Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    fly_agaric wrote: »
    I do wonder sometimes what will happen to the gender balance in the student population once the "STEM" issue is sorted out to the liking of feminists (50/50 intake in stuff like maths, computer science and physics).

I think, even with the unconscionably high numbers of males in Engineering courses its around 60 % female students overall in Irish universities (not that you ever see that little stat publicised much!).

Look Fly, you just have to realise that Feminism isn't about women it's about power. *

So equality doesn't mean equal in this context. It's merely a vehicle for gaining power, using the language of equality in a 1984 way.

*BTW I'd recommend spending 10 minutes watching Kate Andrews from the Institute of Economic Affairs forensically take apart UK Labour MP Stella Creasy when talking about the gender pay gap. It's a cold, calculated and brutally effective takedown Creasy's m'uh feels argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭iptba

One study suggesting some gender differences may be due to nature:
    Infant Behavior and Development
    Volume 23, Issue 1, January 2000, Pages 113-118
    Infant Behavior and Development
    Article
    Sex differences in human neonatal social perception

Abstract

Sexual dimorphism in sociability has been documented in humans. The present study aimed to ascertain whether the sexual dimorphism is a result of biological or socio-cultural differences between the two sexes. 102 human neonates, who by definition have not yet been influenced by social and cultural factors, were tested to see if there was a difference in looking time at a face (social object) and a mobile (physical-mechanical object). Results showed that the male infants showed a stronger interest in the physical-mechanical mobile while the female infants showed a stronger interest in the face. The results of this research clearly demonstrate that sex differences are in part biological in origin.

Under new performance compacts, higher education institutions face the risk of a cut of up to 10pc of annual State funding if they do not meet certain performance objectives, and gender equality has been included as one of those.
    [..]
    Another key measure in the plan requires colleges to set targets for the recruitment and promotion of women to senior positions and failure to meet such targets would be a factor in the level of State funding they receive.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pioneering-move-first-womenonly-professorships-in-place-by-september-37522616.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No
    OK i'm coming into this a bit late and see that Zulu has demolished your arguments fairly comprehensively (IMO)
    awwww shucks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I think it would be fine if it was just down to a shortage of people in general. So if there was a need for X number of people in STEM and the maximum number of men who even want to be in STEM had been reached.

Plus their actions are kind of self defeating in a lot of ways. On one hand they want more women in STEM but also on the other hand they also want more women taking Gender Studies etc.

So, for example, Gender Studies courses are in competition with STEM courses for students but at the same time they are campaigning for women to take STEM courses. That almost makes no sense.

Oh, that's not the only contradiction - as I often said here and on other venues, the #1 downfall of modern "feminism" is that it largely paints women as weak, insecure wallflowers of feeble mind and heightened sensitivities, incapable of facing criticism, humor nor the consequences of their own choices, and who need to be "protected" by some superior political "entity"...basically babies in adult bodies.

Personal experience with female friends, coworkers and family members tells me otherwise...luckily for us all.

We never will hear "we need more women in garages", "we need more women in metal working" or "we need more women on construction sites".

What I think we will hear instead is demand for a discussion on the "value" of the work.

STEM is an easy one because, as you say, it's not physically demanding. So they just say "too many men, get more women in here".

Lets say we are talking about a large supermarket chain. They will have more women on checkouts and more men in the warehouse. That's gonna be a tough one to equalize because the warehouse work could be demanding in a way that causes many women to say "i'd rather be on checkouts".

What's the "value" of the individual work though? That's what they will go after next, in my opinion.

That's a big one which I believe was discussed earlier: The simple fact that there are people who DON'T WANT to work in a warehouse due to the requirements of the job (handling heavy objects, being in a less-than-comfortable environment, moderate risk of accidents and/or injury) should be more than enough to explain the higher pay compared to somebody sitting at a cash register.

Going the way of "value" of the job is simply not possible, yet I think you're on the money here in terms of "what's going on".

Why should a man in the warehouse be paid more than a woman on the checkouts? They provide the same "value" to the company so pay them the same.

So you won't hear "we need more women in metal working" but you will hear, eventually, "metal working has the same value as <inset majority female occupation here> so they should earn the same".

I think that the whole Feminist movement is kind of anti-capitalist and opposed to meritocracy at it's foundation and the "need more women in STEM" thing is a manifestation of that.

They can "fix" that one with quotas etc but closing the "pay gap" itself would require more control on what people are actually allowed to earn.

Closing the "pay gap" is actually extremely simple - more women can take hard, dirty and dangerous job...or those with long hours, or the ones that involve unsociable settings, lots of travel and zero social life.

