Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv signal loss when 2nd Sat cable inserted

• 12-11-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Ok as the title suggests, the tv signal deteriorates/complete loss when 2nd Sat cable inserted on Sky+ HD box.

This happens only on some channels and once only 1 cable in all channels ok. No good for recording though.

I have a quad lnb and in another room I have a non sky box connected to tv as well as a saorview aerial. When Sat box is on standby saorview signal is good. Once box is switched on saorview signal goes right down.

Could it be lnb do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ok as the title suggests, the tv signal deteriorates/complete loss when 2nd Sat cable inserted on Sky+ HD box.

This happens only on some channels and once only 1 cable in all channels ok. No good for recording though.

I have a quad lnb and in another room I have a non sky box connected to tv as well as a saorview aerial. When Sat box is on standby saorview signal is good. Once box is switched on saorview signal goes right down.

Could it be lnb do you think?

I'm a bit confused now about the setup. Is this correct or have I got it wrong from your other post?

Room A:

Sky+ HD box with two cables A and B. Sky box operates fine with cable A connected but loses satellite signal with cables A and B connected.

Room B:
    Generic satellite box connected with one cable C. TV connected to aerial with cable D.

Saorview reception is fine while generic box is in standby but is unreliable when satellite box is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm a bit confused now about the setup. Is this correct or have I got it wrong from your other post?

Room A:

Sky+ HD box with two cables A and B. Sky box operates fine with cable A connected but loses satellite signal with cables A and B connected.

Room B:
    Generic satellite box connected with one cable C. TV connected to aerial with cable D.

Saorview reception is fine while generic box is in standby but is unreliable nwgen satellite box is on.

In Room A, sometimes you'll have all channels however a lot of the time you'll lose some. E.g. Dave, Tcm and others. If you go to your signal strength in sky+box it will weaken when 2nd cable is inserted.

Room B is as you stated. I have double co ax sckts in each room.

In Room A, sometimes you'll have all channels however a lot of the time you'll lose some. E.g. Dave, Tcm and others. If you go to your signal strength in sky+box it will weaken when 2nd cable is inserted.

You've now thrown sockets into the mix. It could also be them if they are a cheap unscreened type.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm

To be honest with you I could be guessing here all night but without seeing the installation and having the correct test equipment it's unlikely that I'm going to be able to tell you what's wrong. I'd get a professional installer in to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

As Navi said, it’s difficult to provide advice, based on the information given. If it were me, and I didn’t have any test equipment, I’d try and use the boxes themselves as the test equipment. Most TVs have an installer menu where you can read signal strength and quality.

To me the breakup of the terrestrial signal indicates that the signal is very weak and breakup occurs due to interference when the satellite cable is plugged in. If you can see the strength on the tv, it should be easy to check that out.

In menu of TV you can see saorview signal weaken when generic Sat box turned on. Room B

In menu of Sky + box you can see signal weaken when 2nd cable Inserted. Room A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

The fact that the saorview signal is also affected is really confusing. Is the saorview cable looped through either of the sat receivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mr_cochise wrote: »
    The fact that the saorview signal is also affected is really confusing. Is the saorview cable looped through either of the sat receivers?

.... or combined with one of the Sat cables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Have you a long run from the satellite dish to the boxes?

Is the saorview signal coming down the same cable as the satellite signal?

I have satellite and saorview coming in on the one cable and the saorview signal tends to be much stronger.

You could also be losing strength if there are a lot of connections along the cable length - cables being split and joined at various points will result in loss of signal quality.

4 cables coming from lnb.
    2 going to room A through double co ax sckt.
    1 to Room B through double co ax sckt.
    1 not connected.

1 cable from Saorview aerial through co ax sckt Room B

Have you a long run from the satellite dish to the boxes?

Is the saorview signal coming down the same cable as the satellite signal?

I have satellite and saorview coming in on the one cable and the saorview signal tends to be much stronger.

You could also be losing strength if there are a lot of connections along the cable length - cables being split and joined at various points will result in loss of signal quality.

