Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will the general public reach the stage 4 of denial?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

creedp wrote: »
    I use the EV whenever it suits but the primary reason is financial not enjoyment. Each to their own but driving an L30 doesn't do much for me .. except for contributing to a new found 'tick' of continuously staring at the GOM to check on remaining range! EV's are great when they suit but an L30 certainly doesn't tick all the boxes for me. The only EV out there at the moment that would is the Model X but of course that's way outside my price range. It will be some time yet before there is an EV on the market that will tick all the boxes I need for a car.

I don't think a Model X type car will ever hit me, whilst I'd love one (or one like it) I just can't ever see the time a car that size with those size batteries will ever hit a reasonable price bracket.
    It's like we need more range but more range means more batteries and the more batteries means more weight and more weight means less range etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EVs are a fad..

Firmly stuck at stage1, I see. I had to quote that for posterity, I apologise in advance for how silly your post will look to someone coming across this post say in about 10 years time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

n97 mini wrote: »
    Where a petrol model of the same car exists, why do people buy the diesel version? Chape tax and chape fuel. There is no other reason to opt for diesel over petrol in a car. People will shíte on about torque. If people want torque why don't they buy the biggest petrol engine in the range (you guessed it: the diesel has chape tax and chape fuel).

Even if you were correct, which you're not, the irony and hypocrisy of your post seems to have sailed straight over your head.

What are the primary reasons people give on here for moving to EV ?

Well let's see what reasons you give..
    Q. So why should I consider an EV?
    A. If your daily driving is covered by an EV, it has all the benefits and more of a hybrid, including:
    1. Vastly cheaper to run. If you're charging at home expect to save between 70 and 90% on fuel. If you were spending €100 a month on fuel, an EV could cost you as little as €10.
    2. More convenient to fuel. Plug in when you get home. No more trips to petrol stations.
    3. Cheaper to service. Less moving parts.
    4. Cheaper to tax. €120.
    5. No local emissions at all.
    6. Vastly superior to drive. Instant throttle response. Super quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Rennaws wrote: »

If fuel was free no one here would be driving an EV

Well 99% anyway

If i won the lotto tomorrow would i drive an EV

Probably not

Well I might buy a Tesla for fun, but long trips would be taking my petrol Porsche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Take my wife's V70 D5 out and might think different.

Don't agree

Go drive a Tesla

Your V70 will feel like a transit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Even if you were correct, which you're not, the irony and hypocrisy of your post seems to have sailed straight over your head.

Context.
    There are many reasons why people drive diesels.

There are exactly two, and they both start with chape.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Don't agree

Go drive a Tesla

Your V70 will feel like a transit

I've never driven one, so I looked for a vid. Skip to 1:15

If a petrol engine sounded like that it'd be on its way to the breakers.

If fuel was free no one here would be driving an EV

Agreed.

Cost to run and maintain, combined with low tax and cheap tolls are the primary reasons universally and consistently given for moving to an EV.

They're good reasons but not the only ones.

The mini lad seems to be fine with this as long as everyone is moving to his chosen mode of transport but he seems to struggle when people make their own decisions and choices based on their needs and requirements.
    Well I might buy a Tesla for fun, but long trips would be taking my petrol Porsche

I would have zero interest in the Porsche but I do look forward to owning and driving a Tesla someday..

unkel wrote: »
    Firmly stuck at stage1, I see. I had to quote that for posterity, I apologise in advance for how silly your post will look to someone coming across this post say in about 10 years time :pac:

No Unkel, that's the stage 2/3. The enbalmer wouldn't be in this forum if he was still at the stage 1. The stage 3 is the angry stage where you need to find many rational excuses for the horse so probably closer to that.

If there were better selection of EVs available to buy at competitive prices it seems may posters already are on the stage 4. Just waiting for the right time to jump.

Context.

As in ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Because public transport isn't going to replace ICE cars, but electric cars could.

In fairness, EV's don't get rid of congestion. They help with air quality, but traffic is still a killer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Take my wife's V70 D5 out and might think different.

I'll counteract that with my mates X5 M50d.
    Stunning car, but why?
    He done it for the commercial implications and tax benefits of a diesel, but the petrol version would be just as good.

It is just as quick as my older V8 X5 4.4 V8 in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

kceire wrote: »
    In fairness, EV's don't get rid of congestion. They help with air quality, but traffic is still a killer.
    Yeah public transport is the way to go in high traffic areas like Dublin. But outside of such places nobody uses public transport unless they don't have a car. Public transport doesn't replace cars for most people even in Dublin, it just replaces them for particular journeys

As in ?

