Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faverite Bars, Nightclubs...

• 18-05-2001 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I was just thinking there to myself and just wondering what are the best bars or nightclubs to go out to...

so which one's are the best???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As long as it's not full of underage bud/cider swilling kiddies making total twats of themselves, I've no particular preference, although I would recommend "An Síbín" (O'Connell Street, Limerick) and "O'Donoghue's Irish Bar" (Hersonnisos, Crete).

The Bleeding Horse (Dublin) is quite nice too, and the beer in the Porterhouse (Dublin) is great and doesn't give you a hangover.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

No mention of any Cork pubs??

I don't blame you, few pubs up here are anything more than watering-holes. The only difference bieng whether they fit into under-age, student, or misc. category.

That said, the UCC college pubs are quite nice, but don't touch the stuff they brew on campus, its so bad, that when you order one, the bartender waits until you've taken a sip to ask you whether you want to exchange it (no joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Pheobes nite clud Thurles, Co. Tipp...
    very big, good sound system, excellent music, n the crowd aint half bad! smile.gif

as for youngin's, they all go to Hayes's!

4got to mention thursday nites - £3 in n all drinks £1!!! Happy Days! biggrin.gif
    "just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 18-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

The High Stool bar, limerick
    Termites, limerick
    Club FX, cork

all excellent atmopsphere/music

Durty auld MORRIS drums...
    they're fu*kin' great!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Shooter's in parnell street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭DJ Flick 2001

i know bout shooter's. anywhere else in Dublin??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:

Club FX, cork

</font>

you can't be serious can you??

The place gets fumeagated (spelling???) once a month. Its an under-age heaven, the music is chart-only, the drink is overcharged, and it has no athmosphere of note.

Then again I got dragged in there too often, against my will, by mates, so maybe I'm just biased smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:
    The High Stool bar, limerick
    Termites, limerick
    Club FX, cork

</font>

Question Boddah:
    Do you prefer The High Stool to what Quinns used to be like? (same owners, same crowd an all.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Schwarzfahren

Best club in cork = Savoy, gan flippin' amhras! Henry's a close second ( for the music midweek )
    I agree with nesf. But when you are out with 10 o' your friends, it's always where you end up.
    The Roundy is a class pub, despite the rumours of it being a gay bar ( who gives a $hit? ) Bodega is one of my favs. also.

"Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est"
    -Francis Bacon
    Schwarzfahren.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Bruxelles - Dublin.
    Fred Zeppelin's - Cork.
    Mc Garrigles - Sligo.
    Valhalla (Fibber's) - Dublin.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Advertisement

I'd give a $hit if it was a agy bar!!!! FU<K Man, u insane??!!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Whelans: Wexford Street, Dublin
    Humphreys: Ranelagh, Dublin,
    Stags Head, Dublin,

The Stores, Wexford town, Wexford

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:

The place gets fumeagated (spelling???) once a month. Its an under-age heaven, the music is chart-only, the drink is overcharged, and it has no athmosphere of note.

Then again I got dragged in there too often, against my will, by mates, so maybe I'm just biased smile.gif
    </font>
    well maybe i'm judging the place prematurely, i've only been there once as i go to uni in limerick (on a thursday night) but i got good impressions of the place...music very much to my taste...but maybe a regular knows better smile.gif

they're fu*kin' great!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darthmise:
    Question Boddah:
    Do you prefer The High Stool to what Quinns used to be like? (same owners, same crowd an all.)
    </font>
    umm, i dunno, cos i only started goin there about 7-8 months ago when i came to limerick
    im a regular now tho. best jukebox EVER + class bands and a usually good atmosphere tongue.gif

they're fu*kin' great!!

