Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I suspect they have a format for alerting candidates. Id imagine chronological order, either based on last appli3d working backwards, or first applied working forward.

Also possible that they are contacting people based on alphabetical order

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

The one evening I’m getting spammed with marketing emails and getting exited everytime my phone pings to tell me lol. Hopefully tomorrow they will come email more of us

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Out of curiosity, of you 3 guys who got the invite to the training centre in Inchicofe next week, how long ago did you guys finish stage 2?

I did the first test on the 3rd of Jan, and I split the second round of tests between Sunday and Monday just gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well done folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭CiboC

CiboC wrote: »
    I did the first test on Monday, and the other two on Tuesday morning so pretty close to the deadline!

Sorry, that's not very clear. I applied on 2nd January, I meant the 3 tests in the second round in the post above...

It’s surprising they have come back to people already, I would have thought it would have been atleast couple of weeks before anyone heard anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It’s surprising they have come back to people already, I would have thought it would have been atleast couple of weeks before anyone heard anything.

I agree. There is however no real reason to delay it for weeks. A computer will have all these recorded and all nice an pretty within seconds. Import them into an email system and then send them out. Literally 5 mins work for a computer system.

I think where it gets delayed is where some manual task that a human has to do, for example, ESB took a while to get back to me. I think they took the top results and then compared them to the application and the 'why you want this job' piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Well done guys and gals. I'd presume they're contacting the highest scorers first. Well done to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Clever8619 wrote: »
    Well done guys and gals. I'd presume they're contacting the highest scorers first. Well done to you all.

Yes well done and I’d agree it’s prob the best scores

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Congratulations, to say im jealous is an understatement 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

I got an e-mail for invitation to the test centre, I too read it and thought it was a rejection lol

Well done to those who got it and to those still waiting, hopefully you get good news. With so many applicants I would say it will take few weeks to get back to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

The 'tests' are not scored as numbers, they will offer an overall profile of certain candidates exhibiting certain characteristics and knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Congrats guys, very jealous also. Beginning to fear the worst now!

Out of interest, did they indicate how long you would be needed in the training centre next week? It would be a problem i'd love to have but i'd need to take time off my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Congrats guys, very jealous also. Beginning to fear the worst now!

Out of interest, did they indicate how long you would be needed in the training centre next week? It would be a problem i'd love to have but i'd need to take time off my current job.

Approx 2 hours for the test

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Is the test centre just exams or is there a structured interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

I'm jealous too but well done guys best of luck in the next stage

Starting to doubt myself, when you all completed the tests, did yee have to press submit or anything? When I done each test it move down to a section that said something like already completed. When I finished all 3 tests they were in that section so I logged out, doubting myself now thinking if there was some sort of submit button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Starting to doubt myself, when you all completed the tests, did yee have to press submit or anything? When I done each test it move down to a section that said something like already completed. When I finished all 3 tests they were in that section so I logged out, doubting myself now thinking if there was some sort of submit button.

No that’s perfect, just play the waiting game now. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Congratulations to all those with an email, I would think you guys are the cream of our crop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Just reading the email from the Assessment Team sent after the Stage 1 test...

'it may take a number of weeks for us to get back to you. We ask that you await a response from OPC and to be patient with us'.

So hopefully there's still hope. I'm starting to think that maybe they plan on hiring a set number for each location in each of the upcoming four years, and candidates who've done well so far are called to the next stage next week. In this scenario, we might not hear anything further until next week's assessments have been completed and analysed. Then again, I'm purely guessing. Will need to distract myself somehow if I'm to stay sane during the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

I too received an email and read it as a rejection, thought it was just me lol. Just a quick question to those that also got the email, I replied as instructed but did not receive a confirmation that they have received the reply email, are any of you ringing tomorrow to ensure your reply was received? or am I overthinking it.

I’m thinking the writing is on the wall for those of us who haven’t received the good news yet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

Got invited to the next stage of testing. I applied in the 4th January and completed stage 2 on 13th.

This is completely out of left field for me. I studied law for several years and was in the process of doing the FE1 exams but decided to give up as I never truly wanted to be a solicitor.

My boyfriend phoned me after hearing about this campaign on the radio and he said he thought of me straight away (I’m very comfortable with my own company). Since then I’ve fallen in love with the idea of being a train driver (I’m also a realist and I know it’s a long process). Whatever happens however, the mere process of applying has made me broaden my horizons.

Good luck to you all and thanks to many of you for the very helpful responses.

Daz_ wrote: »
    I’m thinking the writing is on the wall for those of us who haven’t received the good news yet ..

Normally I’d think the same but its very early days. With so many applicants I’m not giving up hope yet. The fact the successful few so far got an email after 6pm, maybe they started informing people late and will carry on informing more tomorrow

Normally I’d think the same but its very early days. With so many applicants I’m not giving up hope yet. The fact the successful few so far got an email after 6pm, maybe they started informing people late and will carry on informing more tomorrow

That’s only a few that are on this site/thread . Think about how many more are out there

• Advertisement

Daz_ wrote: »
    That’s only a few that are on this site/thread . Think about how many more are out there

True, but anyone who was emailed it still seems to have been after 6pm so it’s possible more will come tomorrow. Don’t forget to check your junk folders incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I got an invite!!

To the people who have already replied and confirmed they will be attending the test, did you just reply to the invite email or did you compose a new mail and send that?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I got an invite!!

To the people who have already replied and confirmed they will be attending the test, did you just reply to the invite email or did you compose a new mail and send that?

I just clicked reply on the email because it is the same address and I figured they'd have my details that way then.

Ais123 wrote:
    I just clicked reply on the email because it is the same address and I figured they'd have my details that way then.

And did you just state the time and date you want or did you thank them for the invite etc....

I know it sounds silly but I don't want to say/do the wrong thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭CiboC

I got an invite!!

I just replied, it's from the same email address as they say to respond to.

As for those who have not heard yet, we could all turn out to be axe murderers on their tests next week so I'd say there is still plenty of hope!

I'm sure they can only cater for a relatively small number of those that applied on each session and there was only a choice of 3 sessions on Thursday and 3 on Friday!

• Advertisement

CiboC wrote: »
    I just replied, it's from the same email address as they say to respond to.

As for those who have not heard yet, we could all turn out to be axe murderers on their tests next week so I'd say there is still plenty of hope!

I'm sure they can only cater for a relatively small number of those that applied on each session and there was only a choice of 3 sessions on Thursday and 3 on Friday!

Exactly. They did say it would run over the course of the next few weeks. So they could be holding more sessions each week for several weeks. It’s not over yet lads

And did you just state the time and date you want or did you thank them for the invite etc....

I know it sounds silly but I don't want to say/do the wrong thing!!!

I thanked them for their email and then I gave two slots I was available for in case one was gone and then they'd have to reply and tell me and maybe then my second choice would be gone too because their first come first served line made me be cautious and put two times down.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

veronymus wrote: »
    Got invited to the next stage of testing. I applied in the 4th January and completed stage 2 on 13th.

This is completely out of left field for me. I studied law for several years and was in the process of doing the FE1 exams but decided to give up as I never truly wanted to be a solicitor.

My boyfriend phoned me after hearing about this campaign on the radio and he said he thought of me straight away (I’m very comfortable with my own company). Since then I’ve fallen in love with the idea of being a train driver (I’m also a realist and I know it’s a long process). Whatever happens however, the mere process of applying has made me broaden my horizons.

Good luck to you all and thanks to many of you for the very helpful responses.

May I ask what made you fall in love with the idea of being a train driver?

I’m not being negative of facetious I’m genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jdelaney93

I never got an email 🙠fingers crossed I might get one tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Out of curiosity, of you 3 guys who got the invite to the training centre in Inchicofe next week, how long ago did you guys finish stage 2?

I did my online tests on Sunday evening, got an email about 18:00 today, Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

May I ask what made you fall in love with the idea of being a train driver?

I’m not being negative of facetious I’m genuinely interested.

You’re more than welcome to ask.

I guess the more I consider the role, what it involves, the kind of environment etc., the more I believe it would suit me personally. I’m a rules orientated person, a puzzler, problem solver and I’m not scared of change at all. And to add to that, even though I’m not a loner, I’m very happy to work alone.

Prior to this, I guess I had pigeon-holed myself in relation to work. I worked for a long time in admin before my studies and to be honest I was deeply unhappy in an office environment. I guess however that my thinking had become lazy, instead of asking what I could change, I just kept on doing the ‘same old, same old’. Which is why I say that whatever happens, just going through the process has jolted me out of my slumber. If not a train driver, who knows! I also love painting and decorating 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I guess the more I consider the role, what it involves, the kind of environment etc., the more I believe it would suit me personally. I’m a rules orientated person, a puzzler, problem solver and I’m not scared of change at all. And to add to that, even though I’m not a loner, I’m very happy to work alone.

Prior to this, I guess I had pigeon-holed myself in relation to work. I worked for a long time in admin before my studies and to be honest I was deeply unhappy in an office environment. I guess however that my thinking had become lazy, instead of asking what I could change, I just kept on doing the ‘same old, same old’. Which is why I say that whatever happens, just going through the process has jolted me out of my slumber. If not a train driver, who knows! I also love painting and decorating 😂

Thanks for that

I was looking for an answer to "why do you want to be a train driver ?"

