Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes

Options
  • 16-03-2019 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of changing a dacia duster 132 , for a Mercedes. I'm approaching retirement and always promised myself a bit of comfort when the time came.
    Not in a panic , but I suppose ill get 6 k and put 13 or 14 with it , was in one recently tho an 03 and automatic , it was very comfortable and nicely laid out inside , I just wondered what type would be best in that price bracket.
    No problem with automatic but like to keep tax low , and are they expensive , maintenance wise?
    Thks
    Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Yes you can buy the Mercedes but do not buy that without serious scanning by the star diagnostics. You will be surpised how much that technology can see. The regular obd2 scanners are toys compared by star diagnostics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

w211 wrote: »
    Yes you can buy the Mercedes but do not buy that without serious scanning by the star diagnostics. You will be surpised how much that technology can see. The regular obd2 scanners are toys compared by star diagnostics.

Not sure what that means !!! But it's exactly the type Im ooking for , cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

This is specific dealer level scanner what can communicate by all mercedes microcontrollers. It can save for you very expensive repair bills. If you are on my neighborhood, I can offer the free readings.

This is specific dealer level scanner what can communicate by all mercedes microcontrollers. It can save for you very expensive repair bills. If you are on my neighborhood, I can offer the free readings.

Extremely interesting, thks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How about BMW? You might get a bit more for your money.
    I would never go back in years. Particularly approaching retirement and reduced income. You want to have a newish car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

just as a side note, how did you find the duster? thinking of getting one myself.
    sorry if im hijacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

oceanman wrote: »
    just as a side note, how did you find the duster? thinking of getting one myself.
    sorry if im hijacking.

Have you drove one? I'd suggest doing that first and foremost. It's not a nice drive at all imho and I'm not driving a rolls royce either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I am thinking of changing a dacia duster 132 , for a Mercedes. I'm approaching retirement and always promised myself a bit of comfort when the time came.
    Not in a panic , but I suppose ill get 6 k and put 13 or 14 with it , was in one recently tho an 03 and automatic , it was very comfortable and nicely laid out inside , I just wondered what type would be best in that price bracket.
    No problem with automatic but like to keep tax low , and are they expensive , maintenance wise?
    Thks
    Paddy

If you are looking to get into a second hand Merc to keep for a while you will need to get a good independent garage that is familiar with them.
    Would you consider keeping the Dacia as a daily and getting an older Merc on vintage tax/insurance as a hobby/weekend car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

Miike wrote: »
    Have you drove one? I'd suggest doing that first and foremost. It's not a nice drive at all imho and I'm not driving a rolls royce either :(
    no, haven't drove as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

sorry if im hijacking.
    You are hijacking, please start your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

The problem that Mercedes, Audi and BMW face these days is that the herd is catching up - and passing them out. I'd say we are about the same vintage and when I was younger, if you wanted comfort, reliability and the nice extras like 'electric windows, heated s/wheel etc. you needed to spend some bucks and get a premium brand.

Now they are no more reliable (in fact, less reliable) and often far less specified and comfortable for comparable money. With UK import running the way they are at present, residuals are also no better.

Consider this before you spend you hard earned cash. I'm about 3-4 years away from retirement myself. Consider the luxury \ power \ reliability etc. that you can get from Skoda, VW, Kia etc. for the same money as an older, less powerful,, less well specced Merc or BMW.

However, if you just want to get it out of your system ,I fully understand that as I've done it myself, so the very best of luck with whatever you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Go for e class in my opinion. Motor tax on most of them is the morning rates, ie 390 and below ...

Gael23 wrote: »
    How about BMW? You might get a bit more for your money.
    I would never go back in years. Particularly approaching retirement and reduced income. You want to have a newish car.

Thank You , any idea what type id be aiming for in that money area thks

sorry if im hijacking.

brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just parked beside up a 171 c class. Looks like a noddy toy car. Get an e class at least. You want proper comfort get an s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

The e class is the best looking car in their range imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Bought a 2012 e250 in June 2017 from the uk .
    Saw one in Limerick ... Exact same model .
    Limerick dealer was looking for €25000.
    Was able to import from the uk for a total price of €18000.
    That included purchase price / Vrt ( €4000) / €500 for company to import it.
    It's the first Mercedes I've owned.
    It drives the same today as when I got it .
    I do 50 to 60000 km a year in it for work .
    A fabulous car !!!!

Bought a 2012 e250 in June 2017 from the uk .
    Saw one in Limerick ... Exact same model .
    Limerick dealer was looking for €25000.
    Was able to import from the uk for a total price of €18000.
    That included purchase price / Vrt ( €4000) / €500 for company to import it.
    It's the first Mercedes I've owned.
    It drives the same today as when I got it .
    I do 50 to 60000 km a year in it for work .
    A fabulous car !!!!

oh wow sounds ideal ,indeed , would you recommend the buyer and could you tell me who they are , a call might be no harm.thks Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Just had a quick check on auto trader UK and saw a 2016 E220 with 60000 miles,looks like a very good spec for 13995 pounds. The vrt for this particular car is just over 4,000 euros using the revenue.ie calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Very apt username for this thread.

