Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the 9th November Dublins worst rush hour ever?

Options
  • 09-11-2018 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

A decent amount of rain, some strong winds and Friday evening traffic left 30km tailbacks on the M50 this evening and every road in Dublin pretty much gridlocked.

I am very pleased I was home before it all happened but looking at AA and Google I couldn't help but think this was the worst I've ever seen it.

Anyone else agree? Have you seen worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Definitely seen worse a few years back with similar weather the week before Christmas. There was a bin lorry on fire on the M50 today which added to things

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Worst traffic ever was the first big snow a few years back that caught everyone by surprise. Today wasn't that bad. My commute was only 15 mins longer than normal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

no absolutely not. that snow a few years ago was horrendous.
    and tbh last Tuesday was worse over 2 hours to for the quays to bray

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There was a bus broken down on Guild St heading north which didn't help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I was 30 seconds late getting into Mulligans tonight, dont think I'll ever get over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In so far as there was no snow or bad flooding, it was one of the worst for between 3:30 - 6pm.

Bin lorry on fire blocked m50 Southbound, which backed up to beyond port tunnel, and then 3 arena back to booterstown backed up due to u2 gig.
    M50 northbound also chaotic due to numerous crashes.
    Town was gridlock also as people went for different routes.

I'm sure certain routes weren't impacted, but it seemed a lot were.

The volume of traffic in general has exploded over the past 2 years or so.
    Rush 'hour' in the morning seems to be from 7:00 to 09:30 and home 16:00 til 18:30.
    Any incidents have a big impact, and when multiple incidents occur it can be bedlam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

My husband was only 30 minutes later than normal. Normally hes nearly home by 5.30 but by that time he was only at the quays, after that it flew. He has been much later sometimes on other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I had no delays but was listening to the chaos elsewhere on the radio. I worked in D2 for 17 years and live in D15 so would really have suffered last night had I not moved to D1. Door to door in 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

There were roadworks on at margarets road and a 3 car pile up in Finglas which both affected the routes the diverted traffic from the m50 incident. There was a set of lights out at the junction to Gullivers retail park in Ballymun too which didn't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The time that unfortunate woman was killed on the M50 entering from junction seven(hit by a truck) the entire city came to a standstill, it was by far the worst I've ever seen.
    After that the bus strike traffic a couple of years back was shocking, snow delays can be bad but most people don't really try to drive it in so the volume is rarely as big an issue.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was heading southbound over the M50 from Swords yesterday morning. Left around 11.30 or so. Traffic in the M1 was backed up as far as the airport junction as there was an RTC on the up ramp from the M1 to the M50. Just as I passed it there was a tow truck in situ ready to remove one of the vehicles. Then 2 minutes later I noticed some smoke drifting across the M50 ahead if me. Moved into the passing/fast lane so as to avoid any issues. When I passed the truck it was absolutely ripping it. DFB tender was on the northbound carriageway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not even vaguely. Got out nearly clear at 7pm, any day when there has been unexpected or earlier than expected snow have been way worse

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

That one day of biblical style rain back in October 2011 comes to mind. About 3 hours to get back to Celbridge.
    Was weird in a way to have it almost back to normal by the next morning. I remember a big chunk of the wall on the quays was washed into the Liffey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'd say it was the worst "wet day" traffic I've seen. My 20 minute cycle was 35 min that day due to the amount of bumper to bumper traffic out of town that I had to weave in and out of. You couldn't squeeze a fart up the quays that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Bad..but not the worst...

Best get used to it anyhow as traffic gets busier and busier

I still can't understand why people are willing to sit in a car for 90 mins to drive 7-10 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

jon1981 wrote: »
    I still can't understand why people are willing to sit in a car for 90 mins to drive 7-10 miles.

Coz public transport is plagued with "operational issues"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I genuinely cannot understand why the citizens/commuters of Dublin put up with this. I mean it's bad enough to be stuck in traffic like this but there doesn't even appear to be a plan to solve it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not even the worst rain in recent times. Late October in 2011 when the canals overflowed and a river ran through Dundrum shopping centre was far worse an event. The Liffey washed away a bridge up in the mountains and a poor Garda was killed trying to stop people crossing it. A dreadful reminder of how things can very quickly turn deadly.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Not even the worst rain in recent times. Late October in 2011 when the canals overflowed and a river ran through Dundrum shopping centre was far worse an event. The Liffey washed away a bridge up in the mountains and a poor Garda was killed trying to stop people crossing it. A dreadful reminder of how things can very quickly turn deadly.

Oh I do remember this, a poor Filipino-born Irish citizen nurse drowned in her basement flat. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for her in the last moments of her life. :(

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/floods-horror-drowned-nurse-screamed-for-help-for-10-minutes-26785760.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

jon1981 wrote: »

I spend over 90 mins on Dublin Bus just to go 12 miles, but to be fair it would be over 2 hours in a car

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Simona1986 wrote:
    Definitely seen worse a few years back with similar weather the week before Christmas. There was a bin lorry on fire on the M50 today which added to things

This had all exits from Blanchardstown to the M1 at a standstill since around 1:30pm.

I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the other side of the M50 for 10 minutes or so because everyone else wanted to slow to a crawl rubber necking.

I've often wondered why the concert dividing both sides of the motorway isn't higher, hiding accidents from view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

uch wrote: »
    I spend over 90 mins on Dublin Bus just to go 12 miles, but to be fair it would be over 2 hours in a car

Why are people putting up with this, I don't understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Got into the Luas at Spencer Dock at 5.25 pm. 22 minutes to get to Abbey St (Usually 14 minutes - I could have walked it quicker but it was lashing). Got on a further luas southbound from Marlborough St at 5.55pm and it took FIFTY MINUTES to get to Leopardstown Valley. 20 minutes of that was just to get to Stephen's Green! Usually it takes 35-40 minutes.

And that was on the Luas. You can imagine what it was like for anyone who was taking a bus. Worst I've ever seen it without snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

uch wrote:

you need a motorbike or scooter...
    When I commuted from lucan I used my motorbike.. 20 mins t city centre..
    Why are people putting up with this, I don't understand it!
    So what do you suggest?

We just need more density in the city core

Advertisement