Ok so. You say there are many reasons to drive a diesel that don't start with chape. Tell us. I gave 6 reasons to buy an EV. Two started with chape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Ok so. You say there are many reasons to drive a diesel that don't start with chape. Tell us. I gave 6 reasons to buy an EV. Two started with chape.

I can give you one reason. If anything goes wrong with a diesel car somewhere in Ireland there's a good chance you can find a mechanic to fix or at least diagnose the problem.

If your battery-car breaks down you're going to be bunched because Paddy the mechanic in Kenmare doesn't know anything about them and I think you will find no mechanic outside of the actual company will know how to fix them.

I guess the riposte will be something along the lines of "all mechanics in Ireland will be fully competent to deal with EVs by 2021" just as the road from Dublin to kenmare will be thronged with easy-to use charging points,as common as petrol stations are now.

Utter cobblers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

No it's not. There are many reasons why people drive diesels. Tax is potentially one of them. Gets really tiring though when the anti diesel sheep on boards keep throwing this crap out complete with using the word "chape" for extra giggles - not.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why do you need a charging station for an 80 minute commute??? That doesn't make any sense to me to be honest. Sounds like you are just making excuses. For what I don't know...

Why would they change for such a commute when they already have a car? They'd get some running out of it at such a short distance by the time they'd splash on something electric. Plus, if they wanted to go somewhere that wasn't a stone's throw at the weekend then they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

The main reason over the years why I mainly drove diesel cars was the low down torque, making for very relaxed day to day driving, especially when my boy racer days had gone. No need to change down when going up hill and of course the economy and long range were a bonus.

My latest car is a petrol Honda Civic with 182HP which offers good performance and economy however my next car, hopefully soon, will be electric.

I know they do not suit everyone, but for me it's a natural evolution.

if they wanted to go somewhere that wasn't a stone's throw at the weekend then they could.

I drove my LEAF to Kajaani, Finland last summer. Does that count?

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »

It does not. Not until you can recharge it to a 600km range in 5 minutes.

That's mainly why I'm a long way off getting one anyway. I know I'll end up with one some day but now is not the time, with prohibitive pricing, early gen range and charging technology, and a horrendous charging network (if you are willing to put up with the price and charging time).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why would they change for such a commute when they already have a car? They'd get some running out of it at such a short distance by the time they'd splash on something electric. Plus, if they wanted to go somewhere that wasn't a stone's throw at the weekend then they could.

The presupposition is that the OP was going changing their car anyway and would be spending similar money on the car regardless of whether it was EV or petrol/diesel.

It does not. Not until you can recharge it to a 600km range in 5 minutes.

Ahh, moving goalposts. Do you typically drive 600 km then have 5 minute break and the continue on without for example a lunch or something?

How long did it take?

Longer that the average it did previous times when we drove a diesel van :-)

Ahh, moving goalposts. Do you typically drive 600 km then have 5 minute break and the continue on without for example a lunch or something?

I want to be able to if I want to. That might not matter for other people but it does for me.

And I'd rarely stop for lunch in any of the motorway creches on the weekends, rather keep going.

I can give you one reason. If anything goes wrong with a diesel car somewhere in Ireland there's a good chance you can find a mechanic to fix or at least diagnose the problem.

Same goes for petrol, so why buy a diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I want to be able to if I want to. That might not matter for other people but it does for me.

And I'd rarely stop for lunch in any of the motorway creches on the weekends, rather keep going.

2030+ for you then. Unless taxes change your mind in the meantime.

How long did it take?

KCross wrote: »
    2030+ for you then. Unless taxes change your mind in the meantime.

Hopefully they won't. If I'm forced into electric before that then so be it, unless we're all forced onto pushbikes and buses before that.

I'm not against having an electric vehicle once it makes sense for me, and they will sooner rather than later, but for now I can't see any reason to.

• Advertisement

Same goes for petrol, so why buy a diesel?

I was referring more to ANY ICE car..Petrol or diesel,a mechanic within an hours drive anywhere in the country would be able to help you.

Same can't be said if your battery-car breaks down although with their lack of range they're more likely to break down within 20 miles of a city..you know they can't be pushed off the road too? You have to get a low loader to move them.

Advertisement