Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat & Saorview TV ??

• 08-11-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭

Anyone have the Panasonic 40fs503b?
    If so, can it be set up in full Freesat mode with 7 day EPG and then (easily?) switched to Saorview for RTE etc..?
    Looking for a simple all-in-1 tv, no boxes etc..for a neighbour.
    TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Dec4 wrote: »
    Anyone have the Panasonic 40fs503b?
    If so, can it be set up in full Freesat mode with 7 day EPG and then (easily?) switched to Saorview for RTE etc..?
    Looking for a simple all-in-1 tv, no boxes etc..for a neighbour.
    TIA

I have set up a few of these Panasonic TVs.
    set the country for UK at initial start up tuning. Then once your into the tuning menu enter a UK postcode. i use SW1A1AA. now when you tune in Irish channels on terrestrial they come in starting in the 800's you can reorder them to start at 1234......., to move between the Irish and freesat channels you need to press the TV button at the top of the remote. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Dec4

Navarre wrote: »
    I have set up a few of these Panasonic TVs.
    set the country for UK at initial start up tuning. Then once your into the tuning menu enter a UK postcode. i use SW11AA. now when you tune in Irish channels on terrestrial they come in starting in the 800's you can reorder them to start at 1234......., to move between the Irish and freesat channels you need to press the TV button at the top of the remote. :)

That sounds like it will do the trick so!
    Navarre, you are a gentleman!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

i've the 49" version and the set-up the same, only thing missing is the 7 day epg on Irish channels.

Any info on this Sony ?
    On offer in most places and has Android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Any info on this Sony ?
    On offer in most places and has Android

Sony TVs don't have Freesat. Only some LG, Panasonic and Samsung TVs have it built in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I got myself one of these the other day. Very happy and a decent price. Does USB recording and can pause live TV (need spinning HDD for pause and not USB drive).

As others have said use UK for all location/language settings and the inbuilt program manager to renumber and skip all the found Irish DTT channels (it finds and adds all the placeholder/data ones as well). The only issue is there's a few key presses to change between SAT/DTT and it took me a while to find out how to do that!

Also it didn't auto find the latest firmware so I had to get it and put it on a USB key.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-43uk6950plb-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178160-pdt.html#srcid=11026

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sony TVs don't have Freesat. Only some LG, Panasonic and Samsung TVs have it built in

Yep. They do. The parents have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

7upfree wrote: »

Do they have full 7 day EPG like a Freesat branded TV or box does? Or just now and next?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I got myself one of these the other day. Very happy and a decent price. Does USB recording and can pause live TV (need spinning HDD for pause and not USB drive).

As others have said use UK for all location/language settings and the inbuilt program manager to renumber and skip all the found Irish DTT channels (it finds and adds all the placeholder/data ones as well). The only issue is there's a few key presses to change between SAT/DTT and it took me a while to find out how to do that!

Also it didn't auto find the latest firmware so I had to get it and put it on a USB key.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-43uk6950plb-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178160-pdt.html#srcid=11026
    I wonder does this post help with making life handier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

byte wrote: »
    I wonder does this post help with making life handier?

Thanks for the tip. Still learning the features of the TV by messing about with the functions - some by trial and error. The online manual isn't great to be honest - just pointers really. But saying that as my first smart TV, I'm impressed with it so far. Shame it doesn't have the same freesat EPG as my Humax box. (I know some Panasonic TV's do have the same Freesat EPG as the set top boxes).

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »

I have an old Sony (about 7 yrs old? KDL32W5810) with full Freesat and easy to switch to Saorview but no recording ability, not sure newer Sony's have full Freesat EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've just been told on the Richer sounds Forum that Sony has satellite tuner

please explain what you mean saying they don't have freesat

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've just been told on the Richer sounds Forum that Sony has satellite tuner

please explain what you mean saying they don't have freesat

Freesat is a branded product, a joint venture between the BBC and ITV. Their products are well supported though updates, get immediate updates of frequency changes and they have a 7 day EPG for all channels.

This is opposed to generic Free to Air, where there is no automatic updates of channel frequency changes and you just get a now and next EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There's lots of free to air (FTA) satellite channels which are unencrypted. Freesat is the branded service which takes some, definitely not all, of these channels and arranges them nicely so you don't have to, and gives you a 7 day EPG as previously said.