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

https://youtu.be/v-XROuDmDL4

Off topic, but seeing as we are waiting around, some Cool video’s, POV of a trainer driver. He has some other cool videos on his channel.

Jesus I think I'd be bored off me tits doing that every dsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just heard from someone there that failed stage 2 of the process, they got an email the other day telling them they failed.

So hope is not lost for anyone that hasn't heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JellyMelly

Did everybody get an email upon completion of the stage 2 tests to confirm having done them?

• Advertisement

JellyMelly wrote: »
    Did everybody get an email upon completion of the stage 2 tests to confirm having done them?

No, nothing. There is no confirmation email after you do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JellyMelly

No, nothing. There is no confirmation email after you do them.

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I have put gmaul instead of gmail in as my email address before by accident and was afraid I had done it again but I don’t remember ever resubmitting my email address again it was just a case of logging into the opc test site wasn’t it?

Anyone get a confirmation email in regards to next weeks test time they asked for?

JellyMelly wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I have put gmaul instead of gmail in as my email address before by accident and was afraid I had done it again but I don’t remember ever resubmitting my email address again it was just a case of logging into the opc test site wasn’t it?

Yeah just logging in to do the tests

Many thanks for your answer.
    I’m curious to understand what you believe the role involves apart from the obvious, what working environment your expecting.

You sound like a real proactive and positive person. As a train driver myself I am very interested to find out what people like yourself far removed from the railway think the job entails apart from the obvious

As a train driver myself

Sorry for asking such a personal question, but does Ianrod Eireann pay weekly or monthly to their staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

IanVW wrote: »
    Did you all choose Dublin as depot of choice?

I did even though reading here mad me think I should try for another location, as Im not likely to be moving due to family I decided against.
    I think the option of preference after your initial choice might have been good, I thought there might be some flexibility or even an interest in by Iarnrod Eireann to have drivers operate from different locations?

keredern wrote: »
    I started the two timed tests at 11pm on the Tuesday, 60 minutes before the deadline!!! :eek:

I got the 'congratulations' email too! (at 18.13)

I did mine on the deadline when I got back from work on 15th, when I tried to log back in, it said I had no pending tests or something to that effect, I just wanted to confirm the tests had been submitted, seems they were. No answer yet.

Prior to this, I guess I had pigeon-holed myself in relation to work. I worked for a long time in admin before my studies and to be honest I was deeply unhappy in an office environment. I guess however that my thinking had become lazy, instead of asking what I could change, I just kept on doing the ‘same old, same old’. Which is why I say that whatever happens, just going through the process has jolted me out of my slumber. If not a train driver, who knows! I also love painting and decorating ��

I think this is a good answer, I wouldnt say Ive fallen in love with the idea of it, but it interests me greatly, Im from a technical background and Ive always liked technical stuff and transportation, this has involved a fair amount of paperwork or computerised record keeping. I think problem solving can come from many backgrounds. Im not convinced me just being interested and liking trains, planes and automobiles and boats is of any help to me. At the least I think the tests have been an interesting exercise (for practice).

Many thanks for your answer.
    I’m curious to understand what you believe the role involves apart from the obvious, what working environment your expecting.

You sound like a real proactive and positive person. As a train driver myself I am very interested to find out what people like yourself far removed from the railway think the job entails apart from the obvious

That would be interesting stuff to know, what it entails, I can imagine it might be a certain amount, maybe even a lot of routine, probably lots of paper filling/filing, safety meetings, technical checks, learning and knowing about the day to day operational aspects of running trains, maybe even some legislation? Is any of that computerised? In technical stuff, I think there is an advantage to filling in in hard copies in a lot of cases.

Id think that routine might appeal to people, if they come from a private business background where you might be on your toes and not know whats coming down the road or from a general office routine.
    I can imagine there is some amount of dealing with bureaucracy in terms of dealing with established attitudes that will have to be complied with, so Id hazard a guess there are a few contradictions between what management wants done/says, do themselves and what ends up getting done??
    I wouldnt think its all sweetness and nice, but I think it sounds interesting, is there much of social end of things? I knew few people in Dublin bus years ago, and there seemed to be a good deal of sports and social and characters.
    So, what is involved? out of curiosity?

mario84s wrote: »
    Sorry for asking such a personal question, but does Ianrod Eireann pay weekly or monthly to their staff?

I get paid weekly but the company would like monthly so I’d say a good chance any new entrants to the company will be monthly pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spaid87

Has anybody got an email to say the will not progress any further? Just wondering if I'm still in with a chance? Thanks

• Advertisement

I get paid weekly but the company would like monthly

thanks for answering

Advertisement