Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

LGBT and Islam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Here in Ireland Muslims are a minority. I would want to ring fence them for protection for THAT reason.

However their ideas.... Islam itself..... is to me one of the more dangerous and damaging and awful religions making it's way into our culture and I think it is fair game for robust attack and criticism.

And I am perfectly capable of affording extra protection to one and extra ire to the other without any internal contradiction. But for some people separating people, and the ideas in the brains of those people, is beyond them. To the point some people conflate criticism of Islam with hate speech or racism. Which could not be more ridiculous.

Plenty of good replies so far, but this I think is the closest thing to a complete answer to my original question so far, thanks.

Although I do think that for many (including those in the picture in the OP), are acting similar to the other point made - that the more radical side of the left make Islam a form of sacred cow, without actually giving sufficient thought to what it entails at the extreme end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've been scolded out of the Pride month thread for derailing it (apologies) so I'll ask here.

First off, this is a legitimate question, I'm not looking to bash/condemn anyone in the LGBTQ community, and I'm not looking to condemn Muslims or Islam.

I'm just genuinely curious about why there has been an increase, often at LGBTQ marches etc, of support shown by that community, towards the Muslim community.

lgbt_brum_web.jpg

I'm not saying that supporting one another and speaking out against bigotry and homoohobia together is a bad thing. I'm just surprised that the LGBTQ community support Islam, but condemn Christianity.

I can totally understand them condemning both, as both religions teach that homosexuality is wrong/sinful. I just don't get why one is supported and the other is not.

Again, this is a genuine question that I'm curious about so please don't drag it down to a mud slinging match.

Just going by the banner they seem to be against Islamophobia. You can frown upon Christians being fed to lions and still be a Jew.
    But I can see how it plays to the any equality I/we don't like is PC madness gone too far crowd.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The left believe in ringfencing minorities from criticism

Long standing practice

They've no time for minority white supremacists though. Hypocritical of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I cant speak for others but Im gay and personally I am not comfortable with such a huge and rapid influx of people with such intolerant beliefs in the country, and the rest of europe. I think the consservative and hardine beliefs of the average muslim makes most conservative catholics look comparatively mild and easy going , most muslims I know are at best apathetic and indifferent towars lgbt community and their 'lifestyle choices', and of course complete intolerance is the most common attitude towards gay people within the islamic community. So I cant say I am as concerned about any injustices done towards the islamic community as many other irish gay people seem to be when that group generally display such utter disdain towards the lgbt community

Probably because one community which suffers discrimination and hatred can empathise with other demographics who experience the same.

Yet the islamic community dont share the same feeling of empathy towards the lgbt community?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Harley Embarrassed Wuss

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yet the islamic community dont share the same feeling of empathy towards the lgbt community?

I don't personally think of it as a tit for tat thing.

I'm a queer woman so I can relate to your feelings of unease but look, I've worked with, lived beside Muslims, I interact with them literally every day and I've never had a problem. I'm sure there are those in the community who are less tolerant and less integrated so I'm not interacting with them and I'm sure there are those with whom I am interacting who disapprove but get on with things, but my experience just doesn't match up with the hysteria that's being pushed.

If the values of the West- tolerance, secularism, inclusisivity are superior to those of the Islamic world- intolerance, theocracy, bigotry then we should surely be extending those good qualities to those who have been poisoned by the bad ones. Demonstrate tolerance, let homophobia try to hold up through actual contact with normal gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

LGBT should stand with their brethren in Chechnya
    Chechnya LGBT: Dozens 'detained in new gay purge'

Islam is the predominant religion (95%) in Chechnya, a country that claims to "have no gays".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are a host of bizarre positions taken by many on the modem left.

Often the only deciding factor is the pigmentation of the party.

So the guy above with the God hates fags sign is pointed out as an asshole, same as that preacher from Arizona.

Say that gays must die in an Islamic society and be beaten in others, unaccompanied women must be beaten, Jews must be killed, even if they are kids etc, you'll be recived by the Labour Mayor of London, those with the same views will be feted across countries by the Left, no one will take note because it is now familiar practice.

Mps will attend gender segregated meetings whoring for votes.

The block vote is a big driver in this, in many countries.

• I'm a queer woman

I've always wondered and hope you may be able to enlighten me. What is the difference between gay and queer?

I've tried to find the answer online but get various different answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm surprised to see the LGBT community supporting Islam. Because a significant portion of the followers of Islam would be happy fcuking them off the top of the tallest building they could find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Check out the Apostate Prophet on YouTube. He's an ex muslim from Turkish/German background (but now living in the States) with first hand experience of their brainwashing. His videos will change how you view islam.

biko wrote: »
    LGBT should stand with their brethren in Chechnya
    Chechnya LGBT: Dozens 'detained in new gay purge'

Islam is the predominant religion (95%) in Chechnya, a country that claims to "have no gays".

I believe they do. You can disagree with people without being racist towards them. I'm no fan of the Roman Catholic Church but I'd give it's member that same respect I'd give anyone else. Can you imagine boycotting or wanting to remove members of the Catholic faith because you believe in gay rights and the right to choose?

Actually, I just read above and realise it's a hate Islam/Muslim thread, no worries. G'wan lads...

I've always wondered and hope you may be able to enlighten me. What is the difference between gay and queer?

queer is just an umbrella term for anything you identify as other than straight, maybe they dont fully identify as just gay or bisexual etc

Queer would be anyone falling under the LGBT+ umbrella, gay woman would be specifically lesbian. Gay women are queer (though obviously people prefer specific terms for themselves) but not all queer women are gay. I'm bisexual but queer is a convenient shorthand for these kinds of conversations.

• Queer would be anyone falling under the LGBT+ umbrella, gay woman would be specifically lesbian. Gay women are queer (though obviously people prefer specific terms for themselves) but not all queer women are gay. I'm bisexual but queer is a convenient shorthand for these kinds of conversations.

Ah ok. That makes sense. Always confused me. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Queer would be anyone falling under the LGBT+ umbrella, gay woman would be specifically lesbian. Gay women are queer (though obviously people prefer specific terms for themselves) but not all queer women are gay. I'm bisexual but queer is a convenient shorthand for these kinds of conversations.
    i may be wrong but it seems to me that the term "bi-sexual" has lost some of its currency in recent years?

i may be wrong but it seems to me that the term "bi-sexual" has lost some of its currency in recent years?

Still works in my house! How do you mean, like everyone's fcuking pansexual and stuff?

Took me long enough to be able to choke the words "I'm bisexual" out loud I can't be arsed changing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,976 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

K.Flyer wrote: »
    There have been protests outside a school in the U.K. by muslims, some who have no family or children using the school, because the school is introducing LGBT into certain lessons.

I've seen those Protests in Birmingham on the news/etc.
    Some of the protesters don't even have kids in the school or relatives.
    It's hilarious watching some of the videos.
    They said ''A Gay'' in a certain tone.
    They protesters clearly don't want for kids to learn about different types of families.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Still works in my house! How do you mean, like everyone's fcuking pansexual and stuff?

Took me long enough to be able to choke the words "I'm bisexual" out loud I can't be arsed changing it now.
    dunno just got the impression that bisexuality hasnt been taken super seriously by da community lately

Actually, I just read above and realise it's a hate Islam/Muslim thread, no worries. G'wan lads...

Many posts showing Islamists hate gays, including refusing to have kids learn about LGBT in school.
    Matt thinks that means this is a hate Islam thread

Matt, you need to stop shooting the messenger ;)

• Advertisement

dunno just got the impression that bisexuality hasnt been taken super seriously by da community lately

Never was tbh! Not by everyone obviously but there's always been a strain of bi-erasure and biphobia from within the community. We're greedy, confused, can't accept we're just gay, we're teases, have personality disorders, claim straight privilege and queer identity at the same time etc etc.

Hand on heart I've never had a Muslim say any of that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Many posts showing Islamists hate gays, including refusing to have kids learn about LGBT in school.
    Matt thinks that means this is a hate Islam thread

Matt, you need to stop shooting the messenger ;)

You should invest in a proper soap box. Set yourself up outside Central Bank or something. You're getting a little too predictable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Amazing how leftists will come to the aid of Islam whenever it is condemned for the evil actions of the radicals within that religion but yet when the Catholic church is condemned for the evil actions of those within it's ranks, they are silent, or getting the boot in right along with those condemning and sneering at that particular religious denomination.

Not the only thing which the left is philosophical inconsistent on of course, it's a hallmark of theirs, but it's a biggie given how Islam in the main views and treats homosexuals and women. So why do they do it then?

Well, I agree with Michael Savage who sees leftism is a mental disorder, and I believe one day it will seen as such. All these people want is each other's approval and nothing gets more approval in leftist circles than supporting something which threatens the traditions and values of Western society.

It's why 'Straight, white, male' has become an insult. As that is who they see as their enemy. They've been raised that way. Our education system over the last 30 years has been stripped of male influence and we are now seeing the fruits of that as we have young white guys in their 20's going around insulting people for being white and male and prattling on about how there's a patriarchy in our society and rape culture etc etc. These people did not lick off the grass. They have been fed this crap.

