Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HID bulb problem.

Options
  • 14-03-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Fitted a dipped beam 5000K HID kit to my car (correct lenses and headlight washers) about 5 weeks ago. It's a canbus kit with the harnesses to stop any bulb errors showing and was working perfectly up until now. Now only the passenger side bulb is lighting up. I've had a quick look this evening and all the connectors look fine and undamaged. Would the problem most likely be a faulty bulb and can you buy replacement bulbs or do I need a full new kit? I've contacted the guy on eBay that I bought the kit off so waiting to hear back from him.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fit it to the other headlight to see if it's the bulb or the bulb holder. When you fitted it originally did you happen to touch the bulb glass with your fingers at all? Touching the bulb glass with your fingers can shorten the life of the bulb or fuse it. Also bulb quality bought off ebay can be very hit and miss, most of the cheap ones usually don't last pissing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers, I'll switch it over tomorrow if the weather holds off and see does the other bulb work. I made sure to keep my oily hands away from the glass of the bulbs when fitting them so don't think that'a what caused it. Yeah some of the kits on eBay are absolute crap, but I asked on a few different BMW forums before buying and the one I got was recommended by a few users so not sure if it's a quality issue or I just got unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Update: Switched the ballasts over last week and the problem seemed to follow the ballast so I got a replacement one and fitted it. Seemed to be working as the bulb lit up, but now the bulb will go out after a while. I.E it could stay lit for 10 minutes or an hour and then just randomly go out while driving and not come back on until I turn the headlights off/on again and sometimes it'll take 3 or 4 flicks of the on/off headlight switch to get it to come back on (for however long it decides to stay lit).

The problem can't be the ballast as I've just gotten a new one and if the bulb was the problem I imagine it wouldn't light up at all? Any other ideas where to go from here or should I just get a completely different brand of kit?

Advertisement