Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good wedding wine...

Options
  • 31-01-2007 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Could anyone help me - We are buying our wine for the wedding and neither of us know much about it. I know wine is a personal choice but im just looking for something 'safe' but pleasant. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Aquitane

Any idea yet of the menu you are planning?

Also depending on the location you may be stuck with a limited list from the venue unless you are going to supply your own and pay them corkage. This could be a very good option if the charge is not outrageous (some of them are) and would give you a lot of flexibility on your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

Yes we are buying our own wine (not from hotel). We have not finalised the menu but will probably be along the usual lines - beef and salmon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'd advise you buy the following book
    101 Great Wines For Under €10 (All available In Ireland)
    By John Wilson.
    Published By A&A Farmar

It's less than a tenner itself and has some good recommendations in it.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Food notwithstanding, you'll need a red and a white. You'll also need to satisfy lots of people with wildly differing tastes. I assume you're not minted, so cost may be an issue too.

I'm sure you have lots of agonising research ahead of you, but I vote for:

>RED< Spanish Rioja. Vanilla and strawberries are the flavours. Crianza is the least expensive version, but it's still fine. Easy drinking.

New Zealand Pinot Noir or Italian Barbera would be good substitutes. Australian Shiraz (try Chapel Hill if you can find it) is reliably good too.

>WHITE< If you ARE rich, splash out on Mersault (white Burgundy / Chardonnay). Riesling is great too.

The food is important though. Maybe if you put up your menu, people could give more tailored suggestions. I'll even try it myself, though I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I found the lads at www.winestore.ie to be helpful when I had a similar query

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

For unusual Champagnes go to www.lovelybubbly.co.uk

Something from this range might be good for the reception.

And for matching food and wine, see www.wineloverspage.com/foodwine/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

Thanks some good ideas there. i dont want to go down the book route...i would rather see peoples feedback here. thanks again/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

For your Red I would suggest you get your self a bottle of Guigal Cotes du Rhone (around €12) and if you like start chatting to some offies to see what they would do you on a few cases. If you want to go a little mad try Torbec Woodcutters Shiraz which you will get in O'Briens for around €17.

On the white side I would play it safe with a Chardonnay or Chablis. Cant really recommend any in particular but any offie will be more than happy to assist you.

Best of luck and have a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For our wedding we headed to Tesco's. Bought Banrock Station red and white (Shiraz/Mataro and Colombard/Chardonnay). Lots of compliments on the quality of the wine (and quantity!). Normally €8 a bottle, we bought in one of their regular sales for 25% off.

Personally I think buying 'good' wine is a waste of money. Let's face it - your Uncle Joe and Gran Aunt Maisie are unlikely to be wine connoisseurs are they!

Advertisement