Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't record with my new Sky + box - Is there a workaround?

• 10-11-2018 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I just bought a brand new SKY = box with card, thinking I would be able to record with it. But it turns out you need a subscription...

Did I just waste €120? Or is there a work-around?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sky boxes can be bought for €30/40 on ebay. Only English channels on it when you don't have a subscription and you can't record.

If you want Irish/English channels get a combo box or consider a freesat box if you don't want the Irish channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just bought a brand new SKY = box with card, thinking I would be able to record with it. But it turns out you need a subscription...

Did I just waste €120? Or is there a work-around?

Yes that was a waste of money.

No there is no easy or cheap work around.

The Sky box is severely limited by Sky and impractical IMO without a subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sky boxes can be bought for €30/40 on ebay. Only English channels on it when you don't have a subscription and you can't record.

If you want Irish/English channels get a combo box or consider a freesat box if you don't want the Irish channels.

yes you can
    see my thread below

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Seve OB wrote: »
    yes you can
    see my thread below

Hey, Seve - can you give me a link to your thread - I did a search but I couldn't find the relevant one...

Thanks

Hey, Seve - can you give me a link to your thread - I did a search but I couldn't find the relevant one...

Thanks

its right above/below this one, about UK apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Thanks. I've got one of those cards coming to me in a couple of days. Any precautions needed? Does it matter if I am connected to the internet when pairing the card?

Thanks. I've got one of those cards coming to me in a couple of days. Any precautions needed? Does it matter if I am connected to the internet when pairing the card?

I just plugged and played
    my sky+hd box is connected via wifi
    pretty sure my card was is a white one, that might make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Seve OB wrote: »
    I just plugged and played
    my sky+hd box is connected via wifi
    pretty sure my card was is a white one, that might make a difference

The problem with using a uk card though is that you won't be able to get eir sports/bt sports as you have to pair an Irish card.

The problem with using a uk card though is that you won't be able to get eir sports/bt sports as you have to pair an Irish card.

it's only for free stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Do I understand this correctly?

If you have an out of sub UK card in a Sky+HD box in the UK, that you can use the recording function of the Sky+HD box for the FTA channels?

• Advertisement
Advertisement