Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my car worthless?

• 15-03-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of deciding what to do with my old car as it's gone beyond economical repair (to my mind at least) and was wondering if it would be worth anything to anyone

It's a 2.0 HDi 407 coupe with 135k miles and is NCTd and taxed until August or September (can't recall exactly)

Anyway, the bad points

- Needs a new steering rack
    - Needs a wheel bearing
    - Needs an ABS sensor
    - Air con stuck on hot on passenger side & cold on drivers side - common issue but a pain in the arse to fix

I'm thinking its probably only fit for scrap but not sure how much I'd get for it

I think I can claim a tax refund if I do scrap it at least

Pic from when I got it - still looks just as clean after a wash
    lassykk wrote: »
    SeqCL.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To claim back road tax you'll need at least three full months left and a certificate from a registered scrap yard (ATF) to declare the car has been scrapped.

Road tax refund would be worth 3-350 euro. You might get a few bob for the alloys if they are in good condition, and the scrap value should be around the 70 - 100 euro mark.

So she's worth 500 euro to you anyway.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

To claim back road tax you'll need at least three full months left and a certificate from a registered scrap yard (ATF) to declare the car has been scrapped.

Road tax refund would be worth 3-350 euro. You might get a few bob for the alloys if they are in good condition, and the scrap value should be around the 70 - 100 euro mark.

So she's worth 500 euro to you anyway.

Cheers for that. Would be scrapping before end of March so would do OK on the tax front. Will contact a few breakers and see what they have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

I wouldn't have thought those issues to be that major. Second hand steering rack. Heating problem could get annoying though. Bear in mind the car is costing nothing in depreciation and the second you buy a new one your loosing a couple grand the first year.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought those issues to be that major. Second hand steering rack. Heating problem could get annoying though. Bear in mind the car is costing nothing in depreciation and the second you buy a new one your loosing a couple grand the first year.

100% agree they are repairable but combining the cost with the fact I felt it was time for a change after 6.5 years the decision was made.

I've had the aircon fixed 3 times during my ownership of the car and it never stays working and it drove me insane!

I also can't do any of the work myself which obviously adds to the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Put it on Donedeal for 500+, see what bites, you have nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will be worth €100 max to a scrap dealer.

Have you priced the cost of repairing it versus how much much you have to spend on a replacement car?

bazz26 wrote: »
    It will be worth €100 max to a scrap dealer.

Have you priced the cost of repairing it versus how much much you have to spend on a new car?

I've taken the plunge on a new car so not a consideration at this stage to repair.

I had done that maths and it made far more financial sense to repair it. The heart said different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you have the time, space and patience then breaking it for parts yourself might be more financially beneficial than selling it as is to a scrap dealer. However I'm not sure there is much demand for 407 coupe parts outside of those shared with the saloon/estate.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you have the time, space and patience then breaking it for parts yourself might be more financially beneficial than selling it as is to a scrap dealer. However I'm not sure there is much demand for 407 coupe parts outside of those shared with the saloon/estate.

Have all of the above but zero skill - I don't even own a tool set so unless I can snap it off it's not really an option

I doubt there's much demand unfortunately - maybe the engine but I literally would have zero ability to get that out

I might go with the donedeal option and if I got the same I'd get for scrapping it plus the tax back I'd be happy to see it back on the road as it served me really well (bar the bloody aircon!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

What year is it?
    Looks a really nice car, real shame to scrap, rare enough on the road too.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Advertisement

BronsonTB wrote: »
    What year is it?
    Looks a really nice car, real shame to scrap, rare enough on the road too.

2007 so old tax of €710.

It cleans up lovely... had it valeted for a wedding back in the autumn and it cleaned up like new. Had it fully professionally resprayed when I bought it so the paint is nice and fresh still.

Would need someone willing to throw the few quid at it to make it right though. And given its rarity there aren't many willing I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Seems a shame to scrap it OP. Try it on Donedeal for 5 or 600 quid. It would be a shame to take it off the road for a few minor faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

What are the alloys and tyres like? I’m about to get a 407 estate set of alloys refurbed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Beautiful colour. Somebody will bite on donedeal and if its as clean as you say, you should get 500 yoyos easy enough i'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've a 2005 TDci Mondeo, 310km fuel pump needs changing, so realistically going to just scrap it as it's too much to fix but car is fully working otherwise.

• Administrators Posts: 54,106 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Auction maybe?