Lots of TVs now have satellite tuners but it's not to say that they are Freesat models. I'd always give preference to getting a Freesat model before an FTA-capable satellite receiving TV.

Go to Freesat.co.uk to see which models are available!!

If you want a specific channel which is not on Freesat, most TVs will allow satellite channels be added to 'other channels' list.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Freesat is a branded product, a joint venture between the BBC and ITV. Their products are well supported though updates, get immediate updates of frequency changes and they have a 7 day EPG for all channels.

This is opposed to generic Free to Air, where there is no automatic updates of channel frequency changes and you just get a now and next EPG

ok, makes a bit of sense, but there should be no difference in the channels received?

also, I have an aul walker satellite tv and it give me more than a no or next EPG and I'm pretty sure there is no mention of freesat on it.

will a generic FTA tv be able to series link etc for recording?

astrofluff wrote: »
    If you want a specific channel which is not on Freesat, most TVs will allow satellite channels be added to 'other channels' list.

like the old Sky box other channels?.... that's a terrible option

I would rather have all the channels in one EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Be mindful that most tvs will only have 1 satellite tuner. This means you won't be able to watch and record. Tvs that have 2 satellite inputs tend to be very expensive.

A freesat box will have 2 satellite inputs.

Be mindful that most tvs will only have 1 satellite tuner. This means you won't be able to watch and record. Tvs that have 2 satellite inputs tend to be very expensive.

might be better off sticking with the old sky box

Seve OB wrote: »

will a generic FTA tv be able to series link etc for recording?

No because they only have now and next EPG

It depends on what you want and what satellite cables (1 or 2) are available to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

No. And you have to rearrange the channels yourself. EPG itself is quite reasonable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

Can anyone recommend a TV that has 2 freesat tuners? (around 40in for around €500).
    They seem to be impossible to find.

user1842 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a TV that has 2 freesat tuners? (around 40in for around €500).

Add another 500. They tend to only be in the high end price range and size.

Add another 500. They tend to only be in the high end price range and size.
    Ok for a €1000 then? I cannot seem to find any the state that you can record one freesat station while watching another.

Ok for a €1000 then? I cannot seem to find any the state that you can record one freesat station while watching another.

They are very rare. Even doing a google revealed done.

Samsung's 2018 models NU8000 and NU8070 has twin Freesat, according to the specs on the Samsung website

Also last year's MU7000 has it, but it starts in the Series 8 for this year's models

Unfortunately all the models above start at 49"

Would you think of getting a humax freesat box (2 tuners) and pair it with a saorview connect box. That will give you 4 tuners. Get a 4k 43" tv for €400.

€750 would buy all 3. Cheaper than those bigger tvs.

Would you think of getting a humax freesat box (2 tuners) and pair it with a saorview connect box. That will give you 4 tuners. Get a 4k 43" tv for €400.

€750 would buy all 3. Cheaper than those bigger tvs.
    It's for my parents, looking to replace a 6 year old Samsung that had the functionality. So need a TV only solution.

It's for my parents, looking to replace a 6 year old Samsung that had the functionality. So need a TV only solution.

Tv only solutions aren't the best. Tv manufacturers stop updating the software after a few years and your tv then can have issues.

Do your parents need to record sat channels?

Do they need the apps?

My tv is a 43" LG. It is a freesat tv. I haven't used the freesat as have a freesat box. I don't know if the freesat on the tv is the same offering as the box.

But if it is maybe a smart tv would do them. I think hotkeys can be set up to quickly switch between saorview and sat.

• Advertisement

Tv only solutions aren't the best. Tv manufacturers stop updating the software after a few years and your tv then can have issues.

Do your parents need to record sat channels?

Do they need the apps?

My tv is a 43" LG. It is a freesat tv. I haven't used the freesat as have a freesat box. I don't know if the freesat on the tv is the same offering as the box.

But if it is maybe a smart tv would do them. I think hotkeys can be set up to quickly switch between saorview and sat.
    They need everything. Apps (Plex and Netflix) and being able to record one freesat station while watching another. 
    They had a multi box solution before and hated it. They really like the one TV solution that the Samsung provides however the due to the TV's age the apps are super slow and Plex has a very poor app that only works 1/2 of the time. I also, in my hast, updated the firmware of the TV the last time I was home and this seems to have disabled the second tuner on the TV. When recording now you are locked to that channel. Unfortunately I cannot find a way to roll role back the update.
    So my parents are not happy.
    We have an LG upstairs that is great but it lacks dual tuners.

