Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2019, 20:38   #31
rgodard80a

I don't think the Brits done anything for anyone out of the goodness of their hearts however I'll give them

- the industrial revolution : steam engines, railways, clocks, compass etc
- the scientific process
- democracy ?
- we inherited their legal system, constitution etc
- production of steel ( bessemer process )
- chemistry ?
- better bridges / arches / steel bridges
- World War 2
- football

Most was sold through capitalism not donated, so can't exactly claim the moral high ground on it.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 20:40   #32
Omackeral

Celtic FC, the first British team to win the European Cup. Hail hail.

(2) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 20:50   #33
janfebmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
Churchill looked down on the Irish,
Other people would not be of that opinion, such as Brendan Bracken, an Irish Catholic, who was Winston Churchill’s closest friend in politics and minister of information in his wartime government.

Also do not forget Churchill made a speech to Irish nationalists in Belfast in 2012, when he defended the creation of a Dublin parliament: “History and poetry, justice and good sense, alike demand that this race, gifted, virtuous and brave, which has lived so long and endured so much should not, in view of her passionate desire, be shut out of the family of nations and should not be lost forever among indiscriminate multitudes of men.” He saw the new relationship of Great Britain and Ireland as fostering “the federation of English speaking peoples all over the world”.
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 20:52   #34
OldMrBrennan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post
Other people would not be of that opinion, such as Brendan Bracken, an Irish Catholic, who was Winston Churchill’s closest friend in politics and minister of information in his wartime government.

Also do not forget Churchill made a speech to Irish nationalists in Belfast in 2012, when he defended the creation of a Dublin parliament: “History and poetry, justice and good sense, alike demand that this race, gifted, virtuous and brave, which has lived so long and endured so much should not, in view of her passionate desire, be shut out of the family of nations and should not be lost forever among indiscriminate multitudes of men.” He saw the new relationship of Great Britain and Ireland as fostering “the federation of English speaking peoples all over the world”.
You might be thinking of a different Churchill.
14-03-2019, 20:58   #35
peasant

Cream tea

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 21:00   #36
janfebmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
You might be thinking of a different Churchill.
Typo, it was of course 1912. It was well reported at the time.
14-03-2019, 21:03   #37
two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
Churchill looked down on the Irish, like you Kermie.

I'ma go with: awesome music, television, literature, comedy.
That's not English. Maybe in the appreciating South Compton thread.
But great music, television, literature, comedy - I concur. Or "I feel you, bro."
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 21:09   #38
M.T. Cranium

What is actually understood by the term "Great Britain" when used in conversation? I think of Great Britain as the name of the island that contains England, Scotland and Wales. The term "Britain" is more or less the same thing but can often be taken as equivalent to the UK despite the fact that the UK includes Northern Ireland (for the time being). This confusion sometimes shows up in sports. Does the UK team at the Olympics assemble under the name UK or Britain? The Scottish curlers are always referred to as Britain on our TV coverage.

I think of Great Britain as the second most appealing island off the coast of Europe. Maybe third if Iceland could be included.
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 21:12   #39
OldMrBrennan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
What is actually understood by the term "Great Britain" when used in conversation? I think of Great Britain as the name of the island that contains England, Scotland and Wales. The term "Britain" is more or less the same thing but can often be taken as equivalent to the UK despite the fact that the UK includes Northern Ireland (for the time being). This confusion sometimes shows up in sports. Does the UK team at the Olympics assemble under the name UK or Britain? The Scottish curlers are always referred to as Britain on our TV coverage.

I think of Great Britain as the second most appealing island off the coast of Europe. Maybe third if Iceland could be included.
'Team GB' is the brand but the team is the UK.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 21:17   #40
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
I don't care who he gets, so long as I can have a go at the Greeks! They invented Gayness!
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 21:23   #41
igCorcaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post

I've always understood the term of Britain to be the geographical island. Maybe Great includes some of the islands. Not sure.
14-03-2019, 21:24   #42
igCorcaigh

I always have a sympathy with Wales though.

Did you know there was an attempt at a military independence campaign?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Wales_Army
14-03-2019, 21:26   #43
lbc2019

Alan Turing
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 21:28   #44
KaneToad

A nation that has to put 'great' into their name is compensating for something...
14-03-2019, 21:29   #45
lbc2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by igCorcaigh View Post
I've always understood the term of Britain to be the geographical island. Maybe Great includes some of the islands. Not sure.
Britain is England and Wales
Great Britain is England Wales and Scotland
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the countrys official name
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion