Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way to tell a Sky Q 1TB box from a 2TB box

• 16-11-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭

Ok this is a bit of an odd one, but I've had Sky Q in for a year now and originally ordered a 1TB box. I went online to look at upgrading to the 2TB as recently purchased a high spec tv and not only was the option not there, but under my account it shows means having a 2TB box !

I called Sky and their initial reaction was that if the system says 2TB then its 2TB - however the original agent hadn't filled in all the detail so the actual detail is 'missing from the order'.

Just to confuse, my tv also sees it as a 2TB box.

I've checked recordings and i have about 60+ GB recorded and showing as 68% full which ties into it being 1TB. I have the all black remote control and the box is black with a silver but around the bottom.

Is there any way of checking on the box or physical differences that can just solve this as its bugging me now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you have HD, then see if you can view UHD programmes on some Sky Channels.

They'll only work on 2TB box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

thanks

I can indeed and can also access and download Movies from sky cinema UHD, so that means it is a 2TB - the plot thickens

how about the storage % though ? does the deleted items eat up a chunk of that ? as 68% is very close to the 60+ Gb for a 1TB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The 2TB boxes are (or used to be) silver on the bottom.

I dont quite understand what you mean in the above post though.

The 2TB boxes are (or used to be) silver on the bottom.

I dont quite understand what you mean in the above post though.

Not sure which bit unclear, but does the fact that I can access, download and view UHD from the sky cinema UHD menu mean the box must be a 2 TB box.

As for storage, I have about 60GB used (added it up) and it says that I have 68% free, so surely thats a 1TB box ?

EDIT: Sorry should read 600 GB used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not sure which bit unclear, but does the fact that I can access, download and view UHD from the sky cinema UHD menu mean the box must be a 2 TB box.

As for storage, I have about 60GB used (added it up) and it says that I have 68% free, so surely thats a 1TB box ?

The 1TB boxes have 700GB and the 2TB boxes have 1700GB of storage so even on a 1TB you should have 90+% free. I'd say the stuff you've deleted needs to be fully deleted. It goes into like a recycle bin incase you want to undelete something.

• Advertisement

The 1TB boxes have 700GB and the 2TB boxes have 1700GB of storage so even on a 1TB you should have 90+% free. I'd say the stuff you've deleted needs to be fully deleted. It goes into like a recycle bin incase you want to undelete something.

Apologies, missed a zero, i have around 600GB used so if the 1TB only has 700GB then maybe it is a 2TB box after all ?

I queried deleted items and Sky told me they use up very little space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

A handy Sky info site is https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyQ.php Click on more info under the model number

If you can see the Hardware version of your box, it will tell you which of the 4 Sky Q boxes it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can you record just 3 channels simultaneously or 5? If it's just 3 then its a 1TB box.

A handy Sky info site is https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyQ.php Click on more info under the model number

If you can see the Hardware version of your box, it will tell you which of the 4 Sky Q boxes it is

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for, model is ES140 which makes it 2TB so looks like i got lucky on the install ! :P

Advertisement