Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a few songs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 theguiltyfolk

Very reminiscent of Nick Drake. Lovely voice and guitar playing. The soundcloud song is well-recorded and nice to listen to. Overall, I like it.

If I was to nitpick, the intros are a little long for me, but that's a personal preference. It's hard to make out the words in places (esp. in the youtube song) but from I could make out I thought lyrically you were a little unfocused from time to time.

Good luck, though, this is good stuff.

Aidan
    www.facebook.com/theguiltyfolk

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Very reminiscent of Nick Drake. Lovely voice and guitar playing. The soundcloud song is well-recorded and nice to listen to. Overall, I like it.

If I was to nitpick, the intros are a little long for me, but that's a personal preference. It's hard to make out the words in places (esp. in the youtube song) but from I could make out I thought lyrically you were a little unfocused from time to time.

Good luck, though, this is good stuff.

Aidan
    www.facebook.com/theguiltyfolk

Thanks for the comment and thanks for listening. Its good of you to take the time and give a proper listen.

I listened to the stuff on that link and i have to say i enjoyed the light hearted self aware nature of the songs. The christmas song in particular i thought was very well put together lyrically and i reckon it would strike a chord with anyone who has had to work in a shop/ pub over christmas (as ive done it myself and knoe how you feel)

The style strikes me as something that would come across very well live and i enjoyed it.

Thanks again,
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Washingt0n

Hey man,

Really liking the music, I agree with the above, reminiscent of Nick Drake in a very cool way I love it! So cool, love the guitar work!

By the way was that Laura MacCabe on that Youtube video?

Thanks for letting us listen,
    Kevin

http://www.myspace.com/kevinmajmusic

Washingt0n wrote: »
    Hey man,

Really liking the music, I agree with the above, reminiscent of Nick Drake in a very cool way I love it! So cool, love the guitar work!

By the way was that Laura MacCabe on that Youtube video?

Thanks for letting us listen,
    Kevin

http://www.myspace.com/kevinmajmusic

cheers man, thanks for listening and commenting,

and yeah thats Laura Mc cabe, It was for a mate of mine who was doing a project for her media masters in IADT. hence, the telly show format. Laura presented the project and i sang the song for it, getting a recording in the process which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 theguiltyfolk

jethro081 wrote: »

The style strikes me as something that would come across very well live and i enjoyed it.

Thanks again,
    Brian

No problem, thanks for listening. Live and light-hearted is my thing, so thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I like this, it is very relaxing music and nice to listen too on a rainy day :p

Very well recorded too

Tallon wrote: »
    I like this, it is very relaxing music and nice to listen too on a rainy day :p

Very well recorded too

thanks for listening man, glad you liked it.

Here's one more for those of you who are interested, i think ill just throw them in this thread as i upload them,

feedback very would be very much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxc8OcgY0RI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Viktoria

I really enjoyed listening to you. Beautiful atmosphere, especally in the first song, which sounds perfect. Love the effects on both voice and instruments.

• Advertisement

here's another, im only involved in this as a guitarist, as my friend wrote the vocal and sang it beautifully,

http://soundcloud.com/brian-sewell-music/fade

i took the poem a drinking song by WB Yeats and wrote a melody for it, and here is me singing it. I'm not sure if this counts as me writing a song or not, but the music end of it is mine. i love the poem though.

http://soundcloud.com/brian-sewell-music/a-drinking-song-wb-yeats-poem

heres another new one, its the first ive recorded on bouzouki and im still learning the instrument, but im happy enough with this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIvgP_prUIQ

after a year or more of not putting anything online, i have a new one up, and i'd appreciate any opinions ye fine folks might care to share.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-sewell-music/shadows-and-overtones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

after a year or more of not putting anything online, i have a new one up, and i'd appreciate any opinions ye fine folks might care to share.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-sewell-music/shadows-and-overtones[/QUOTE]

Well jethro

Very nice song real smooth guitar sound but your words are a bit hard to follow at time maybe if you could tell me a bit more about the song itself, Thanks.

dogmax wrote: »

https://soundcloud.com/brian-sewell-music/shadows-and-overtones[/QUOTE]

