than atheism.
    There was no atheist war, atheist suicide bombers, no agnostics begging at my door for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

how can you take a person seriously when they believe an innocent child is born with original sin because the invisible man said so ?
    You are in the wrong thread.

There are many other threads about what Christians believe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's debatable.

• Advertisement

If people want to buy into that lunacy, that is their choice, if they find comfort in it, good for them, but I have noticed the very same religious people who are quick to defend their rights and beliefs, are not very tolerant when people like me speak my opinion.
    If these people's faith is as strong as they would like us to believe, then surely my opinions would not matter.

but it does

Well, don’t take this the wrong way, and I mean this with the greatest of respect, and I’m not directing this at you as a person, but at your opinions. Your opinions give the impression that you’re a mentally unstable arsehole. You may not be a mentally unstable arsehole and that’s all fine and dandy, but in order for me to take your opinion seriously, I’d have to get over that hurdle first.

You do know a person can be a good person, have decency, morality, compassion and all the great qualities a human should possess, but not believe in fairies, santa, god, zombies etc

Yep, and I’m sure you too are aware that a person can be all of those things too and believe in fairies, Santa, God, zombies, etc. People can hold all sorts of beliefs and opinions that you don’t agree with or that I don’t agree with, and that still wouldn’t mean they were a bad person. I don’t think you’re a bad person either. I mean, you sound like an intolerable arsehole that I couldn’t bear to listen to for any length of time, but I don’t think you’re a bad person either.

There was no atheist war, atheist suicide bombers, no agnostics begging at my door for money.

I wasn’t aware killing was a competitive sport, but to say religion has been responsible for more deaths than atheism is comparing apples and oranges really. Atheism doesn’t have any beliefs or doesn’t have any sort of a structure built around an ideology, it’s just... the antonym of theism. That’s all. It wouldn’t make any sense to suggest that atheism or non-religious positions would be responsible for anything, let alone deaths.

Anti-theism on the other hand is an ideology, an ideology which motivates people to kill others for their beliefs. That’s people who kill other people and cause death and cause other people to suffer who don’t share their ideology. That’s comparing like with like - competing ideologies.

On that score, if you want to frame killing for ideology as a competitive sport, people of differing ideologies have always been killing each other. I don’t think anyone’s been keeping score, and because I don’t imagine you adding to that tally any time soon, I’m not going to take anything you have to say seriously. If I thought you were an ideologically fundamentalist extremist who I considered could ever possibly present a credible threat, then perhaps I might be more inclined to take the threat at least, seriously.

Advertisement