Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chinese or finnish wedding

Options
  • 30-01-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Ok, here is the situation, Im engaged to a chinese woman and we live in finland (she only has a finnish student VISA and needs another VISA to visit Ireland). We have been trying to begin our wedding plans and have gotten bogged down in the first and basic detail; Where to hold it.
    We were planning on having the official ceromony in the EU (Ireland or the finland) and then going to China a few months after for a ceromony & party for her family over ther (and to take advantage of the low prices there). The reason we are moving more towards a finnish wedding is because if in Ireland I believe we have to "apply" to marry 3 months before the wedding, and we will not be spending that much time in Ireland over the next few years. The reason we were thinking of having the "official" wedding in the EU is because we are under the impression that it will be easier in terms of paperwork (when we are trying to get her VISAs for living here).
    So I guess what we want to know is if anyone out there has been in a similar situation ie marrying a non-EU citizen in a country appart from your own or marrying then in their home country. Will the marrige be taken seriously by the Irish department of Justice/immigration if it was held in china*? Would they take it more seriously if it was held in Finland.

*It may seem odd that I ask this but I have heard of stories of British people marrying in china and the UK didn't allow the chinese wife into the UK.

edit: forgot to mention, neither of us believe in god or want a church wedding so in any scenario we will be going for a registrars office

second edit: ok, we found another internet page that seems to paint a different story, so maybe someone could tell us if we need to be residing in Ireland for the 3 months inbetween the wedding application to the register office and the wedding, or do we just have to turn up 29 days before the wedding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

My understanding is that you need to apply 3 months in advance but the residency rules are
    either
    1. One person must be in for 15 days before the wedding or
    2. Both people must be in ireland 7 days before with the wedding not happening until at least the 8th day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

1. One person must be in for 15 days before the wedding or
    2. Both people must be in ireland 7 days before with the wedding not happening until at least the 8th day.
    Ah, I read in one place it was that you have to live in the area for 8 days after applying then you can't marry until after a further 21 days. But at least I now know I don't have to live in Ireland for 3 months before the wedding :D

Advertisement