W211 owner here. Used to change my car every 18months or so. Bought a year old car back in 2010.still have it..... Says it'll really :) go for it OP, you won't regret

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You want a peaceful retirement don't you? Forget about BMW, they will drain your pension fund.

A facelift e-class from 2013 on is a very nice thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

freddieot wrote: »
    The problem that Mercedes, Audi and BMW face these days is that the herd is catching up - and passing them out. I'd say we are about the same vintage and when I was younger, if you wanted comfort, reliability and the nice extras like 'electric windows, heated s/wheel etc. you needed to spend some bucks and get a premium brand.

Now they are no more reliable (in fact, less reliable) and often far less specified and comfortable for comparable money. With UK import running the way they are at present, residuals are also no better.

Consider this before you spend you hard earned cash. I'm about 3-4 years away from retirement myself. Consider the luxury \ power \ reliability etc. that you can get from Skoda, VW, Kia etc. for the same money as an older, less powerful,, less well specced Merc or BMW.

However, if you just want to get it out of your system ,I fully understand that as I've done it myself, so the very best of luck with whatever you buy.

I have to say i disagree with the above. I own a bmw and have driven audi also and they are more enjoyable to drive around in. I cant really tell the difference from a pure driving point of view but just sitting into it and moving around vs the other cars. There is no comparison. If price wasnt an issue, would you really pick skida,vw or kia. I cant speak for mercs but the info-tainment system is much better compared to what i have experienced in other cars. The car feels more luxurious compared to those brands. I have heard they are less reliable and they are much more expensive to repair however you only live once and money is there to be enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Fol20 wrote: »
    I own a bmw and have driven audi also and they are more enjoyable to drive around in. I cant really tell the difference from a pure driving point of view but just sitting into it and moving around vs the other cars. There is no comparison. If price wasnt an issue, would you really pick skida,vw or kia.

Just moved from a 2014 F10 5 series to a 2015 Superb 1.4Tsi ACT. The Skoda is not as luxurious inside for sure, but I prefer it in every other way to the BMW. More spacious, refined (petrol V diesel), more comfortable, better ride, better infotainment, cheaper to run, etc. The BMW also needed over €4000 worth of warranty work, this on a 4 year old car.

I'm a lifelong BMW fan but the F10 in N47 form must be one of the most over hyped cars ever. It was real let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Just moved from a 2014 F10 5 series to a 2015 Superb 1.4Tsi ACT. The Skoda is not as luxurious inside for sure, but I prefer it in every other way to the BMW. More spacious, refined (petrol V diesel), more comfortable, better ride, better infotainment, cheaper to run, etc. The BMW also needed over €4000 worth of warranty work, this on a 4 year old car.

I'm a lifelong BMW fan but the F10 in N47 form must be one of the most over hyped cars ever. It was real let down.

I have driven the newer f30 and f36 so not sure about the f10's as im not looking for larger cars. I think the info-tainment for audi and bmw are best in business. In term of space ,it depends what your looking for. I like my current car. I wouldnt call it spacious by any means but thats not what im look for in my current model. Repair costs will be at least 2-3+ more than other cars. Have your eyes wide open when buying the car so there are no surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seve OB wrote: »
    Very apt username for this thread.

W211 owner here. Used to change my car every 18months or so. Bought a year old cat back in 2010.still have it..... Says it'll really :) go for it OP, you won't regret

What model of Jag did you buy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A quick online search suggests you could get a 2015 or at a push a 2016 3 series. And for similar monyt back a year or two to 2014 or stretching it to 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

oh wow sounds ideal ,indeed , would you recommend the buyer and could you tell me who they are , a call might be no harm.thks Paddy

Hi paddy , sorry for delay getting back to you .
    Walmersley trade sales in bury in Manchester was name of garage .
    Adam was the salesman I was dealing with .
    I'm a TAXIDRIVER in galway .
    Have the car just about 2 years .
    Have put over 100, 000 km in 2 years .
    Just tyres / service parts .
    Car drives exactly the same today as when I first got it .
    Won't be buying anything other than Mercedes from now on .
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yes, a 518d would be a let down for most car fans lets be honest. Its the bottom of the range in the 5 series. You bought a lemon and you've done nothing but slated BMW brand over it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wailin wrote: »
    Yes, a 518d would be a let down for most car fans lets be honest. Its the bottom of the range in the 5 series. You bought a lemon and you've done nothing but slated BMW brand over it since.

He's right though, isn't he? 4 cylinder diesel engines are dire, even the least unrefined ones (as that N47 from BMW)

I honestly have no idea why they are so popular in Ireland (apart from the chape tax). And I'm not even going to mention timing chains and EGR fires.

I'm a long time BMW fan myself, but I'll easily admit I'd prefer to own a Superb 1.4tsi petrol...

Advertisement