I offloaded my barely-able-to-drive Focus this way a few years ago and got about 10 times the scrap value for it, to my amazement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭KathleenF

I'm going to piggy back on this as I'm in a similar situation. I've a 08 Honda Civic, about 195km on it. Needs new brake pads, and spark plugs, possibly a clutch. Local Honda garage said it would cost about 2k to fix up but that it would probably do me for another 100km after that. It's been in two minor accidents, one where the damage was repaired, and another where it wasn't, which has left a slight but noticeable dent in the side panel. I want to upgrade and have put my eye on a Toyota Auris from a private seller. Is my car worth anything? Seems an awful shame just to scrap it when it could have another 10 years driving in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's a 407 coupe, quite rare enough especially in diesel.
    Somoene will buy it off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I had an 06 407 that I "traded in" last November, it has since been sold to someone (can tell at motortax.ie) so it was worth it to someone. (it did need work done too)

KathleenF wrote: »
    I'm going to piggy back on this as I'm in a similar situation. I've a 08 Honda Civic, about 195km on it. Needs new brake pads, and spark plugs, possibly a clutch. Local Honda garage said it would cost about 2k to fix up but that it would probably do me for another 100km after that. It's been in two minor accidents, one where the damage was repaired, and another where it wasn't, which has left a slight but noticeable dent in the side panel. I want to upgrade and have put my eye on a Toyota Auris from a private seller. Is my car worth anything? Seems an awful shame just to scrap it when it could have another 10 years driving in it.

The worth of it depends on the size of the engine, the type of engine, the type of gearbox, the type of body, the condition of the inside, does it have an NCT and is it taxed?

Oh yeah, and the color.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Its never worthless if its doing a job and worth something to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Brake pads and spark plugs do not cost much. The clutch is a different story, but it wouldn't cost the earth either.

By the sounds of it the car is worth far more to you, fixed and driving than it would be selling it. Obviously it's hard to get over the itch to change but unfortunately that's the reality of the situation. You won't have to scrap it, someone will buy it off you for more than scrap value I would bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

What's wrong with the rack? Looks like it could be easy to sort a lot of those problems if you have the time and space

Having said that, if you are breaking it for parts can you let me know, I'm after the front brake setup from a 407 coupe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Deffo not worth spending 2 grand on IMO, but I cant imagine it costing 2k to do what you listed. More like 7-800. get another quote. Then I believe its very much worth it as the civic is a good reliable car and could go another 10 years or more.

Sorry for disappearing from the thread. I was dealing with someone on here about a potential sale but it didn't work out.

I'm going to stick it up on Donedeal being completely honest and see what happens. If not, I'll send it to a scrap yard and claim back the tax refund.

@FancyPigeon - I'm not sure - it's leaking some fluid, a tiny amount, and the steering is getting increasingly stiff. Had the system bled and topped up at Christmas which temporarily fixed the problem but they said it needed a new rack.

I don't plan on breaking it myself as I don't have the skills or inclination to do so.

Donedeal link: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-coupe-2-0-hdi-6-months-tax-amp-nct/21373645

Lets see if anyone has any interest!

Sorry for disappearing from the thread. I was dealing with someone on here about a potential sale but it didn't work out.

I'm going to stick it up on Donedeal being completely honest and see what happens. If not, I'll send it to a scrap yard and claim back the tax refund.

@FancyPigeon - I'm not sure - it's leaking some fluid, a tiny amount, and the steering is getting increasingly stiff. Had the system bled and topped up at Christmas which temporarily fixed the problem but they said it needed a new rack.

I don't plan on breaking it myself as I don't have the skills or inclination to do so.

Donedeal link: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-coupe-2-0-hdi-6-months-tax-amp-nct/21373645

The floor mats are worth the asking price alone. That cream piping with those seats - top drawer stuff! Well done on keeping the car in such fine condition. She will sell , for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I'm away for the next week but if it's still there id certainly be interested.

I'm in Waterford myself, have zero need for it at all but the fleet is currently down to 4 cars so that needs fixing :) it would also have some French company.....

Sold within the hour of listing it for full asking and generated more interest than I expected. Should have put a higher asking price. Thought my honesty would scare people off.

Being collected Monday so will leave the ad live until I have the cash in my hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Someone may have a donor car and swap out to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ooo man ....

That car looks great..if that came driving into the scrap yard it would be a travesty.

Glad someones buying , it deserves a few more years ...

Sold within the hour of listing it for full asking and generated more interest than I expected. Should have put a higher asking price. Thought my honesty would scare people off.

Being collected Monday so will leave the ad live until I have the cash in my hand!

Well done. Forget the “shuda asked for more” stuff. You were considering scrapping the thing so all being equal, you did way better than expected. Testament to the TLC from your good self. It was always going to sell with that color combo and condition you kept it:)

dodzy wrote: »
    Well done. Forget the “shuda asked for more” stuff. You were considering scrapping the thing so all being equal, you did way better than expected. Testament to the TLC from your good self. It was always going to sell with that color combo and condition you kept it:)

Cheers. The money comment was tongue in cheek. I'm happy with what I got. Cost me €12.5k, 6.5 years ago including the full respray so I think I can live with €2k per annum depreciation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Delighted you got it sold quickly...was a lovely example & was sorry I wasn't able to buy it this time.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Glad to see the car will get a new home. It would be such a shame for such a nice car that is 98% functioning to be binned. There so much boring dross on the roads that it's nice to see something special like this last. The colour alone looks special with so many white, grey and silver cars on the road.

Been replaced by something equally colourful

476302.jpg

476303.jpg

• Advertisement

Been replaced by something equally colourful

476302.jpg

476303.jpg

That's a seriously stunning car, congratulations and well wear.

Advertisement