There's a girl in the office I work, she's younger than me by a fair bit and I am pretty sure she earns a LOT more than I do (she can afford things I simply can't). Whenever I've arrived at the office earlier than usual, her car's the only one already there except for the security guard's; Last Friday I had some extra stuff to take care of, left at around 8ish pm, and her car was the only one in the car park...I simply couldn't do that, I value my own time, and I am perfectly fine with not being paid as much as she is due to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I do wonder sometimes what will happen to the gender balance in the student population once the "STEM" issue is sorted out to the liking of feminists (50/50 intake in stuff like maths, computer science and physics).

I think, even with the unconscionably high numbers of males in Engineering courses its around 60 % female students overall in Irish universities (not that you ever see that little stat publicised much!).

Nothing will happen. My best guess is that they will pivot to the idea that men and boys don't want to attend universities because of toxic masculinity. Like men see university as a female space and because of misogyny they don't want to attend.

Then you would say well shouldn't the education system try to be more accommodating towards men. You'd either be laughed at or told no it's men who have to change.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-11-largest-psychological-sex-differences-autistic.html
    Largest ever study of psychological sex differences and autistic traits
    November 12, 2018, University of Cambridge
    The team also calculated the difference (or 'd-score') between each individual's score on the systemizing and empathy tests. A high d-score means a person's systemizing is higher than their empathy, and a low d-score means their empathy is higher than their systemizing.

They found that in the typical population, men, on average, had a shift towards a high d-score, whereas women, on average, had a shift towards a low d-score. Autistic individuals, on average, had a shift towards an even higher d-score than typical males. Strikingly, d-scores accounted for 19 times more of the variance in autistic traits than other variables, including sex.

Finally, men, on average, had higher autistic trait scores than women. Those working in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), on average, had higher systemizing and autistic traits scores than those in non-STEM occupations. And conversely, those working in non-STEM occupations, on average, had had higher empathy scores than those working in STEM.
    I thought these results might have been mentioned here, but can't find them on a quick search.

They suggest that there are differences in the way men and women think on average.
    And the type of thinking patterns seen more in people in the STEM professions are more common in men.

This suggests that differences in the numbers of men and women in the STEM areas/professions may not be due to discrimination (or alternatively, I suppose, such discrimination could still be part of the reason, but not necessarily all of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I posted this before on this thread:

https://www.math.kth.se/matstat/gru/5b1501/F/sex.pdf

tldr; experiment performed on newborn babies shows girls prefer people, boys prefer things.

tldr;tldr; men and women are different deal with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    In other news:
    Britain’s education system is failing to tackle the “astonishing” underperformance of boys as feminists have made the topic “taboo”, the former head of the university admissions service has warned.

Mary Curnock Cook, who was chief executive of Ucas until last year, said the fact that boys are falling behind in education is a national scandal – yet it is such an “unfashionable” topic to discuss that it has become “normalised”.

Girls outperform boys in all aspects of education, from primary school to GCSEs and A-level results. Last year, 57 per cent of women went to university compared to 43 per cent of men, a gap that has widened significantly over the last decade.

Normally, I get cynical about this sort of thing but the former chief executive of UCAS is probably one of the most qualified people in the world to speak on this. I knew there was a gap but I didn't realise that this were so bad that she felt compelled to speak out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i wouldnt be so worried about the absolute % by gender attending university, there are a lot of dud degrees out there, various arts, journalism and media etc. There should be a push for good quality apprenticeships.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Overall, there's very little percentage difference in Ireland between men and women going into third level education. What does happen is that the percentage of women in universities is higher than men and vice versa for ITs, etc.

That said, as I mentioned on this thread before, on the 2017 TCD undergraduate prospectus a list of "key facts" about the university was cited, essentially as selling points for prospective students. One of these "key facts" was that 58% of the university's students are women.

As I wrote at the time, it would have been inconceivable that TCD would have boasted about a 16 percentage point difference between its numbers of female and male students if the ratio was the other way around. For what it's worth as a possible indication of an adjustment in attitude by the university, I notice that this ratio is no longer cited in the 2019 prospectus as a "key fact".

Patricia Casey: 'Why professorships plan is so embarrassing for women'
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/patricia-casey-why-professorships-plan-is-so-embarrassing-for-women-37537463.html
    So what is the evidence that there is an unconscious bias against women? It's flimsy at best. Can anybody really argue convincingly that egalitarian, "progressive" republics like Norway, Switzerland, Germany and France, with women in full professorships of 29pc, 21pc, 23pc and 24pc respectively, are guilty of sexism by not reaching the 50pc threshold?
    The plan for female-only chairs is an ideological one. It will result in less able people being employed in certain disciplines with a diminishment in the status of our universities.