I also, in my hast, updated the firmware of the TV the last time I was home and this seems to have disabled the second tuner on the TV. When recording now you are locked to that channel. Unfortunately I cannot find a way to roll role back the update.
    So my parents are not happy.

In Settings-Broadcasting there should be an option to change from "Single" to "Dual" to give you the Twin tuner option again

Might be worth trying to buy a second hand TV on Adverts if you stil want a newer TV. Up to 2014 (H series) most mid range Samsung had twin Freesat. In recent years it's only the higher end or QLED TVs that have that function unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have an old Sony (about 7 yrs old? KDL32W5810) with full Freesat and easy to switch to Saorview but no recording ability, not sure newer Sony's have full Freesat EPG

I also have an old Sony with Freesat . But new models don't have it. Pity as the switching between tuners is a simple one button press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

emaherx wrote: »
    I also have an old Sony with Freesat . But new models don't have it. Pity as the switching between tuners is a simple one button press.

have the same sony tv brillant picture of it its easy to switch between satellite and saorview not like the lg we got its all buttons before u get to satellite the upmarket sonys now have satellite but the lower one.s do not

Anyone know it these 7400 series Samsungs can do both Freesat & Saorview?
    e.g. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue43nu7470-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178417-pdt.html ?
    This model and the 7400 seem to be reduced in most retailers however I think I read somewhere that you can only tune in Saorview OR Satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Anyone know it these 7400 series Samsungs can do both Freesat & Saorview?
    e.g. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue43nu7470-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178417-pdt.html ?
    This model and the 7400 seem to be reduced in most retailers however I think I read somewhere that you can only tune in Saorview OR Satellite.

Yes the Samsung UE43NU7470 has a Freesat tuner.

Confirmed in Post#7&9 in this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108348746?

Remember to set country to UK on initial setup.

• Advertisement

scart wrote: »
    Yes the Samsung UE43NU7470 has a Freesat tuner.

Confirmed in Post#7&9 in this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108348746?

Remember to set country to UK on initial setup.

I am aware of that thread but same poster admits that he hasn't setup Saorview simultaneously with Freesat.
    I have no idea as don’t have soarview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Don't worry Saorview will work on the TV.

It will tune the Saorview channels to the 800's but its just a matter of manually moving them to 1,2,3,4,5 etc. It's easy to do, 5-10mins.

If you like the TV go for it, but ask for an in store picture demonstration so as to make sure your happy with the picture quality.

scart wrote: »
    Don't worry Saorview will work on the TV.

It will tune the Saorview channels to the 800's but its just a matter of manually moving them to 1,2,3,4,5 etc. It's easy to do, 5-10mins.

If you like the TV go for it, but ask for an in store picture demonstration so as to make sure your happy with the picture quality.

On my 2016 Samsung TV, you can't edit the Saorview channel numbers, like you can on older Samsung models. So no gaurentee that the NU 2018 TVs will let you. You can set up a favourties and order them RTE One, RTE2 etc but they remain with a 800 number

On my 2016 Samsung TV, you can't edit the Saorview channel numbers, like you can on older Samsung models. So no gaurentee that the NU 2018 TVs will let you. You can set up a favourties and order them RTE One, RTE2 etc but they remain with a 800 number

You can edit the channel numbers if you upload a channel list via a USB drive (you need edit the list on your computer using a tool). However the TV will sometimes reset to the 800 numbers. I just leave the USB drive plugged in and redo the procedure every time the TV resets the channel list.

Freesat must be forcing Samsung into doing this nonsense. It seems to be very clear that Samsung do not want you accessing Freesat while also viewing Saorview in Ireland. They have purposefully put up artificial roadblocks in their software that they don't even mention in their manuals (i.e. the one mentioned above, the complex way to switch from Freesat to Saorview and not being able to mix favorite channels).

Does anyone have any experience with this 49" Samsung?
    Reduced to €559 in Argos

• Advertisement
Advertisement