Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Collections & Insurance

Options
  • 10-07-2018 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

A while ago I saw a video outlining insurance on a large collection, thousands of games, and it prompted me to start a list of my collection, whether it was CIB and the value. It got me thinking, if something happened would my collection be covered under contents insurance? Would I get the value paid or the current value?

Bicycles for example generally aren't really covered over €500 and a budget road bike costs €1,000. Adding my bike would almost double the insurance cost to €200 but oddly enough expensive jewellery is anything over €2,000, so a €1,000 watch would be fine but a bike needs to be added!

The average retro game I have probably costs half what a new PS4 game costs but as a whole my Sega collection would be a fair few quid and only growing.

If someone had a ton of PS4 games or a huge movie library it might be a different story due to being unusual?

Any thoughts? Just something to keep in mind for the future :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's not a bad idea. I did this a few years ago with my old house insurance policy and it didn't bring the price up that much. The best thing to do would be to shop around.

I had a policy for X amount on contents. Then added another 20-30k on that to that to cover itemised things like videogame collection etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysus.
    Never ever considered insuring my pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can picture a pair of scumbag burglars breaking in

"jaysus, yer man still only has a playstation 1 and a megadrive"
    "ahh, here, the poor bastard, lets move onto another house"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

3 hours later as the family wakes up to find them still there playing Street Fighter II

as they are being lead out "ah guard just one more game!"

Master of the Universe

Skerries wrote: »
    3 hours later as the family wakes up to find them still there playing Street Fighter II

as they are being lead out "ah guard just one more game!"

'Leh go a me or I'll do onadem hadoooooken yolks!'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would have imagined that the house insurance would cover all contents but one would have to have declared those contents first, before they would pay out, certainly they are not going to take my word that I have a PSX or a Vectrex.

On the other hand, the modifications to my home, namely the conversion of the attic space with half of it full of Retro Gaming-GoodnessTM and the electrical sockets and other gubbins therein, might not be covered under the original house insurance declaration.

Makes it all the more important to switch things off!

You don't know when a PSU of a thirty year old console might decide to start a fire to relieve the boredom!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I would have imagined that the house insurance would cover all contents but one would have to have declared those contents first, before they would pay out, certainly they are not going to take my word that I have a PSX or a Vectrex

My thoughts exactly. “Yes I had 13 arcade cabinets worth €1500 each, a CIB Neo Geo AES collection, and ten copies of the NTSC Stadium Events game. When can I expect my cheque?”

What, you have ten copies of NTSC Stadium Events as well?
    Oh, and be sure to let them know that they are VGA graded as well, for that extra premium, minty feeling!

Master of the Universe

House insurance and contents insurance are two different things.

House insurance will just rebuild your house if it burns down (and is a prerequisite for getting a mortgage here)

Contents insurance is something you need to pay for separately and does need to be itemized.

You don't need to list everything though if it's a collection, you just value your collection and they load an additional amount onto your monthly insurance cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Inviere wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. “Yes I had 13 arcade cabinets worth €1500 each, a CIB Neo Geo AES collection, and ten copies of the NTSC Stadium Events game. When can I expect my cheque?”

Don't forget to list the Picasso hanging in the living room!
    o1s1n wrote: »
    You don't need to list everything though if it's a collection, you just value your collection and they load an additional amount onto your monthly insurance cost.

That's the part I'm wondering about. Say I have a PS4 and 20 games, does that warrant a specific number? I think my 360 collection peaked at about 30 games. I knew a guy who had over 100 360 games who would buy them whenever he could. I just buy a game I like when it comes out, might get the odd older game out of interest so it ends up being a small collection over the years.

I should try call them when I get a chance. I just wonder if a retro collection would be necessary to add on, as I would assume a PS4 for example would just be covered under the general contents cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Contents insurance is something you need to pay for separately and does need to be itemized. You don't need to list everything though if it's a collection, you just value your collection and they load an additional amount onto your monthly insurance cost.

Would they just accept your word for it, and just load up the policy cost accordingly? Or would they send out an assessor to verify? Obviously asking in the case of a significant collection

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That's the part I'm wondering about. .

So I didn't mention a specific number of games, just a specific number the collection was valued at.

Just to note that I have absolutely no idea of the value of my games collection, it was just a figure I'd be happy with getting if everything was lost in a fire.

Inviere wrote: »
    Would they just accept your word for it, and just load up the policy cost accordingly? Or would they send out an assessor to verify? Obviously asking in the case of a significant collection

That's what they seemed to do with me. I had a couple of big ticket items itemized just to be safe, but my art and games collections I just attached specific values to and they seemed to be happy with that.

I do photograph most of my gear so did have that as a backup in case the worst happened and they asked for proof.

Master of the Universe

As a side note, it was quite amusing trying to explain what an 'Akira cel collection' was to someone from an insurance company.

'So you know what animation cels are?'

'No'

'Okay well..do you know what acetate is...?'

'No'

'Do you know what cartoons are?'

...this went on for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

original Akira cels?

Master of the Universe

Skerries wrote: »
    original Akira cels?

Yeah, my wordpress account where I used to scan and upload them is the first hit on google if you search 'Akira cels'. Has resulted in really interesting conversations with people over the years from the likes of Dreamworks/Pixar and folks from animation universities all over the world asking if they can use the scans in their classes as examples.

Had a recent one where a band contacted me asking could they use a scan for an EP cover. In the end they couldn't go ahead with it due being refused permission from Kondansha (who own the rights to Akira)

I made an argument that the cels were just a byproduct of the animation process therefore they didn't fall under copywrite (and were just a physical product that I now owned) but they were having none of it. :D

Edit - here you go if you fancy a look - https://akiracels.wordpress.com/

Wish I could redoit from the start to be honest, it was more of a site just where I dumped things and spewed thoughts. I've been meaning to get a new scanner as I've loads that were never scanned. Maybe one day when I do I'll start again and do it properly.

In truth O1s1n you probably also need life assurance with your collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I might need to use the insurance soon. Fire is spreading on Bray Head towards my house right now. Depending on the wind we might be in trouble!

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I might need to use the insurance soon. Fire is spreading on Bray Head towards my house right now. Depending on the wind we might be in trouble!

Jaysus, take care of yourself!

I've some family in Capetown who lost their home due to the crazy fires there last summer.

The fires went from being in the distance to right on top of them within minutes due to the wind. It can happen extremely quickly so watch out. I see some homes around Bray Head have been evacuated already.

Jaysus, take care of yourself!

I've some family in Capetown who lost their home due to the crazy fires there last summer.

The fires went from being in the distance to right on top of them within minutes due to the wind. It can happen extremely quickly so watch out. I see some homes around Bray Head have been evacuated already.

Yep, we've bags packed just in case. I live right beside where the fire is on Bray Head. we got a call from a friend who lives in Bray town to say there's a fire. Didn't notice anything myself so sent the drone up and had a look, it was bad. Some people were flying drones when the rescue/fire fight helicopters where dropping water on the fire later on in the day. I was on to the Gardai as they know I fly locally here and I wanted them to know i was in the air earlier, but I'm not flying those drones that are messing things up for everyone.

This is a pic i took earlier directly from above my house when we just heard about the fire. The red area is where it is now(we think).

ti6ZLxu.jpg

pvQ1Ym7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just read an article saying residents are returning to their homes in Bray, hope all is well! The article suggests the fire was started in front of a tent? Could be carelessness?

• Advertisement

Been fighting the fire all day here. Pretty crazy and much worse than yesterday. We lost some woodland around the property to the fire. Just got the all clear for the night 10 mins ago. We almost lost the house earlier!
    They've got a team staying in our area for the night as the fires can come up again very quickly.

This vid is the side of the house, the woods were already on fire at this stage on the other side. Crazy day to be sure, now for a few beers and a steak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I will come and collect arcade machines free of charge !!

Stay safe Steve

Well, we survived the fire, as did all my retro stuff.
    I did get a van to move the more portable and valuable items away as it just seemed like the sensible thing to do, insurance or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great news Steve, did that rain help yesterday?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Great news Steve, did that rain help yesterday?

Didn't really get much here until around 6pm. But yes I'm sure it helped a little as there were lots of very small fires still smouldering.

Advertisement