Does any1 know what the SFX is like???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Q bar or sinnots i like them

SFX is how could i put it nicly A HOLE!!! trance dance techno ravers whacked outa there face on E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Schwarzfahren

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'd give a $hit if it was a agy bar!!!! FU<K Man, u insane??!!!...</font>
    Its not an "official" gay bar or anything. I like it 'cos it's gota well dressed up crowd, excellent djs, nice decor, lots of classy chicks. The people who call it "gay" are those among us whose attire for a night out consists of a celtic jersy, blue jeans and orange runners and a knacker 'tash. The other option if you get sick of the "posers" in trendy pubs such as this is to pay a visit to the well know crehes of "Tavern" or "The Maltings" and meet your younger brothers friends on a underage drinking spree. I'd like to hear what people have to say about less sterotypical Cork student pubs...

"Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est"
    -Francis Bacon
    Schwarzfahren.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The Kitchen.
    HQ.

as for pubs, McTurkels(sp?), Porter House and Thomas Reids are usually where I am to be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Langton's in Kilkenny is good.

Dont know many places around the country.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Palace, Camden Street ....

... not so much a meat market as one of those oversized meat warehouses.

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

why does everyone make posts about the "best somewhont or other"? as if they can't find out themselves or have to repy on other people's opinions.

If i was a moderator, i'd lock these topics from post 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Slimelight - London

Open 10:00 PM
    Closed 7:30 AM

'bout the size of a fekkin' WAREHOUSE!
    Two floors
    Great music
    Really decent crowd
    Well priced drinks
    "Gloomy Hour" from 10:00 - 11:00

In Galway, Sally Longs. Used to go to Liquid, but it's ****e now...

Dublin, I've only been to a couple of places.
    Valhalla AKA fibbers is nice.
    And this teeny likkle goth club beneeth Frazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DadaKopf:
    why does everyone make posts about the "best somewhont or other"? as if they can't find out themselves or have to repy on other people's opinions.

If i was a moderator, i'd lock these topics from post 1.
    </font>

even though i posed one of these threads in the past i have to agree with you. it is getting fu<king ridiculous, people asking what your favourite bar, drink, scene from a film, band, guitarist, living guitarist, author. ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hummm Well for a nice peacfull drink it would have to be Lamb doyles. For a bit of a more busy place it would be the q bar.Then going out with be The temple r red box r the pod e shooters smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil3030:
    even though i posed one of these threads in the past i have to agree with you. it is getting fu<king ridiculous, people asking what your favourite bar, drink, scene from a film, band, guitarist, living guitarist, author. ffs.</font>

Ah, but we never get comments like this when its a "best Buffy photo" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the 'tradition' for us TippInst (clonmel) people....

drinks in McCarthys (best pub ever, and if ever find urself there, say hello to dave!!) then it's up to McGowans, and then it's off to Dannos to get ******ed out of your mind biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Nothing like a nice dark field and some lovely swill *cough*i mean dutch gold..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

I have to say i'm quite partial to the hitching post in Leixlip. Good crowd, fair prices, nice niteclub + pub, good music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

flick arnt u only 16 and havnt even got a fake id! how do u expect 2 get into these places, i know u go to young wesley, but thats bout all u will get into!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yes Rory, its quite the gentlemen's club alright. Why I remember often staying there till the wee hours discussing poetry over a snifter of port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i like to wet my whistle in the Lord Edward beside Christ Church in Dublin. Excellent service and the drink is plenty.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 partyman28

well craig, u never said what urs is... let me guess.... YOUNG wesley??? i think so, seen as thats the only thing u go 2!!! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

The Colosseum new ross..wat a classy place..
    the blocked toilets and arrogant bouncers ad character.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:

</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    well maybe i'm judging the place prematurely, i've only been there once as i go to uni in limerick (on a thursday night) but i got good impressions of the place...music very much to my taste...but maybe a regular knows better smile.gif

</font>

Try not to become a regular, its a nasty experience.