No separate cables and Sat cables joined in attic. Then separate cable from sckt to box.

• Advertisement

4 cables coming from lnb.
    2 going to room A through double co ax sckt.
    1 to Room B through double co ax sckt.
    1 not connected.

1 cable from Saorview aerial through co ax sckt Room B

Are the sockets new or have they been working fine for a while and this is a recent fault?

No it's not

Are the sockets new or have they been working fine for a while and this is a recent fault?

House built in 2012, only used Old sky box for the the first few years then in 2014 sky hd + box. Never been right.

Only hooked up Saorview aerial and generic box a few months ago.

House built in 2012, only used Old sky box for the the first few years then in 2014 sky + box. Never been right.

Only hooked up Saorview aerial and generic box a few months ago.

I'd be looking at the sockets as a potential culprit. I don't know if you have the ability or the equipment to bypass them, you'd need a few F connectors and F barrel joiners to connect the cables in the wall direct to the box as a test.

Otherwise an installer with a meter should be able to diagnose the issue in a few minutes.

Tnks for all the advice so far much appreciated.

I'd be looking at the sockets as a potential culprit. I don't know if you have the ability or the equipment to bypass them, you'd need a few F connectors and F barrel joiners to connect the cables in the wall direct to the box as a test.

Otherwise an installer with a meter should be able to diagnose the issue in a few minutes.

Tnks Navi, might try an bypass the sckts. If it is them what sckts do you recommend?

What type of meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Connections at various points can be an issue.
    I had an installer test a signal at a cable join and it was fine but 10 feet further on after the cable join, the signal had declined.

An installer with a meter tester might be your best bet.

Connections at various points can be an issue.
    I had an installer test a signal at a cable join and it was fine but 10 feet further on after the cable join, the signal had declined.

An installer with a meter tester might be your best bet.

Tnks, I only ask would a multimeter be any good as I have one.

Tnks Navi, might try an bypass the sckts. If it is them what sckts do you recommend?

What type of meter?

I'd try to get screened sockets but depending on the space behind your current sockets they may be hard/impossible to fit now. Something like this.

SAT_TV3.jpg

Another option would be something like this with the cable directly connected.

s-l300.jpg

A professional satellite/terrestrial meter could cost thousands of euro.

Tnks, I only ask would a multimeter be any good as I have one.

No a multimeter is no good to you here I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I'd try to get screened sockets but depending on the space behind your current sockets they may be hard/impossible to fit now. Something like this.

[img][/img]http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/images/SAT_TV3.jpg

Another option would be something like this with the cable directly connected.

[img][/img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Zs0AAOSwo0JWIPSH/s-l300.jpg

A professional satellite/terrestrial meter could cost thousands of euro.

Very good the 2nd one could work alright. Tnks again.

Very good the 2nd one could work alright. Tnks again.

Don't go buying stuff until it's confirmed the sockets are at fault. It's just my best guess but as I said earlier it could be other things also.

Don't go buying stuff until it's confirmed the sockets are at fault. It's just my best guess but as I said earlier it could be other things also.

Wont do that, I'll bypass 1st and see. If same thing happens then I'll look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

In menu of TV you can see saorview signal weaken when generic Sat box turned on. Room B

In menu of Sky + box you can see signal weaken when 2nd cable Inserted. Room A.

Are the signals weakening, or is it the quality degrading?

Are the signals weakening, or is it the quality degrading?

Both seem to weaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Theory: either faulty sockets or poor wiring of sockets is causing contact between sat cables

Theory: either faulty sockets or poor wiring of sockets is causing contact between sat cables

Very good tnks so it seems to go back to Sckts again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm wondering if maybe the braids of the two cables are a bit frayed and touching each other inside the socket?

Alun wrote: »
    I'm wondering if maybe the braids of the two cables are a bit frayed and touching each other inside the socket?

I'll check that tnks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Is the box set to single input?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any update on this OP?

Advertisement