Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

Yeah, exact same as that. They waited a year to send me this email and want a response by Wednesday!

Yeah, I thought that was a bit much. Nothing for a year and then reply by Wednesday. I’ll give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SmashFaceAndy1

I received the email out the blue, also replied and hav'nt reeived confirmation.

Has anybody who has taken phase 1 tests and advice going forward?

And congrats to everyone who has got this far i know many a people who had been told they did not get through the first online exam back in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Seems crazy that they expect people to be able to appear at Training with a week or two's notice.
    As someone here pointed out, it'll be a good problem to ask but i think it's out of order. A month's notice is standard with most employers now. A lot of people may be leaving employers on bad terms as a result.
    All the more difficult to understand when the recruitment campaign is 16 months old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Seems crazy that they expect people to be able to appear at Training with a week or two's notice.
    As someone here pointed out, it'll be a good problem to ask but i think it's out of order. A month's notice is standard with most employers now. A lot of people may be leaving employers on bad terms as a result.
    All the more difficult to understand when the recruitment campaign is 16 months old!

CIE have a unique way of doing things!

The whole campaign has been handled terribly. They have an HR Director who has been in IE for 35 years which might explain why its been handled so poorly.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    CIE have a unique way of doing things!

The whole campaign has been handled terribly. They have an HR Director who has been in IE for 35 years which might explain why its been handled so poorly.

Unique to say the least!
    If I'm lucky enough to get through the rest of the process (long way to go yet!), I'd be leaving my employer (who had treated me very well for a number of years) in a right pickle by giving half the notice I'm contracted to!

• Advertisement

TheShepard wrote: »
    Great, good bit to learn in it but if you keep ticking over its not too bad. Doing a bit of driving now too.

Personally love it so far!

Great to hear you're loving it so far. Hopefully the torturous recruitment process will be more than worthwhile for you in the long run.

What are the Training hours? Is it mon to fri, 9 to 5?
    I presume you'll go on shift when the classroom phase is finished and the mentoring starts?

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Glad you got a date!

Interview(s) went OK. Its hard to tell as they give nothing away although I did get a "Oh Wow" when one of them spotted something on my CV which was a positive sign!

They explained that for Dublin anyway, the drivers jobs are for DART or the DMUs only not locomotives.

I am still waiting for the OK from the CIE doctor so I could still be out the running regardless of how I did in the interview. Hope to hear from them next week.

At any stage do they ask candidates whether they'd prefer Dart or Diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

At any stage do they ask candidates whether they'd prefer Dart or Diesel?

From what I understand they offer you a place on the next course. In Dublin its DART or DMUs. Then you can say yes or no.

If I get an offer I will be taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Easy enough job. Id say there is a good success rate for anyone on here looking for work. It will also give you further insight into the reservation system .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Easy enough job. Id say there is a good success rate for anyone on here looking for work. It will also give you further insight into the reservation system .

I’ve never seen anyone like that on the train before? Must be a new position!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Any final tips for the interview? I am having mine this week and have been prepping but wondering is there anything in particular that might be useful to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 albame

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Any final tips for the interview? I am having mine this week and have been prepping but wondering is there anything in particular that might be useful to me?

For me they were very nice and welcoming. Just relax, and talk through your previous experience making it relevant to the question they asked. They want to know you are the right fit.

I'm still waiting to hear back on my interview a few weeks ago, so if you progress to a medical let me know so I can move on!

Thanks and best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

has anyone an idea of the salary range for the customer service offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

job seeker wrote: »
    I’ve never seen anyone like that on the train before? Must be a new position!?

There are quite a few of them about but they are cunningly disguised to appear as just standard IE employees. Cushy number unless you have to confront scumbags.

patrickc wrote: »
    has anyone an idea of the salary range for the customer service offers?

Not 100% but id say the basic starting will be close to the €700 mark . I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Did anyone ever receive any sort of confirmation email to last weeks email inviting those to phase 1?

Did anyone ever receive any sort of confirmation email to last weeks email inviting those to phase 1?

Coincidentally I’ve just received the confirmation email now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Applied for it myself, use to do alot or work with the rpsi and always wanted to work on the railways so seemed a good starting point, pity the questionnaire they have you do didn't get you to show you're knowledge of the railways and previous experience apart from asking if you work for cie ane a couple of questions on what cie do/own and which servives don't allow alcohol.

Applied for it myself, use to do alot or work with the rpsi and always wanted to work on the railways so seemed a good starting point, pity the questionnaire they have you do didn't get you to show you're knowledge of the railways and previous experience apart from asking if you work for cie ane a couple of questions on what cie do/own and which servives don't allow alcohol.