Well jethro

Very nice song real smooth guitar sound but your words are a bit hard to follow at time maybe if you could tell me a bit more about the song itself, Thanks.

thanks for listening and i'm glad you liked it.

just wondering, do you mean it's hard to hear the lyrics as i sing them, or hard to make sense of them? cos the typed lyrics are posted beneath the song on soundcloud if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Nice one, really like it! Possibly needs something to counteract that very dominant line of bass notes that you're picking. Maybe another instrument or a variation on the guitar as it gets a bit repetitive.

thanks for listening and i'm glad you liked it.

just wondering, do you mean it's hard to hear the lyrics as i sing them, or hard to make sense of them? cos the typed lyrics are posted beneath the song on soundcloud if that helps.

Well jethro

First of all i would have like if you had told me more about the song itself but before i start i just want to say if Im right about your song you've got one very powerful song here, a song in my mind no DJ would refuse to play.

Last night i listen to your song without reading your words and half way through i pause because i needed to read your words not because i couldn't hear them but yes i was a bit confuse, so after i read your words i listen to your song again and for to me this is what your song is about.

The first few verses is telling me about a person who turn to drink because of torture memories of childhood abuse, this is when i pause to read your words.

The last two verses before the last two lines confuse me as to where, the last two lines has me guessing religious order abuse but i could be wrong there.

If im right about this song then you should put a few words together just to explain what the song is about, words like (this song is about religious order abuse) or something to that affect that way you get people to listen to your song again and again, as i said jethro very powerful song a song in my mind no DJ would refuse to play.

But If im wrong then what you posted (hard to make sense of them?) is correct.

So jethro, is this a very nice song or im i right, a very powerful song.

https://soundcloud.com/#pat-feely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXoqHVbekI&feature=player_detailpage

hey,

I'm wasn't fobbing you off, i was just unsure as to what you were asking. Firstly i'd like to say thank you very much for paying the song such attention, and for taking the time to post on it.

As to the meaning behind the lyrics, there are certainly elements of what you're getting at, but it doesn't speak to abuse in the clerical or traditional sense. this isn't a song about sexual or physical abuse.

you are right in saying it's about a turn to drink to combat unwanted memories. The song is more about coping methods, or the lack thereof. The references to good sense leaving are supposed to signify the fallacy of the choices the subject of the song has put into place, and the fear of facing into said choices and taking steps to combat the problems they themselves have created.

the idea is that escapism has become the problem in and of itself. that's what the two verses you reference speak to with the closing doors to ward of decisions.

In any case, the source of the problem is less the issue than the misguided attempt to deal with it, and the refusal to face into the fact that it's not being dealt with at all.

i hope this is of some help and doesn't ruin the song for you.

thanks again for your comment and attention.
    Brian

• Advertisement

Thanks jethro

Sorry i came across that you where fobbing me off i do apologise for that, it just that at times i do get carries away with what im writing which sometime as you know its a good thing.

The words and music of your song can certainly open up many areas of thoughts for many different people, me included, im not confuse anymore. wink.png

Powerful song jethro, Thanks.

Thanks jethro

Sorry i came across that you where fobbing me off i do apologise for that, it just that at times i do get carries away with what im writing which sometime as you know its a good thing.

The words and music of your song can certainly open up many areas of thoughts for many different people, me included, im not confuse anymore. wink.png

Powerful song jethro, Thanks.

not a problem at all hey. and of course, there is a lot to be said for writing with some passion. :)

i really appreciate your comments, and i'm very touched that you took the time to read into the lyrics with such depth.

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Nice one, really like it! Possibly needs something to counteract that very dominant line of bass notes that you're picking. Maybe another instrument or a variation on the guitar as it gets a bit repetitive.

thank you man, yeah i have written a few complimenting ideas on banjo and piano, but i'm not in a position to record them at the moment. but i do agree, a bit of a contrast musically is probably needed, this is more a bare bones recording.

thanks for listening and commenting hey. i really appreciate it.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-sewell-music/claim-the-low-ground

another new one lads. i'd like to say again, i appreciate the time ye have taken to listen and comment. Means a lot like. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HughieQ

your songs are great man .....all the best..HughieQ......

Advertisement