Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2019, 15:54   #31
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleerbun View Post
Imagine a word having that much power over you. Like imagine being in a fight or verbal confrontation with someone and always being hyper aware that, in amongst millions of other possible insults, that the other person could at any moment say a word that would make you absolutely and completely lose your shït. It may be easy for me to say but the word would lose all power if people just decided not to be offended by it
People are odd ,
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 15:57   #32
my3cents

FAT
(3) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 16:48   #33
Hector Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
Isn't it mental that a sound that come out your mouth can be offensive even out of context,

For instance a comedian ( can't remember the name ) on Netflix had his contents removed from there ap because he used the word not in a hateful way either but then Netflix PR guy used the word in a meeting describing the first incident and he was fired , For literally describing what had occurred,

Its absolutely crazy ,
Exactly what I'm talking about.
Netflix is bat**** crazy though, they have an official rule where you aren't allowed make eye contact with a female for longer than 5 seconds, you need to look away, even if you are in a meeting with her.

I remember seeing another news anchorwoman on a US station, and she was nearly in tears as she was describing such and such "using the ..." (sobbing)
"N word"
What is a person like that hiding ?
Why does she feel she needs to virtue signal like that ? Maybe she is a closet racist and needs to really mask it - dunno it's bizarre!
Look at this

The really frightening thing is (yes it's real) she is a planetary scientist for NASA - so you'd imagine some sort of intelligence there.

How f*cking condescending tho ?

"Let the little black people enjoy their film"
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 16:51   #34
Badly Drunk Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
Context?

There are very few contexts where it's not an offensive word.
Joseph Konrad wrote The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' in 1897 but it was published in the US under a different name, not because the N-word was offensive but just because the publishers didn't think people would want to read a book about a black man.

A new edition was pulished 10 years ago called The N-Word of the Narcissus, but the publishers said it wasn't censorship. They did it so people would find easier to access the story, rather than avoiding it due to the 'offensive' word.
(3) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 16:53   #35
RobertKK

Tax
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 16:55   #36
mfceiling

Louis CK (ohhh who's offended now) reckons saying "the n word" is worse than saying n*gger because if you say "the n word" you are making the other person say n*gger in their head.
25-02-2019, 16:57   #37
MarkR

Maga
25-02-2019, 16:59   #38
pleas advice
Banned

^ make acronyms great again
(4) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 17:09   #39
randd1

Calling somebody by their non-preferred pronoun seems to be the most offensive thing you can say out there at the moment.
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 17:15   #40
Your Face

Work
25-02-2019, 17:15   #41
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by randd1 View Post
Calling somebody by their non-preferred pronoun seems to be the most offensive thing you can say out there at the moment.

Man, oh, man. That's crazy!
25-02-2019, 19:30   #42
banie01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Savage View Post

The really frightening thing is (yes it's real) she is a planetary scientist for NASA - so you'd imagine some sort of intelligence there.

How f*cking condescending tho ?

"Let the little black people enjoy their film"
That movie really really irked me!
It's a bang average Marvel flick, not the Uber masterpiece that half the world praised to high heaven as a breakthrough "movie of colour"
Even it having Oscar wins over some other much much better popcorn fare generated by Marvel is annoying.
I heard it described as Nigga Cat, and I can't think of it anymore as anything else.

Racism is obviously a serious issue for those affected, and for those of us who are lucky enough to be gifted with the auld white privilege...
It's not "as" serious...

But the censorship of the use of words and of language because of the inferred hurt or potential banana skin of upsetting others, is to my mind the wrong way to deal with it.

As is claiming the word, as has become de riguer for many movements.
Yes, the idea of appropriating the word to diminish it's "power" is a nice thought.
But it all too quickly becomes a means of identity and ensuring the "right" people use the word.

I saw this tweet today and it struck me just how true it's becoming.
Outrage is becoming a default position.
Nuance, context and humour are subjective but unfortunately these days they are all to often not even considered.

https://twitter.com/itsprollygas/sta...030923264?s=19

Last edited by banie01; 25-02-2019 at 19:52.
25-02-2019, 19:31   #43
Jimbob1977

White
Thanks from:
25-02-2019, 19:32   #44
GMSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanevilla View Post
Moist gusset.
Is that you Susie Dent?
25-02-2019, 19:36   #45
The Rape of Lucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Savage View Post
the N word ?
Yes nigger is quite an offensive word - but remember it's all about context!!
'N w**d' is more offensive really. Its a cynical have your cake and eat. We know what those using it are saying. They are racist, and want to use the alternative word, but use 'N w**d' to pretend they arent racist, pretend they arent using an offensive term, but they are fooling nobody. If you werent racist, you would have no use to use the word in the first place, nor any disguise of it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion