Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your favorite type of World Cuisine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ballyargus

There's a lot of drivel spoken here about British and Irish food being underdeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

When eating out, Lebanese or Indian.

Pizza and pasta, gnocchi, etc are all great, but I eat them so often that they don't seem that much like 'world cuisine' any more.

ballyargus wrote: »
    There's a lot of drivel spoken here about British and Irish food being underdeveloped.
    Enlighten us, Darina

(Any chance of a 10-spot?)

I would have trouble thinking of 5 distinct Irish dishes, tbh.

cuisine

a style or method of cooking, especially as characteristic of a particular country or region.

There is no cuisine of any note native to Ireland as other people have said.

Cuisine is not some recipe made up in Ballymaloe last week. It's a history of culinary tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

middle eastern cuisine is entirely too reliant on hummus

not very sophisticated alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

3-D8-CE9-F7-14-AC-46-E3-A5-FB-D404-F0-F2063-C.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Where is the 'Korean' option?

Theres a country that was dirt poor for centuries yet has a wide variety of meals and cuisine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

El Tarangu wrote:
    I would have trouble thinking of 5 distinct Irish dishes, tbh.

Stew
    Coddle
    Fry
    Roast
    Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Toss up between Indian and Thai for me. But I have a varied taste and can appreciate most things. Chinese, Italian, Spanish, Japanese (sushi - yum yum). Even cabbage, mash and bacon can be very tasty.

One beheading, coming up

Stew
    Coddle
    Fry
    Roast
    Guinness

Guiness is a part of a method or style of cooking?

glasso wrote: »
    Guiness is a part of a method or style of cooking?

I would take issue with 'roast' as well - surely this is a quite recent British import?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

retalivity wrote: »

Theres a country that was dirt poor for centuries yet has a wide variety of meals and cuisine

Other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Stew
    Coddle
    Fry
    Roast
    Guinness

Batch bread, breakfast roll.

Ipso wrote: »

ffs

glasso wrote: »
    Ipso wrote: »

ffs

Hard to make the case that the breakfast roll isn't a part of our national cuisine (indeed, it's a cultural phenomenon), albeit a relatively recent addition. I guess then we would have to add chicken fillet rolls to the list, also.

When did the meteoric rise of demi-baguette as a national staple begin, I wonder; when I was in college in the mid-2000s, everyone ate rolls all the time, barely anyone would order a sandwich. I only really remember square sliced pan sandwiches when I was a kid (there were those full baguettes, but I don't think they were ever sold as sandwiches); I guess it happened at some point in the late 90s(?)

I don't remember any shops from my childhood having a hot deli counter, either - when did they start coming in?

El Tarangu wrote: »

I don't remember any shops from my childhood having a hot deli counter, either - when did they start coming in?

To answer my own question - just found this very interesting & accessible history of the the breakfast roll on Reddit -http://www.socresonline.org.uk/16/2/2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People were ordering rolls from delis when I was in school in the 90s. Cuisine de France bread is disgusting doughy crap.

• Advertisement

People were ordering rolls from delis when I was in school in the 90s. Cuisine de France bread is disgusting doughy crap.
    It was around about 1996 in my part of the world. I only remember because my Dad had one of the petrol stations, and nearly had a fit when the Spar started doing Cuisine de France avec beaucoup des notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It was around about 1996 in my part of the world. I only remember because my Dad had one of the petrol stations, and nearly had a fit when the Spar started doing Cuisine de France avec beaucoup des notions.

I first noticed it when I was in 6th year or so in around 98 but it had probably been going for a while already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You can taste the sugar in it too.

Though if you get one and leave it overnight it would be a handy weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mediterranean , lots of fresh veg and fruit , pasta and salads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That poll needs Korean

bread in Ireland is thoroughly shyte compared to say France. occasionally you get something decent in a nice restaurant.

places like "the natural bakery" are charging high prices for complete muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Watch Floyd on Britain and Ireland. Our food is great. Look at what chefs like blumenthal are doing with recipes that are 400-500 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Tomato on a fry is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Watch Floyd on Britain and Ireland. Our food is great. Look at what chefs like blumenthal are doing with recipes that are 400-500 years old

absolutely love Keith Floyd, god rest him. That Stanglers theme tune is a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

retalivity wrote: »

I thought the same.I lived in Korea for 10 years,been back in Ireland about 5 years now and am always on the lookout for a good Korean restaurant. Theres some half way decent ones in Dublin but nothing special.Ive taken to importing some staple ingredients and giving it a go myself (i never once cooked in Korea!) very mixed results so far!

Advertisement