Bad feelings within departments will smoulder when equally qualified men will feel they have been deprived of an opportunity to display their ability before an international interview panel. And women holding these posts will be secretly mocked as not being real professors but only in post through favouritism.

This proposal is deeply embarrassing and patronising towards women. Positive role models will not emerge from substandard academics.

In other news:
    Britain’s education system is failing to tackle the “astonishing” underperformance of boys as feminists have made the topic “taboo”, the former head of the university admissions service has warned.

Mary Curnock Cook, who was chief executive of Ucas until last year, said the fact that boys are falling behind in education is a national scandal – yet it is such an “unfashionable” topic to discuss that it has become “normalised”.

Girls outperform boys in all aspects of education, from primary school to GCSEs and A-level results. Last year, 57 per cent of women went to university compared to 43 per cent of men, a gap that has widened significantly over the last decade.

Normally, I get cynical about this sort of thing but the former chief executive of UCAS is probably one of the most qualified people in the world to speak on this. I knew there was a gap but I didn't realise that this were so bad that she felt compelled to speak out.

When attempts are made to address men’s issues, they are ridiculed and are met with the “wrath” of feminist and gender equality groups, she said.

Last month the only university in the UK with a men’s officer scrapped the role after the candidate withdrew due to “harassment”.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/24/university-uk-mens-officer-scraps-role-candidate-withdraws-alleged/

James Knight was the only candidate to his name forward to be men's officer at the University of the West of England, and said he wanted to highlight male mental health issues.

However, the National Union of Students officers began a campaign against the role, and he pulled out after claiming he harassed. The university said the post was suspended pending review.
    For those who don't know, colleges often have officers for women.

Student Rebecca Sheeres added: “Can someone explain to me why a men’s officer is necessary please?

"Especially when UWE students actually voted against such position. Men are not a minority at university and surely appointing a wellbeing officer would cover men’s mental health.”

NUS women's officer Sarah Lasoye said: "The role of a men’s officer is entirely obsolete and the attempt to implement one stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of liberation and almost always an unearned sense of entitlement."
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/24/university-uk-mens-officer-scraps-role-candidate-withdraws-alleged/

Student Rebecca Sheeres added: “Can someone explain to me why a men’s officer is necessary please?

"Especially when UWE students actually voted against such position. Men are not a minority at university and surely appointing a wellbeing officer would cover men’s mental health.”
    Actually, it looks like students were in favour of it by a slim majority, but it didn't read some higher threshold:
    https://www.thestudentsunion.co.uk/representation/student-ideas/106/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

And, in point of fact, men are a minority in the student body of the University of West England. Just under 44% of students there are male. (Which, of course, could have influenced the vote outcome.)

https://www1.uwe.ac.uk/about/factsandfigures/studentdemographics.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Has anyone else noticed the change in news presenters and panel shows where men seem to be in a minority now. News programs, current affairs TV shows and radio shows seem to be dominated by women. I notice the same on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

silverharp wrote: »
    i wouldnt be so worried about the absolute % by gender attending university, there are a lot of dud degrees out there, various arts, journalism and media etc. There should be a push for good quality apprenticeships.

Very true. Maynooth university have a masters in gender studies, most of the grads are unemployed, doing voluntary or unskilled work. On paper they are more educated , but in Reality a lad doing an apprenticeship as an electrician will earn more over his lifetime and contribute more to society, yet its an education crisis now, and a gender pay inequality crisis against him in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very true. Maynooth university have a masters in gender studies, most of the grads are unemployed, doing voluntary or unskilled work. On paper they are more educated , but in Reality a lad doing an apprenticeship as an electrician will earn more over his lifetime and contribute more to society, yet its an education crisis now, and a gender pay inequality crisis against him in 10 years.

It's like a vicious circle, they basically create a view that there are big societal jobs that need to be solved and get then selves work in the gender study area. However nature of the beast is that unless we move to some sort of totalitarian gender study type state only a few at the top will ever get a job.

The rest will do low paid work and complain about the man putting them down .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

backspin. wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the change in news presenters and panel shows where men seem to be in a minority now. News programs, current affairs TV shows and radio shows seem to be dominated by women. I notice the same on BBC.

The BBC have committed to all sorts of quotas. At the top end is gender, then race, sexuality, religion etc. There's even stuff on disabilities and other similar potential categories.

