Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite - need recording plus F1 and NFL

Options
  • 07-11-2018 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

We’re looking at removing Sky from our bills. We’re looking for a multi room solution which offers the standard FreeSat channels (if needed, our preference would be the U.K. channels) plus NFL and F1, with recording options.

I don’t think there are any but if I’ve missed something, I’d love to hear about it so I can stop being mugged by Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You could buy GamePass for NFL. That cost about e200 a year so I'm not sure if it would save you anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sky have the monopoly on F1. It is available on EIr sports but it is essentially Channels 4 coverage. Ch4 itself only has partial coverage, some live some highlights. Personally I can't stand the Ch4/Eir commentary team. Eir sports is available "free" to Eir BB customers IF you have a Sky box or use Microsoft web browsers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Only two more races left in the current deal. After that it will mostly be exclusive on Sky. Channel 4 will have the British Grand Prix (for as long as there still is a British Grand Prix; it’s only guaranteed for next season) live only and highlights of the rest, while eir won’t have anything.

Just to note as well, eir Sport do offer an iOS/Android app that is Chromecast compatabile to their eir Broadband subscribers. As I say it’ll be no good for F1 next year if thats your main concern. As for the NFL, you’ll get the London games and the Super Bowl on the BBC. Otherwise you’ll need to take GamePass or Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

If you want the NFL and F1, you have to stay with Sky.

As mentioned already, Sky basically have exclusivity on F1 from next season and while you could buy the Gamepass for the NFL, it has blackouts on anything broadcasted locally from what I understand.

Meaning you won't get any of the Sunday games shown on Sky, which are usually the best games of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

troyzer wrote: »
    If you want the NFL and F1, you have to stay with Sky.

As mentioned already, Sky basically have exclusivity on F1 from next season and while you could buy the Gamepass for the NFL, it has blackouts on anything broadcasted locally from what I understand.

Meaning you won't get any of the Sunday games shown on Sky, which are usually the best games of the week.

Actually forgot to mention blackouts

The 6pm and 9.30pm games that are shown on sky are not available on GamePass.

There is a huge thread on the American Football form about GamePass.

• Advertisement

or use Microsoft web browsers.

Or safari on Mac and android/iOS app with can chromecaat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Setanta Go website (which uses Silverlight) is for paying satellite customers. It doesn’t work for eir Broadband customers (who get the app I mentioned, that doesn’t work for satellite customers!). Yeah I know it’s a mess. The Setanta Go website was developed by Setanta before the eir takeover and although it’s still there eir have no interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

icdg wrote: »
    The Setanta Go website (which uses Silverlight) is for paying satellite customers. It doesn’t work for eir Broadband customers (who get the app I mentioned, that doesn’t work for satellite customers!). Yeah I know it’s a mess. The Setanta Go website was developed by Setanta before the eir takeover and although it’s still there eir have no interest in it.

As a linux user, I couldn't remember the name of the Silverlight browser plugin. This hasn't been available on Firefox or Chromium for years. Eir support told me to buy a used Sky box.
    Needless to say where there's a will.... cough, cough, RTL UHD and a bit of technology cough, cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As a linux user, I couldn't remember the name of the Silverlight browser plugin. This hasn't been available on Firefox or Chromium for years. Eir support told me to buy a used Sky box.
    Needless to say where there's a will.... cough, cough, RTL UHD and a bit of technology cough, cough.

Even MS have refused to have Silverlight in any of their recent browsers.

I remember when there was an attempt to have (was it Moonlight?) duplicate the functions of Silverlight, in Linux.
    I never succeeded in getting that working properly either.

I so wish that Flash and Silverlight would disappear immediately! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

OH might need to start watching tiddlywinks. Would a VPN improve things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If English isn't a must then you can watch NFL and Formula 1 FTA from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

lertsnim wrote: »
    If English isn't a must then you can watch NFL and Formula 1 FTA from Germany.

What setup is required for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A dish pointed at Astra 1 and a set top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I tried using foreign feed satellite for f1 with a radio commentary feed. Got it set up and working and first race day, signal disappeared due to weather or what ever.
    Fecked the whole lot away.
    If you have any kind of sky package, the f1 is a tiny additional cost. I guess if you get sky just for f1, it's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

mickdw wrote: »
    I tried using foreign feed satellite for f1 with a radio commentary feed. Got it set up and working and first race day, the signal disappeared due to weather or whatever.
    Fecked the whole lot away.
    If you have any kind of sky package, the f1 is a tiny additional cost. I guess if you get sky just for f1, it's too much.

Your dish was too small, an 80cm on the east coast and 110 in the west of Ireland and Aran Islands. Signal Reading of 80+.That,s for Astra 1 19e and Hotbird 13e.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Your dish was too small, an 80cm on the east coast and 110 in the west of Ireland and Aran Islands. Signal Reading of 80+.That,s for Astra 1 19e and Hotbird 13e.

I got a nice big triax dish specially for the job but I had it lined up for both sky and the foreign channel with 2 lnb on a bar. I'm sure that reduces the effectiveness of the dish.
    Anyway, f1 costs about 90 quid a year on sky over and above normal sky package so it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

mickdw wrote: »
    Anyway, f1 costs about 90 quid a year on sky over and above normal sky package so it's cheap.

Interested in how you work this out?

Advertisement