Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I can see this next season "This is molloyjh, reporting from the RDS, for boards.ie..."

"Live from Mark McCafferty's lap, this is irishbucsfan with your Premiership update!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

"Live from Mark McCafferty's lap, this is irishbucsfan with your Premiership update!"

As long as it's not a blow by blow account...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I am looking forward to unbiased coverage from Sky. Regional broadcasters only care about local teams and local darbys, it will be nice to see games like Glasgow Vs Scarlets(for example) with both teams getting equal billing and promoted based on there current form and league position as opposed to local loyalties.

Also, it will be good to see local derbies like judgement day in the millennium stadium, Munster Lienster in the aviva getting broadcast to a wider audience. I think a lot of English fans disregard the Pro12 simply because they don't get a chance to see it that often and when they do they get biased coverage often in a language they don't understand.

Sky is what the Pro12 needs. I hope that they can expand the deal in the future, so that they can get more money for the clubs and keep pace with the French and the English leagues.

RTE can go and jump! They spent the whole half hour build up to Connacht V Scarlets talking about the pervious day's Ireland game and then trotted out the old familiar line, something along the lines of "Poor auld Connacht have it tough, now over to parc i scarlets".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Apart from the cash, putting the Pro 12 behind a pay wall makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

OldRio wrote: »
    Apart from the cash, putting the Pro 12 behind a pay wall makes no sense at all.

You have to admit, it makes more sense than putting the GAA behind a paywall at least. Rugby is a professional sport and GAA is not.

Not only does the Pro12 need the cash, they need Sky's help in promoting and branding the League as its own entity, not just a series of games to keep the irish teams amused between European games.

• Advertisement

Sky have a gap to fill. They lost the EPL to BT sport.

At 3 O' Clock on a Saturday your average English Rugby fan will be watching the EPL and not a rebranded Rabo Pro12 game.
    Your average Irish Rugby fan could watch 4/5 games a weekend from the Pro12 last season for free. That now changes.

Money is the bottom line and I can see that, but on a purely selfish level I'm p!ss@d off.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

icdg wrote: »

Will he push it forward considering RTE dont have the rights to the world cup i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah it seems they have. Connacht will likely suffer big time from this. It means that there'll be at least a dozen less provincial games on terrestrial TV, probably 15 less at a minimum. All the provinces will suffer as a result, but you'd have to imagine Connacht will suffer the most.

We will suffer abit but not as much as you would think, RTÉ never showed us anyhow and I'd imagine Sky would be more inclined to show Munster or Leinster games. It is cheap for TG4 to set up in Galway aswell..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sky have a gap to fill. They lost the EPL to BT sport.

At 3 O' Clock on a Saturday your average English Rugby fan will be watching the EPL and not a rebranded Rabo Pro12 game.
    Your average Irish Rugby fan could watch 4/5 games a weekend from the Pro12 last season for free. That now changes.

Money is the bottom line and I can see that, but on a purely selfish level I'm p!ss@d off.

You confused me there for a minute, EPL is whats generally used to refer to the soccer.
    You could only watch 4-5 games a weekend if you had a Sky box to access BBC ALBA, BBC Wales and S4C. Sky/UPC is also needed to watch BBC NI. Neither of these services is free. The only 'free' matches were on RTE and TG4.
    Sky is taking 1 match a weekend (2 on only 8 weekends out of 22). The rest will still be available FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I can see this next season "This is molloyjh, reporting from the RDS, for boards.ie..."

The matches would need to be late kick-offs. Language like mine is frowned upon earlier in the day.....

I genuinely laughed out loud when I read this. :D
    wprathead wrote: »
    We will suffer abit but not as much as you would think, RTÉ never showed us anyhow and I'd imagine Sky would be more inclined to show Munster or Leinster games. It is cheap for TG4 to set up in Galway aswell..

Munster and Leinster games will only count for 5 or 6 of the games shown on Sky. If TG4 are the only other ones showing provincial home games they'd be more inclined to go to Limerick or Dublin you would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Might as well get Sky in for TRC now then.

You confused me there for a minute, EPL is whats generally used to refer to the soccer.
    You could only watch 4-5 games a weekend if you had a Sky box to access BBC ALBA, BBC Wales and S4C. Sky/UPC is also needed to watch BBC NI. Neither of these services is free. The only 'free' matches were on RTE and TG4.
    Sky is taking 1 match a weekend (2 on only 8 weekends out of 22). The rest will still be available FTA.

So much wrong information in that post. No wonder Sky make money.

You do not need a Sky box to access BBC Alba, BBC Wales and S4C. You only need a freesat box. Which is subscription free.

Sky/UPC is not needed to watch BBCNI. It is accessible via a freeview or saorview box in many parts of this island. It is also accessible via freesat. (Even an old grey sky box can be tuned into BBCNI and BBC Wales without a subscription, using the 'others' option.
    Some of the Ulster games were accessible via the Red button. Available on a freeview or saorview box.

'Neither of these services is free' Please show me were I said they were free?

