Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2019, 23:39   #76
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by votecounts View Post
On the day that one of their "soldiers" is charged with murdering innocent civilians, you think it is a great idea to have an appreciation for Britain, shame on you.
Right, lets ban everything British so. Our two countries are too intrinsically linked for that sort of nonsense. Reminds me of colleges banning the sale of nestle products due to formula milk in Africa. Never mind the children in mines in the Congo providing the batteries for our phones.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 23:46   #77
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Railways, the world wide Web, computer (says no), gravity, Australia, the English language, Chris Morris, Liverpool football club, Father Ted ( cos RTE would never have made it).
To be fair, I think gravity was around for a fair while before Newton named it. I don't think they can be credited with having invented it.
(3) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 23:57   #78
Franz Von Peppercorn

Coldplay.
15-03-2019, 00:03   #79
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
Coldplay.
The thread is about appreciating the Brits for all the good stuff they've done/given the world, not for reminding us that the country should be turned into a nuclear wasteland so that they can't inflict such horrors on the world again.
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 00:03   #80
Irish Guitarist

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 00:07   #81
my3cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Guitarist View Post

Her mother Hanna Daly was Irish.
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 00:07   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3cents View Post
Her mother Hanna Daly was Irish.
Anything to Gerry Daly?
15-03-2019, 00:17   #83
JayZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisar View Post
I'd nail that harder than Christ.
You’d want a bigger hammer and a longer nail than yours to get that job done.
15-03-2019, 00:40   #84
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Let's Make Britain Great Again.
It's people like us that are really turning that country around.
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 00:46   #85
RobertKK

Churchill was a racist, ran concentration camps, had people tortured, threatened to invade Ireland in WW2, was responsible for the Black and Tans, the partition of Ireland, partition of the Indian sub continent, millions of deaths in India.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...l-2118317.html

Far from something good about Great Britain.
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 01:07   #86
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
The thread is about appreciating the Brits for all the good stuff they've done/given the world, not for reminding us that the country should be turned into a nuclear wasteland so that they can't inflict such horrors on the world again.
Keane.
15-03-2019, 01:09   #87
dd973

The English, Welsh or the Scots, not a bother to me.

No time for the Tories, The Union Jack, British Army, Monarchy, Imperialism and the role they've played in the history of our island though.
15-03-2019, 08:24   #88
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
What is actually understood by the term "Great Britain" when used in conversation? I think of Great Britain as the name of the island that contains England, Scotland and Wales. The term "Britain" is more or less the same thing but can often be taken as equivalent to the UK despite the fact that the UK includes Northern Ireland (for the time being). This confusion sometimes shows up in sports. Does the UK team at the Olympics assemble under the name UK or Britain? The Scottish curlers are always referred to as Britain on our TV coverage.

I think of Great Britain as the second most appealing island off the coast of Europe. Maybe third if Iceland could be included.
Great Britain and Britain are the same yes. You are wrong about the island rankings though. Britain is an extraordinary island. Scotland alone is extraordinary in scenery. Wales is extraordinary too. England is more sedate but also beautiful, but still has wild areas like Cornwall and the Lake District. That’s just scenery, the cities and cathedrals and history are great in all of them.
15-03-2019, 08:33   #89
FrancieBrady

First, there were the Scots who kept holy the Sabbath - and everything else they could lay their hands on;
Then there were the Welsh - who prayed on their knees and their neighbours;
Thirdly there were the Irish who never knew what they wanted - but were willing to fight for it anyway.
Lastly there were the English who considered themselves self-made men, - thus relieving the Almighty of a terrible responsibility.
15-03-2019, 09:22   #90
janfebmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
Churchill was a racist.
Not according to Brendan Bracken, an Irish Catholic, who was Winston Churchill’s closest friend in politics and Minister of information in his wartime government. Look at Churchill track record: he had his Minister of information in his wartime government an Irish Catholic. By contrast, in this country, even in the decades after WW2, DeValera would not allow a Protestant to be a Librarian, hence all the controversy at the time with the County Council in Mayo. She might only have given out books to corrupt Catholic minds.

If he was a racist why would Churchill hav delivered his famous (or infamous if you want, depending on your point of view) to Irish nationalists, and in support of Irish nationalists in Belfast in 2012, when he defended the creation of a Dublin parliament: “History and poetry, justice and good sense, alike demand that this race, gifted, virtuous and brave, which has lived so long and endured so much should not, in view of her passionate desire, be shut out of the family of nations and should not be lost forever among indiscriminate multitudes of men.”

Not all is as black and white as you think. Millions of people of all races volunteered to serve for Churchill, including 100,000 from Ireland, who were treated fairly.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion