Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording on a Satellite Smart TV

• 16-11-2018 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I have a saorview / satellite tv for the kids, a walker. It's grand, but to record on it, you need to plug in a USB key or external HD. that's grand. But the only way we can record, is to record the current channel you are watching. It will not record other stations at all, even a saorview station while on Satellite or vice versa and also the TV has to be turned on.

Now I'm considering a smart tv for main room. But main reason is to tidy things up and ditch the external boxes.

If we do it, will we be able to record multiple stations and while TV is off etc? and does series link work on them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Seve OB wrote: »
    I have a saorview / satellite tv for the kids, a walker. It's grand, but to record on it, you need to plug in a USB key or external HD. that's grand. But the only way we can record, is to record the current channel you are watching. It will not record other stations at all, even a saorview station while on Satellite or vice versa and also the TV has to be turned on.

Now I'm considering a smart tv for main room. But main reason is to tidy things up and ditch the external boxes.

If we do it, will we be able to record multiple stations and while TV is off etc? and does series link work on them?

How could you expect any device to record (or operate in any way) when switched off? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How could you expect any device to record (or operate in any way) when switched off? :confused:

like my sky box does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

like my sky box does

Standby, it just means the screen is off the box is still running

Standby, it just means the screen is off the box is still running

I know that
    I thought my original post was perfectly obvious.

so i'll ask again :rolleyes:

My current TV has to be switched on and showing a picture or it will not record.

do newer TV's have the ability to record multiple stations and while TV is in standby mode or on another station etc? and does series link work on them

I know that
    I thought my original post was perfectly obvious.

so i'll ask again :rolleyes:

My current TV has to be switched on and showing a picture or it will not record.

do newer TV's have the ability to record multiple stations and while TV is in standby mode or on another station etc? and does series link work on them

Are there any TVs with dual satellite tuner? I've honestly never heard of one?
    Series link will only work on Freesat or enigma boxes, not free to air as they only get now and next EPG.

You're honestly expecting too many features on the TV where most add satellite and combo boxes to add these features

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Seve OB wrote:

I have a hisense tv that will record in standby. Don't believe I can switch from sat tuner to saorview when recording or vice versa.

You're honestly expecting too many features on the TV where most add satellite and combo boxes to add these features

I already have a box. What I'm really trying to do it clear out the clutter

Thanks for all the advice and opinions. Looks like I'm probably as well sticking with what i currently have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Another consideration. TVs are almost obsolete before they even leave the shop and often have very limited or closed features. Upgrading the software or hardware of a box is far cheaper and easier than a costly Smart TV.

Another consideration. TVs are almost obsolete before they even leave the shop and often have very limited or closed features. Upgrading the software or hardware of a box is far cheaper and easier than a costly Smart TV.

Smart is a buzz word IMO. You're are always better to just buy a TV with the best quality picture within your budget and add boxes that get support and updates for recording, catch up and media players etc.

I've yet to see a smart TV that didn't grind to a halt once I linked either Plex or Emby apps to my media server. They ship with very weak processors and minimal ram that aren't up to the job they're expected to do. Much better performance with an added box.

Same goes for recording. Enigma boxes are miles ahead both in hardware and in software features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Are there any TVs with dual satellite tuner? I've honestly never heard of one?
    Series link will only work on Freesat or enigma boxes, not free to air as they only get now and next EPG.

My 3 year old Sony Bravia has a twin satellite tuner as well as the Saorview tuner (so 3 coax inputs in total).
    I ditched Sky nearly 2 years ago and I had intended to get a Freesat/combo receiver but I’ve yet to get round to it! I’m still using the TV itself with no sat box at all.

It’s grand, but not perfect...
    - full EPG on the Irish channels but only Now/Next on the sat channels - and that only works if you actually go to the channel first.
    - channel hopping can seem laggy.
    - I added all my “favourite” channels to favourites so I can seamlessly go from RTE to BBC, etc. i.e. I don’t have to manually switch between Sat / Saorview inputs.
    - I have an external USB HDD plugged in for recording but it’s pretty patchy in terms of reliability. Often fails to record. Wouldn’t rely on it.

Overall, it’s ok, but a dedicated Sat/Saorview box would be infinitely better. I just don’t watch enough terrestrial TV to have bothered to get one yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement