Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the clock in the corner of the TV screen match the official game clock?

• 01-03-2015 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

The reason I ask is in today's game, the clock in the corner of the RTE screen was stopped at 52:39 when the ref went to the TMO to get a decision on the try. Once the try was given, my understanding is that the clock should start again. However today it didn't. It stayed on 52:39 while Sexton kicked the conversion, re-started the game and it wasn't until a few passages when England kicked the ball out of touch that the clock started again. I just timed it there and the clock was stopped for 2:07 between the try been given and it starting again.

I thought it might have been just RTE's clock and the official clock at the stadium was ticking over correctly but the referee blew up for full time when it was on 80:00 on the RTE clock. I haven't watched the whole game again so maybe RTE re-calibrated the clock at some stage during later in the game and jumped it forward the 2 minutes to get back to the where it should have been to match the game clock.

I know it wasn't a factor in the game but had England kept it tight and got the winning score in the 'last' minute (if going by the clock in the corner of the screen) there would have been an outrage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BBC had the same time on their clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ThisRegard wrote: »
    BBC had the same time on their clock.

Were they using the RTE graphics though?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

It wasn't the only time that happened. There was a scrum near the end outside Ireland's 22 when it was stopped for about another minute and only restarted after scrum was complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

No, even yesterday the ref made a point of telling players that the stadium clock (same as TV) was slow by almost a minute

Were they using the RTE graphics though?

No, it was BBC branded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The official game clock is the referees watch as far as I'm aware. And no it isn't blue-tooth linked to the stadium clock...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No, it was BBC branded.

Since the start of this Six Nations, the BBC have been using the standard Six Nations graphics - they just add a BBC logo to the scorebar. That's unless it was different today.

Maybe that was the case, I don't know, don't pay that much attention to it. As said above, the refs watch is the one that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

but if the TV clock was wrong then the game would have finished with 78 mins on it, they did have a lineout on 79 mins, does the ref have to say "time on, time off" continuously during the game and what happens if he forgets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

dring wrote: »
    but if the TV clock was wrong then the game would have finished with 78 mins on it, they did have a lineout on 79 mins, does the ref have to say "time on, time off" continuously during the game and what happens if he forgets?
    A referee says "time on/time off" in games to inform the time keeper/other officials that he is stopping the match clock. If referee doesn't say "time on/off" then the time keeper of the game wont stop the clock and game will be shorter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

dring wrote: »

The Six Nations source says that the timing "got out of synch but it may have been corrected".

Surely it's as simple as watching the game again with an eye on the clock and seeing when it stops/starts. It's not like the FBI are needed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

I'm not sure what they're like now, but TG4 went through a phase of being absolutely terrible for their clock going out of sync from the actual match clock on Pro 12 games. Of course I think at least in those instances the stadium clock was kept correct, which made it so easy to spot as when it appeared on screen the difference was glaring!

Advertisement