Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Guinness will be a good sponsor. They're very good at promoting their product and marketing. They've done a great job with the hurling championship.

Also an immediately recognised brand which will be good for the league profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ssaye are you a private rugby detective? Does any rugby information get past you on the internet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There may have been speculative registering of a number of domains to guard agains cybersquatting. I guess we'll find out sooner rather than later as I'd expect the fixture list to be published pretty soon as LNR and Premiership Rugby have both published theres.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah I'm sure they would have jumped on a number of domains to prevent that. Just as I'm sure there are countless failed attempts by people to register leinster.ie and hold leinster rugby to ransom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I hope this guinness rumour is correct.I think they would be great sponsors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

But I thought the Irish had no interest in the Pro12............Magners and Guinness aye!

I hate Guinness. :(

Edit: However compared to RaboDirect they would be much better sponsors.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9375305,00.html

Edinburgh have confirmed the signing of 23-year-old USA Eagles wing Brett Thompson on a one-year contract, subject to medical examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/guinness-head-in-as-new-sponsors-of-pro-12-1-3469675

"Celtic rugby organisers are preparing to announce brewery firm Guinness as the new sponsors of the PRO 12, the Evening News understands."

• Advertisement

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/guinness-head-in-as-new-sponsors-of-pro-12-1-3469675

"Celtic rugby organisers are preparing to announce brewery firm Guinness as the new sponsors of the PRO 12, the Evening News understands."

They read boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ha, sure enough:

http://whois.danrodgers.pro/new/guinnesspro12.com

Might be interesting to try a bunch of random ones to see who else tendered!

http://whois.danrodgers.pro/new/heinekenpro12.com - Nope!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Brewery Firm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Weren't RaboDirect sponsoring the league just for the Irish arm of it?

It kind of further rubbishes the argument that Ireland and Irish teams don't take it seriously!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not per se. They sponsored the whole thing but only have a presence in Ireland.

yeah so they only sponsored it for the Irish market.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    yeah so they only sponsored it for the Irish market.

Ah yes, I get ya. Thought you meant they were only officially sponsoring the Irish part (a la the Super XV).

I didn't know you could do that in SuperXV but I suppose it makes sense.

I didn't know you could do that in SuperXV but I suppose it makes sense.

Makes more sense there cause of the much more disparate media markets. The Italians should definitely be allowed get their own sponsor if they wanted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Makes more sense there cause of the much more disparate media markets. The Italians should definitely be allowed get their own sponsor if they wanted though.

What? The Italians love Guinness so they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As the dust settles on Brooksgate I can see all the Joe Duffy hand-wringers moving quickly to the 'booze in sport sponsorship' bandwagon once again. Which will be a pity, as this is an excellent deal for the league, Guinness always does well by its partners. And the Turkish Airlines Pro12 (as was mooted) would just have been wrong.

Other than that Id say, underage drinkers can't hack Guinness, so no worries.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As the dust settles on Brooksgate I can see all the Joe Duffy hand-wringers moving quickly to the 'booze in sport sponsorship' bandwagon once again. Which will be a pity, as this is an excellent deal for the league, Guinness always does well by its partners. And the Turkish Airlines Pro12 (as was mooted) would just have been wrong.

Other than that Id say, underage drinkers can't hack Guinness, so no worries.

I don't get the argument to be honest and in this economy any move to take money out of organisations like the IRFU or GAA is just plain dumb. Is there any real evidence to suggest that a ban on advertising would reduce binge drinking? Further to that wasn't it suggested that events like the Jameson Film Festival would be exempt?

/sorry off topic!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't get the argument to be honest and in this economy any move to take money out of organisations like the IRFU or GAA is just plain dumb. Is there any real evidence to suggest that a ban on advertising would reduce binge drinking? Further to that wasn't it suggested that events like the Jameson Film Festival would be exempt?

/sorry off topic!

Cultural events such as Music Festivals would be exempt, god forbid anyone would have an issue with beer companies giving out free drink to drunk kids.

They are just hitting the sports organisations.

Cultural events such as Music Festivals would be exempt, god forbid anyone would have an issue with beer companies giving out free drink to drunk kids.

It's nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

While I agree with your sentiments, if you think the beer at music festivals is free, you obviously haven't paid €6 for a pint of Heineken in a plastic glass at Electric Picnic recently...

When this (banning alcohol sponsorship) was first mooted, there was talk of the government making up the shortfall by increasing public funding, that has been quietly dropped so it's even less of a runner now IMO.

In fairness to Leo Varadkar, he's been very sensible on this issue and it hasn't progressed much at all under his watch.

While I agree with your sentiments, if you think the beer at music festivals is free, you obviously haven't paid €6 for a pint of Heineken in a plastic glass at Electric Picnic recently...

True but there always seems that there is one tent at every festival offering a free drink or free cans or something. At least a limited amount. I know generally its expensive but there is always some free drink somewhere provided by sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

True but there always seems that there is one tent at every festival offering a free drink or free cans or something. At least a limited amount. I know generally its expensive but there is always some free drink somewhere provided by sponsors.

I want to go to the festivals you're going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It kind of further rubbishes the argument that Ireland and Irish teams don't take it seriously!

I thought the biggest problem was that the Irish teams (and Glasgow) are the only ones who are taking it seriously

considering what they've been doing lately, i'm a little surprised BT didn't go for it.

• Advertisement

I thought the biggest problem was that the Irish teams (and Glasgow) are the only ones who are taking it seriously

Its more that Irish teams are dominating it without taking it seriously that is the problem.

Advertisement