Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old 'South County Hotel' on Stillorgan Road

Options
  • 29-05-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

The old 'South County Hotel' on Stillorgan Road - what was the name of the disco in it in the 70s? Was it 'Flamingoes'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Drop The Hand I think it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I spent the 70s pissing and pooping myself, mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I spent the 70s pissing and pooping myself, mostly.

I thought that was Monday nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Flamingos and The Coconut Grove...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The Velour Mangrove.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thread moved to Dublin city. Please note the change in charters.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

bazza1 wrote: »
    Flamingos and The Coconut Grove...:)

Yes I had remembered the Coconut Grove part and Flamingoes sounds right! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Wasn't the nightclub later called Hollywood Fights.....eh Nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nodster wrote: »

I thought it was referred to as Jolly Good Fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Nodster wrote: »

Hollywood nights,then renamed deep i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Hollywood nights,then renamed deep i think.
    That's right, Deep was mid to late 90s, but was later re-named Hollywood Nights again.
    in the 80s there was the Pink Flamingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Was "Papillon" there in the 70's, before moving to Leopardstown or am I dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

donaghs wrote: »
    That's right, Deep was mid to late 90s, but was later re-named Hollywood Nights again.
    in the 80s there was the Pink Flamingo.

Was originally the South County Hotel, then bought and turned into Parkes Hotel, Bar was Coconut Grove, Restaurant was Peppermint Garden and Nightclub was Flamingos.

Hotel and Flamingos was used in quite a few Music Video & Film shoots, and venue for the IRMA's (Irish Rock Music Awards) after party each year. Lots of top 80's acts used to turn up, many stayed in the hotel.

Being the 80's, (when there was lots of organised car thieving going on), you'd regularly get gangs coming across the river to target the car park for all the flash motors. It was in the days where driving around North Wall you'd have to have your doors locked and windows up at junctions.

In the very late 80's/early 90's it was redeveloped and bar became the Bull & Bear and club was Hollywood Nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sea_point wrote: »
    Was originally the South County Hotel, then bought and turned into Parkes Hotel, Bar was Coconut Grove, Restaurant was Peppermint Garden and Nightclub was Flamingos.

Hotel and Flamingos was used in quite a few Music Video & Film shoots, and venue for the IRMA's (Irish Rock Music Awards) after party each year. Lots of top 80's acts used to turn up, many stayed in the hotel.

Being the 80's, (when there was lots of organised car thieving going on), you'd regularly get gangs coming across the river to target the car park for all the flash motors. It was in the days where driving around North Wall you'd have to have your doors locked and windows up at junctions.

In the very late 80's/early 90's it was redeveloped and bar became the Bull & Bear and club was Hollywood Nights...

The Bull, Bear & Broker was the bar after the Hollywood Nights name was dropped from the nightclub. Maybe for 1997 Ian’s afterwards?

Advertisement