Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hmmm it does look like he left the foot in though, or was careless with it.

Leg trails a bit alright but seemed to be the Scarlets player who did the damage? Very harsh.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In real time it looks even more innocuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

These citings are beginning to annoy me - the citing commisioners remind me of the speed trap guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

vienne86 wrote: »
    These citings are beginning to annoy me - the citing commisioners remind me of the speed trap guys.

I wonder if it works the same... Like, if they stuck a cardboard cutout of a citing commissioner on the side of the pitch would the players behave a bit better?

Can't the teams themselves make a request to the citing commissioner?

No coincidence that both teams played Welsh opponents last week and are playing Welsh opponents this week.

Tin foil hat time lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

awec wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DN8U-6wyGOg&list=PL9mmlCY22idl-yHVp2c-qXssxr9s_DJkP#t=4582

That is the Marshall incident (that's him in the scrumcap).

Ridiculous, completely accidental and it's a fecking tap!

DOC got two weeks for similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can't the teams themselves make a request to the citing commissioner?

No coincidence that both teams played Welsh opponents last week and are playing Welsh opponents this week.

Tin foil hat time lads.

No not anymore. That rather stupid tit-for-tat system was done away with a number of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Samuel Vunisa is leaving Zebre for Saracens, another big blow for the Italian teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yea that's a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If that's a 'kick' then I'm Brad Thorne.

How did they figure it was a mid-range offence? Surely it's entry, if at all?

Still to hear about Roger Wilson, though with Marshall getting 5 weeks setting the precedent then presumably Wilson's sentence will be carried out at dawn.

.ak wrote: »
    If that's a 'kick' then I'm Brad Thorne.

How did they figure it was a mid-range offence? Surely it's entry, if at all?

How on earth to you rationalise this in the context of the POC v Dave Kearney incident?

I'm not surprised it was cited, foot made contact with head but the punishment is insane.

Safety has gone a bit mental in Rugby, honestly I can see this sort of thing leading to soccer style dramatics any time some leads with an arm or trips over a player on the ground.

Desperate stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Watching it again I can't see it being an accidental contact as the way Marshall is moving it actually hinders his progress leaving the foot in like that, it's not a natural movement if he was just running.

Also you very rarely, if ever, see this type of incident happening as usually the player in Marshall's position would lift their leg or just not be that close to the player on the ground.

To me it looks like Marshall kicked him on purpose and the player had to go off so it wasn't just a tap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not too surprised he got a ban going on this season but 5 weeks is completely over the top even by the standards followed this campaign. I'd like to see another angle but it seems to me he's just turning his foot as he begins to spin and back into the defensive line. The contact with the face was completely innocuous, had little force and was minimal overall.

I'd have expected 2 weeks.

Watching it again I can't see it being an accidental contact as the way Marshall is moving it actually hinders his progress leaving the foot in like that, it's not a natural movement if he was just running.

Also you very rarely, if ever, see this type of incident happening as usually the player in Marshall's position would lift their leg or just not be that close to the player on the ground.

To me it looks like Marshall kicked him on purpose and the player had to go off so it wasn't just a tap either.
    He wasn't running, he was turning his body around to get back in line and be facing the right way.

Completely accidental, if you wanted to kick someone in the head you'd actually kick them and then not throw your hands up afterward to draw attention to it.

How on earth to you rationalise this in the context of the POC v Dave Kearney incident?

I'm not surprised it was cited, foot made contact with head but the punishment is insane.

Safety has gone a bit mental in Rugby, honestly I can see this sort of thing leading to soccer style dramatics any time some leads with an arm or trips over a player on the ground.

Desperate stuff.

POC didn't get cited. If he had he may well also have seen a few weeks off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah but if you're turning your body you don't leave one of your legs in that position.

POC didn't get cited. If he had he may well also have seen a few weeks off.

Which in itself was a farce and a black mark on Irish rugby imo. Genuinely embarrassed by that, considering it made the 'world' rugby news.

He's joining the defensive line, not running. It's completely accidental imo, not sure how they can prove otherwise either.

• Advertisement

It's pretty mad that disciplinary sentences are decided by a chair of people who all have a clear conflict of interest.

Same for McCloskey whose fate was decided by an all Welsh panel just as Ulster were due to play a string of Welsh opposition, two of which are competing for European places.

Which in itself was a farce and a black mark on Irish rugby imo. Genuinely embarrassed by that, considering it made the 'world' rugby news.

I think he would have been cited if there wasn't a HEC semi 2 weeks later. The lack of a citing that time actually made things worse.

I think he would have been cited if there wasn't a HEC semi 2 weeks later. The lack of a citing that time actually made things worse.

Yeah, that's what I meant, brushed under the carpet when it was obviously in the limelight.

He's joining the defensive line, not running. It's completely accidental imo, not sure how they can prove otherwise either.

He's looking straight at the guy when contact is made, it's not accidental.

Hrmm, good point. But the more I look at it, the more it looks like he's looking to kick the ball out of his hand.

I'd be very surprised if Marshall intentionally booted a player in the face deliberately in open play.

I think he clipped him, knew he clipped him and acknowledged it immediately. There was nothing clandestine about it. If I'm running and I try to spin anti-clockwise, my left foot comes out away from my body, turning towards parallel to my body. Maybe not in as an exaggerated manner as Marshall's did but I suspect I somewhat differently.

And yes, I have jogged across my office floor to put this into practice, sadly.

@ .ak

I can only assume that too, as Marshall isn't that type of player, but he did kick the guy in the head whatever he was trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Not surprised he copped a ban but surprised by the length. He obviously didn't apologise on Twitter or wear his best suit to the hearing to get 3 or 4 weeks taken off.

I don't think Marshall meant to kick him in the face so in that way it is accidental but he shouldn't have had his foot around that area in the first place. Maybe he trying to kick it out of his hands or something like .ak said but the fact that he is looking down at him as they make contact doesn't look great.

Actually, having frozen it and watched a few more times, I think he was looking to kick the ball as mentioned above which is bloody stupid on his part.

I would say reckless and 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Not surprised he copped a ban but surprised by the length. He obviously didn't apologise on Twitter or wear his best suit to the hearing to get 3 or 4 weeks taken off.

I don't think Marshall meant to kick him in the face so in that way it is accidental but he shouldn't have had his foot around that area in the first place. Maybe he trying to kick it out of his hands or something like .ak said but the fact that he is looking down at him as they make contact doesn't look great.

Actually he initially got 8 weeks, but had it reduced by 3 weeks for previous good behaviour.

Advertisement