'The only free matches were on RTE and TG4.' Incorrect, please see above.

Like I said and I stand by it. I watched 4/5 games nearly every weekend for no extra charge.

I am looking forward to unbiased coverage from Sky. Regional broadcasters only care about local teams and local darbys, it will be nice to see games like Glasgow Vs Scarlets(for example) with both teams getting equal billing and promoted based on there current form and league position as opposed to local loyalties.

Also, it will be good to see local derbies like judgement day in the millennium stadium, Munster Lienster in the aviva getting broadcast to a wider audience. I think a lot of English fans disregard the Pro12 simply because they don't get a chance to see it that often and when they do they get biased coverage often in a language they don't understand.

Sky is what the Pro12 needs. I hope that they can expand the deal in the future, so that they can get more money for the clubs and keep pace with the French and the English leagues.

RTE can go and jump! They spent the whole half hour build up to Connacht V Scarlets talking about the pervious day's Ireland game and then trotted out the old familiar line, something along the lines of "Poor auld Connacht have it tough, now over to parc i scarlets".

I take your points. I'd need to pay UPC €39.00 per month €470 per year to get sky just to watch Rugby (only other sport I'm interested in is athletics). Currently I can watch the entire PRO12 season for whatever I'm paying UPC and my TV licence (which I abhor paying because of who it goes towards paying Tubridy I'm looking at you).

The cost isn't the issue for me however, it's the possibility of having to listen to f**king Barnes outside of HC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I got Sky Sports in last week. Enjoying it today for the rugby.

Looking forward to what Sky bring to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

If only Sky could get NRL back . . .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So much wrong information in that post. No wonder Sky make money.

You do not need a Sky box to access BBC Alba, BBC Wales and S4C. You only need a freesat box. Which is subscription free.

Sky/UPC is not needed to watch BBCNI. It is accessible via a freeview or saorview box in many parts of this island. It is also accessible via freesat. (Even an old grey sky box can be tuned into BBCNI and BBC Wales without a subscription, using the 'others' option.
    Some of the Ulster games were accessible via the Red button. Available on a freeview or saorview box.

'Neither of these services is free' Please show me were I said they were free?

'The only free matches were on RTE and TG4.' Incorrect, please see above.

Like I said and I stand by it. I watched 4/5 games nearly every weekend for no extra charge.

Sky don't get money cause people are dumb. Sky have plenty of rugby, football and other sports that are not available freeview and plenty want to access this. Obviously you don't, but 5 of the 6 games will still be available to the other broadcasters most weeks.
    Also you have to purchase a freeview box or enabled tv before you can access other channels. Thats an extra charge.

Sky don't get money cause people are dumb. Sky have plenty of rugby, football and other sports that are not available freeview and plenty want to access this. Obviously you don't, but 5 of the 6 games will still be available to the other broadcasters most weeks.
    Also you have to purchase a freeview box or enabled tv before you can access other channels. Thats an extra charge.

Sky get money because they show sport that people are willing to pay for but your first post about this was full of inaccuracies. You had no idea that all that Rugby could be received without extra payment. Do you agree. I can quote you again if you wish.

You are taking the pi$$ on your last point. Yeah I need a digital TV to watch digital television. Or a digital receiver if I have an old TV to watch any TV.
    A freeview box will not get extra channels. Wrong again,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Hogg staying with Glasgow, for another year at least.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/27756108

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pie_01.jpg

Was it tasty Stuart?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    Pie_01.jpg

Was it tasty Stuart?

Bonus Point for Gregor Townsend! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Owen Williams has suffered a serious neck injury in Singapore playing an off season tournament with the Blues. Parents have flown out to be with him. Very little information available currently but really doesn't look good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    Owen Williams has suffered a serious neck injury in Singapore playing an off season tournament with the Blues. Parents have flown out to be with him. Very little information available currently but really doesn't look good at all.

Every time I go to a match, I am amazed and thankful that there are not more serious injuries. I really hope Owen is going to be OK - it sounds serious.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Looks like a bad one alright

Latest release has confirmed significant damage to his spinal cord.

At this time, I think we're looking at retirement at best.

Latest release has confirmed significant damage to his spinal cord.

At this time, I think we're looking at retirement at best.

Oh God that's really awful. Heart goes out to the guy.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Oh God that's really awful. Heart goes out to the guy.

Absolutely. I suppose there's some sort of miracle where he might be able to play again but I can't see it (in my wholly uneducated opinion).

When Macauley Cook stayed behind after the team left Singapore to remain at his bedside, though, I thought it had to be very bad.

Absolutely. I suppose there's some sort of miracle where he might be able to play again but I can't see it (in my wholly uneducated opinion).

When Macauley Cook stayed behind after the team left Singapore to remain at his bedside, though, I thought it had to be very bad.

Ah well feck the rugby career at this stage, I just hope the guy can get back to something close to normal at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My reading is he might be able to walk again but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I gulped when I read spinal cord injury. I hope he can recover as much as possible.

Advertisement