I forgot the savoy, nice but can be strict about sobriety at times. The oval is good, as in it has a direct link to a brewery, so the pints are top notch, the bad news is that the brewery is Beamish and Crawford biggrin.gif

Did I hear someone mention Dutch Gold, my student type cheap drink senses are on full alert biggrin.gif Horrible swill though, give me southy or a nice jd any day biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nesf (edited 22-05-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by partyman28:
    I enjoyed meetin those 12 year old girls smile.gifat young wesley last night so shut up lucy.pod </font>

lolololololol Really if thats the case my brother has sum friends u might like they're in the region of 11-12 wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rapier-q3

Tom Steele's, Empty Pockets, Sullies all Ennis.
    Charlie Chaplins in Limerick is good for chillin and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by the celtic tiger:
    I have to say i'm quite partial to the hitching post in Leixlip. Good crowd, fair prices, nice niteclub + pub, good music.</font>

omg your joking right? although i hope to god its changed in the last 5 years since ive been in there, dire kip full of scanky 14/15yr old women was my impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

K,

Even though I live in Salthill, keep the hell away from here (unless your 12 or ready to start a complicated relationship), and go in to town.

Town::Pubs
    ----
    McSwiggans
    The Kings Head
    The Skeff
    The Quays (nice, but not for the pub crawler)
    Buckfast Plaza (beautiful surroundings including drunken teenagers, regular Garda presence, CCTV, Air Conditioned)

Town::Clubs
    ----
    Cuba (My favourite club, caters for a wide taste in music, crowd is perfect, women are perfect, WAIT!; women are always perfect, especially when you are not going out with them, LOL). Just walk her home and invite yourself in for "coffee". But don't make too much noise making the "coffee", because I find that [woman]'s parents don't like to find their daughter having "coffee" with a complete stranger @ 4am, on the kitchen table!

Right, Pubs/Club/Galway there ya go!

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What's that fine place around the corner from Patrick Street and near that wee hostel (and the one and only sex shop... not that I'd frequent that kinda joint) in Limerick?... "Quinn's"?

FINE pub, that was.

Bard
    Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 partyman28

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DJ Flick 2001:

yes i am wit ali the man beast who has a calf the size of 2 mans thighs put 2gether, and who is ugly.

</font>

haha craig i heard u fingered ur first bird the other nite. u took ur time, considerin u r goin on 17 in august!!! can ne1 say looooooooseerrrrrrr... smile.gif i'm sure ali the manbeast wouldnt b 2 happy if i tell her. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by partyman28 (edited 04-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Dre has a great story about Fibbers smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

We have been invaded by the underrage virgins! Quickly, man the gatling guns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper:
    the 'tradition' for us TippInst (clonmel) people....

drinks in McCarthys (best pub ever, and if ever find urself there, say hello to dave!!) then it's up to McGowans, and then it's off to Dannos to get ******ed out of your mind biggrin.gif

</font>

Being another TippInst Clonmel dosser I too go to Dannos but I have to say that, although the women and the drink are good and it's a pretty decent club, the music is pure useless!

John (yes THE John!)
    john.filetap.com

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 06-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

HehE, RíRa in Dublin is my Home away from Home ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slosh:
    Dre has a great story about Fibbers smile.gif</font>

And I'm sure we can find some people who have plenty of stories about you... smile.gif

Al.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gambler:
    HehE, RíRa in Dublin is my Home away from Home ;P</font>

Oh Gambler, you beautiful person! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Discoballpaul

Whelans in Wexford street
    Hogans in Georges street
    The Globe in Georges street

all great places to hear good music and pick up cool chicks (i.e. not unmarried mothers from Tallaght with a face like a well spanked **** )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:

oreillys under tara street dart station
    </font>

I love that place... There's never anyone in there!!! I can just go in when I'm up in Dublin, have a drink, and hang around for ages looking through all the CD's I've just bought...

Looks really nice on the inside too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oreillys under tara street dart station,
    long stone behind pearce street garda station
    thomas reids on dame street
    stags head, parliment street
    zanzibar on the quays
    gravediggers in phibsbro
    mssrs maguires beside oconnel bridge
    tramco rathmmines
    bleeding horse potabello
    slatterys under stephens green shopping centre
    keoghs on south anne street (i think)

oh the list is endless....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Discoballpaul:
    i.e. not unmarried mothers from Tallaght with a face like a well spanked ****</font>

Leave your mother out of this. It is wholely unfair on her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement