Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning off v Plugging out

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This is what I get up to when I'm at home dying with flu!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

The fridge is the most trustworthy. :D

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

Too much plugging/unplugging causes contact wear. Thats why most sockets in Ireland/UK have switches.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's actually illegal to stock, sell, supply or store anything that doesn't comply with those.

So it's pretty comprehensive and you're very unlikely to find a dangerous one on sale here and it is actually illegal to stock, supply, sell, store etc them. So it's pretty well covered off in law.

About twenty years ago there was a flood of counterfeit fuses on the Irish/UK market (no kitemarks) I unwittingly bought some in an ESB shop onetime !!!
    My wife is driving me nuts at the minute after reading some articles about how a high percentage of fires start from appliances such as TVs remaining plugged in over night as opposed to just going on standby
    This was a problem with some 1970's models -not really an issue nowadays.
    P.S. Things such as phone chargers left plugged in are supposed to be a common reason for fires also

Counterfiet/fake/substandard chargers/power units/adaptors are still a big problem. Genuine ones should (in theory) be pretty safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yip

acf553018004b7fe8ab40199666c444c.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/news/mobile-phone-charger-sparks-house-fire-31013900.html

the fire brigade told the Herald that these cases are "run of the mill".

Dublin Fire Brigade were unsure of the origin of the charger that overheated and started the fire, but they warned people that plug in air-fresheners also need to be monitored carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only thing left plugged in over night usually is the fridge frezzer, dish washer, washing machine, and mobile broadband modem. Tablet and mobile plugged in to charge as necessary.

Usally unplug the TV and freesat box as no switch on socket, unless recording something.

If on holiday, eveything barr the fridge frezzer, even switch the cooker and hob off at the isolation switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭briany

Used to unplug everything, but 3 devices broke in a way that seems to be related to the plugging in and out, 2 tellies and a sky box. At first they took a while to switch on, then you'd have to do a bit of a raindance to get them to switch on, and then eventually they wouldn't switch on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Some things are designed to be left on standby mode. Constantly turning off and back on again will put a small spike of power through the components which shortens their life span. Whatever savings are made by switching off can be quickly eroded by the repair bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Calibos wrote: »
    40 years on this earth and never unplugged a thing.
    I unplug nothing, pain in the hole having to plug them back in
    Never unplug, and I'm yet to be convinced that there are significant advantages in doing so.

I bet you plug out your irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭Calibos

I bet you plug out your irons.

You mean the thing that has no on/off switch and is designed to get very hot very quickly once you plug it in. That thing? Yeah I unplug that when it's not in use just like I do the electric heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cheap electronics can cut corners on insulating wires and poor design can leave too small of a gap between the components making short circuits more likely.

There are some youtube videos where cheap chinese laptop and phone chargers were taken apart and it's pretty shocking how they are put together.

Be careful with crap you buy from ali express or in the 2 euro shop

But for properly designed electronics that meet the CE mark for quality you're safe enough leaving them plugged in. It's actually more dangerous to constantly plug them in and plug them out because this migh tdamage both the plugs/leads, and the wall sockets over time

It all depends on what kind of houshold you are in. if you have pets that might chew on cables, obviously, it's an added risk to leave them unattended with electronics. My mother in law lost 2 laptop chargers in a week and she didn't even notice that they had been chewed until I saw the sparks when I was visiting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

briany wrote: »
    Used to unplug everything, but 3 devices broke in a way that seems to be related to the plugging in and out, 2 tellies and a sky box. At first they took a while to switch on, then you'd have to do a bit of a raindance to get them to switch on, and then eventually they wouldn't switch on at all.

Skyboxes have a sleep mode,they can still record but use feck all power.My tv etc. is plugged into a surge protector,you have to move a massive cabinet to plug stuff out so it stays plugged in.You should actually turn off a Skybox before plugging it out,stops damage to the HDD inside due to the sudden power loss.

Have a buddy who's missus has OCD about plugging stuff out at night.If he wants to record something on late,tough-the Skybox is plugged out,no exceptions.It's actually being miserly more than safety on her part.

Advertisement