Applied also in case the train driving goes tits up. Like yourself I have a bit knowledge of railways but was not able to mention it until the interview.

Their recruitment process is done in such a way that it is fair to all who apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Not 100% but id say the basic starting will be close to the €700 mark . I'm open to correction though.

Revenue Protection is around the 700 hundred mark I’d imagine this role might be slightly lower, not sure though

Coincidentally I’ve just received the confirmation email now

Same as that Willie. Fingers crossed we both make it through. Still a few hurdles to jump yet, but a nice surprise that we're back in the race.

I'm assuming they have a set number of classes/candidates to train each year.
    And I'm hoping more than a few will have lost interest or moved onto pastures new since this process began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Their recruitment process is done in such a way that it is frustrating to all who apply.

Fyp

Fyp

True!

You must demonstrate the following attributes. A passion for customer service ( that doesn't last long trust me, :) ). Communication, motivation, problem solving, leading and organising, numerical ability, IT proficiency.

Best of luck

Anyone get a start with revenue

Furryglove wrote: »
    Anyone get a start with revenue

There are a few new ones around.

There are a few new ones around.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Would anyone have any more details about customer service officer role, such as pay, working hours etc thanks

• Advertisement

Would anyone have any more details about customer service officer role, such as pay, working hours etc thanks

The revenue role is a 48 hr week I’d imagine its something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

What was the starting salary for drivers again? Any overtime?

Just received an email saying i passed the first stage and was sent a css and csvt to complete, anyone else on here make it though yet?

Just received an email saying i passed the first stage and was sent a css and csvt to complete, anyone else on here make it though yet?

Myself. Tests are very similar to the train driving ones.

Gus Ivey wrote: »

How did it go?

Mojo Risin wrote: »
    Hey all, I had my interview for driver position yesterday. Hard to tell how it went,

Have you heard anything back from them yet? I’m still waiting :-/

• Advertisement

albame wrote: »
    Have you heard anything back from them yet? I’m still waiting :-/

Dont think anyone has. I had the interview 5 weeks ago and have heard nothing.

Wondering if they will still go ahead with the people doing phase 1 tests next week with the coronavirus :/

Wondering if they will still go ahead with the people doing phase 1 tests next week with the coronavirus :/

You are pretty well spread out in the test centre so I would think they would go ahead.

Just out of curiosity, Has anyone else that applied for the customer services job got an email asking to confirm depot? Got one 5 mins ago. (I have applied for both jobs!!)

Well that's me out the running for the train driving. Just got the rejection email there. Best of luck to anyone still in the running!

Well that's me out the running for the train driving. Just got the rejection email there. Best of luck to anyone still in the running!

Hard luck mate, did you not apply for revenue protection?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear

Very sorry to hear that. To get as far as the interview is really good, considering 26k or so others never it made it that far! Bitter sweet.

Furryglove wrote: »
    Hard luck mate, did you not apply for revenue protection?

I applied for the driving yonks ago and the customer service job last week.

Looking less likely by the hour

I did. Plan B! Wait. We will get a yes or no soon.

Any rules on applying for multiple roles? Looking through the T&C and am starting to wonder if my application for the CSR killed my driving chances.

Any rules on applying for multiple roles? Looking through the T&C and am starting to wonder if my application for the CSR killed my driving chances.

You can apply for as many as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭91wx763

Met a guy in Cork today who got through to the two tests (I didn't) but the second part was timed for 14 minutes I think, the clock ran out in 12 before they were finished. He seemed a bit peeved as he said the scenarios he got questions on were a right tangle.

91wx763 wrote: »
    Met a guy in Cork today who got through to the two tests (I didn't) but the second part was timed for 14 minutes I think, the clock ran out in 12 before they were finished. He seemed a bit peeved as he said the scenarios he got questions on were a right tangle.

Is that the self assesment one. If so,its not supposed to be timed . Not when its done in person anyway. Some contradict others so you score less. It gets brought up at the interview anyway so i wouldnt worry. My only concern is that an outside company is doing the recruiting

Happened to myself too i could gave sworn it cut off two minuites early as i had two questions to go and i got onto the last page with 3 or so minuites left.

Hope It doesn't put me out of the running as i everything i answered was definitely correct and id love to get a chance to go to the interview and make my case.

The second test was 12 mins. If you did not answer them all it doesn't matter. There was one in the train driving that had 32 questions. If anyone could answer all 32 they should be applying to NASA as it was impossible to do in the time given.

• Advertisement
Advertisement