Even a principle like 'Innocent until proven guilty' is something which they have challenged and continue to challenge. They are dangerous and particularly so as they have such a foothold in so many areas of our society. Areas where legislation is being drafted and what's on our curriculum is being decided upon. Propaganda is a huge tool in their arsenal also as can be evidenced by how much of the media it is which they have control over.

With regards to only a small amount of Muslims having radical beliefs, Ben Shapiro has a good video here which goes through the statistics worldwide on just how many Muslims it is that support Sharia law:

The term does seem to be losing it's meaning. I read a personal issue post from someone who was mad at her female friend because she wanted to go to pride to pick up another girl for a threesome with her fella. Now in my mind this would make the friend bisexual. I mean, she wants to sleep with both a guy and girl. But everyone seemed to think the friend was way out of order and taking advantage of pride. Just boggled my mind a little.

Amazing how leftists will come to the aid of Islam

It's amazing how you keep peddling this nonsense no matter how many times you are told it is not correct.

MrFresh wrote: »
    You should invest in a proper soap box. Set yourself up outside Central Bank or something. You're getting a little too predictable here.
    At least my feeling on the topic are crystal.

Gays are good.
    People that hate gays are bad.

For several others it seems to be - gays are good, and people that hate gays are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Amazing how leftists will come to the aid of Islam whenever it is condemned for the evil actions of the radicals within that religion but yet when the Catholic church is condemned for the evil actions of those within it's ranks, they are silent, or getting the boot in right along with those condemning and sneering at that particular religious denomination.

Not the only thing which the left is philosophical inconsistent on of course, it's a hallmark of theirs, but it's a biggie given how Islam in the main views and treats homosexuals and women. So why do they do it then?

Well, I agree with Michael Savage who sees leftism is a mental disorder, and I believe one day it will seen as such. All these people want is each other's approval and nothing gets more approval in leftist circles than supporting something which threatens the traditions and values of Western society.

It's why 'Straight, white, male' has become an insult. As that is who they see as their enemy. They've been raised that way. Our education system over the last 30 years has been stripped of male influence and we are now seeing the fruits of that as we have young white guys in their 20's going around insulting people for being white and male and prattling on about how there's a patriarchy in our society and rape culture etc etc. These people did not lick off the grass. They have been fed this crap.

Even a principle like 'Innocent until proven guilty' is something which they have challenged and continue to challenge. They are dangerous and particularly so as they have such a foothold in so many areas of our society. Areas where legislation is being drafted and what's on our curriculum is being decided upon. Propaganda is a huge tool in their arsenal also as can be evidenced by how much of the media it is which they have control over.

With regards to only a small amount of Muslims having radical beliefs, Ben Shapiro has a good video here which goes through the statistics worldwide on just how many Muslims it is that support Sharia law:

The modern Left and the Left of old ate different beasts altogether.

We owe much of what made Europe such a great place to live to the old Left, basic rights and dignity for people which lifted millions out of slums and exploration.

That was when the Left was not a middle class hobby horse for those desperate for a guiding belief system and eager to control others thoughts.

The Jesuits of yore are the activists of today.

At least my feeling on the topic are crystal.

Gays are good.
    People that hate gays are bad.

For several others it seems to be - gays are good, and people that hate gays are good too.

Yet again you fail to see the distinction between objecting to discrimination against someone because of their religion and supporting the view of that particular religion. Except when it comes to Catholicism no doubt. You can disagree with the tenants of a religion without despising all persons who are a member of that religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

MSNBC said yesterday that it had canceled its Saturday afternoon television program featuring Michael Savage, the conservative talk radio host, after he made antigay remarks that the network called ''extremely inappropriate.''

Mr. Savage's program, ''Savage Nation,'' has been on MSNBC since March.

His joining the network angered gay and lesbian groups because of his outspoken stance against homosexuality.

The remarks made on last Saturday's show came in response to a man who called in during a discussion about airline security and told Mr. Savage that he should ''go to the dentist because your teeth are real bad.''

Mr. Savage proceeded to ask the man if he was ''one of those sodomists.'' When the man responded that he was, Mr. Savage said: ''You should only get AIDS and die, you pig. How's that?''

That Michael Savage?

• Advertisement

Why don't the LGBT signs says "LGBT against religious persecution" which would encompass all religions.
    Why do they focus on Islam only?

Objectively Christians are more persecuted worldwide.

Advertisement