If you're a gay, black (or black enough to be considered black), disabled, Muslim with a facial disfigurement then you're a unicorn in the eyes of the BBC. That's not being flippant either, they've committed to these targets, if you're aiding their quotas then you are a much easier selection.

It's part of the reason why these sort of changes have been much more noticeable in recent years, and because these quota's are widespread they are finding a presence in places where it is debatable if it makes sense to have some people on panels, and it at least seems like they are there are a token effort or diversity hire. Take an example of a marked increase in women panelists on football programs, and as you mention, the likes of comedy programs. I'm not saying women have no place on these shows, but it's fairly clear that many of them just aren't up to it.

The same is happening with RTE now, although as far as I know they haven't gone down the road of explicitly stating a quota.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    The BBC have committed to all sorts of quotas. At the top end is gender, then race, sexuality, religion etc. There's even stuff on disabilities and other similar potential categories.

If you're a gay, black (or black enough to be considered black), disabled, Muslim with a facial disfigurement then you're a unicorn in the eyes of the BBC. That's not being flippant either, they've committed to these targets, if you're aiding their quotas then you are a much easier selection.

It's part of the reason why these sort of changes have been much more noticeable in recent years, and because these quota's are widespread they are finding a presence in places where it is debatable if it makes sense to have some people on panels, and it at least seems like they are there are a token effort or diversity hire. Take an example of a marked increase in women panelists on football programs, and as you mention, the likes of comedy programs. I'm not saying women have no place on these shows, but it's fairly clear that many of them just aren't up to it.

The same is happening with RTE now, although as far as I know they haven't gone down the road of explicitly stating a quota.

The women panelists on football programs often get me, most panelists on those shows are former players or managers with decades of experience, verbalising how a decision was come to / a formation was used / how players must be feeling etc... from their experiences of the same, football punditry requires a lot of experience in the game, not something youd ever get from watching it or just being a fan , then youve some 25 year old blonde saying 'yes that was a good game' , maybe giving an analysis drawn from 1 years amatuer 5 a side in uni and thats great, its all equal gendery now.

The women panelists on football programs often get me, most panelists on those shows are former players or managers with decades of experience, verbalising how a decision was come to / a formation was used / how players must be feeling etc... from their experiences of the same, football punditry requires a lot of experience in the game, not something youd ever get from watching it or just being a fan , then youve some 25 year old blonde saying 'yes that was a good game' , maybe giving an analysis drawn from 1 years amatuer 5 a side in uni and thats great, its all equal gendery now.

Nah, there's journalists who know more than a lot of the ex-players. Unfortunately the ladies they generally choose seem to fall into the eye candy or the ex-player-so-must-know-loads categories.

Nah, there's journalists who know more than a lot of the ex-players. Unfortunately the ladies they generally choose seem to fall into the eye candy or the ex-player-so-must-know-loads categories.

Journalists my arse.

Calhoun wrote: »
    It's like a vicious circle, they basically create a view that there are big societal jobs that need to be solved and get then selves work in the gender study area. However nature of the beast is that unless we move to some sort of totalitarian gender study type state only a few at the top will ever get a job.

The rest will do low paid work and complain about the man putting them down .

It seems to me that everyone interested in complaining about the lack of women in certain high paid sectors are more interested in getting qualifications and positions that help them complain better / more publicly than actually enter the positions themselves.

I see rte news doing a feature on waking the feminist on today's news. No mention of international men's day. Looks like trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The usual double standard and belittling of the day thats in it.

py2006 wrote: »
    The usual double standard and belittling of the day thats in it.

Could you imagine how much (quite appropriate) hate there would be if say we had a piece on international womens day where jimmy carr or similar talked about how much they liked spme fampus womans tits or celebrated how sexy tyey were

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I largely agree to a point but there are times when ITV specifically hire ex-pros from the women's game and they know their stuff.

Sky's pitch side analysis this week was from a woman ex England player and she was spot on.

Former players etc, yeah - random blonde, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Could you imagine how much (quite appropriate) hate there would be if say we had a piece on international womens day where jimmy carr or similar talked about how much they liked spme fampus womans tits or celebrated how sexy tyey were

#HimToo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6408883/Mila-Kunis-Kristen-Bell-beg-man-candy-Channing-Tatum-strip-Jimmy-Kimmels-RED-special.html

If that was the other way round they'd never work again, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Just throwing an ol' dot here lads because I’m enjoying reading the thread and want the notifications so I can find it more easily.

Please ignore and continue

Advertisement