Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercedes

• 16-03-2019 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of changing a dacia duster 132 , for a Mercedes. I'm approaching retirement and always promised myself a bit of comfort when the time came.
    Not in a panic , but I suppose ill get 6 k and put 13 or 14 with it , was in one recently tho an 03 and automatic , it was very comfortable and nicely laid out inside , I just wondered what type would be best in that price bracket.
    No problem with automatic but like to keep tax low , and are they expensive , maintenance wise?
    Thks
    Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Yes you can buy the Mercedes but do not buy that without serious scanning by the star diagnostics. You will be surpised how much that technology can see. The regular obd2 scanners are toys compared by star diagnostics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

w211 wrote: »
    Yes you can buy the Mercedes but do not buy that without serious scanning by the star diagnostics. You will be surpised how much that technology can see. The regular obd2 scanners are toys compared by star diagnostics.

Not sure what that means !!! But it's exactly the type Im ooking for , cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

This is specific dealer level scanner what can communicate by all mercedes microcontrollers. It can save for you very expensive repair bills. If you are on my neighborhood, I can offer the free readings.

This is specific dealer level scanner what can communicate by all mercedes microcontrollers. It can save for you very expensive repair bills. If you are on my neighborhood, I can offer the free readings.

Extremely interesting, thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How about BMW? You might get a bit more for your money.
    I would never go back in years. Particularly approaching retirement and reduced income. You want to have a newish car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

just as a side note, how did you find the duster? thinking of getting one myself.
    sorry if im hijacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

oceanman wrote: »
    just as a side note, how did you find the duster? thinking of getting one myself.
    sorry if im hijacking.

Have you drove one? I'd suggest doing that first and foremost. It's not a nice drive at all imho and I'm not driving a rolls royce either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I am thinking of changing a dacia duster 132 , for a Mercedes. I'm approaching retirement and always promised myself a bit of comfort when the time came.
    Not in a panic , but I suppose ill get 6 k and put 13 or 14 with it , was in one recently tho an 03 and automatic , it was very comfortable and nicely laid out inside , I just wondered what type would be best in that price bracket.
    No problem with automatic but like to keep tax low , and are they expensive , maintenance wise?
    Thks
    Paddy

If you are looking to get into a second hand Merc to keep for a while you will need to get a good independent garage that is familiar with them.
    Would you consider keeping the Dacia as a daily and getting an older Merc on vintage tax/insurance as a hobby/weekend car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

Miike wrote: »
    Have you drove one? I'd suggest doing that first and foremost. It's not a nice drive at all imho and I'm not driving a rolls royce either :(
    no, haven't drove as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

sorry if im hijacking.
    You are hijacking, please start your own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭freddieot

The problem that Mercedes, Audi and BMW face these days is that the herd is catching up - and passing them out. I'd say we are about the same vintage and when I was younger, if you wanted comfort, reliability and the nice extras like 'electric windows, heated s/wheel etc. you needed to spend some bucks and get a premium brand.

Now they are no more reliable (in fact, less reliable) and often far less specified and comfortable for comparable money. With UK import running the way they are at present, residuals are also no better.

Consider this before you spend you hard earned cash. I'm about 3-4 years away from retirement myself. Consider the luxury \ power \ reliability etc. that you can get from Skoda, VW, Kia etc. for the same money as an older, less powerful,, less well specced Merc or BMW.

However, if you just want to get it out of your system ,I fully understand that as I've done it myself, so the very best of luck with whatever you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Go for e class in my opinion. Motor tax on most of them is the morning rates, ie 390 and below ...

Gael23 wrote: »
    How about BMW? You might get a bit more for your money.
    I would never go back in years. Particularly approaching retirement and reduced income. You want to have a newish car.

Thank You , any idea what type id be aiming for in that money area thks

sorry if im hijacking.

brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just parked beside up a 171 c class. Looks like a noddy toy car. Get an e class at least. You want proper comfort get an s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

The e class is the best looking car in their range imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Bought a 2012 e250 in June 2017 from the uk .
    Saw one in Limerick ... Exact same model .
    Limerick dealer was looking for €25000.
    Was able to import from the uk for a total price of €18000.
    That included purchase price / Vrt ( €4000) / €500 for company to import it.
    It's the first Mercedes I've owned.
    It drives the same today as when I got it .
    I do 50 to 60000 km a year in it for work .
    A fabulous car !!!!

Bought a 2012 e250 in June 2017 from the uk .
    Saw one in Limerick ... Exact same model .
    Limerick dealer was looking for €25000.
    Was able to import from the uk for a total price of €18000.
    That included purchase price / Vrt ( €4000) / €500 for company to import it.
    It's the first Mercedes I've owned.
    It drives the same today as when I got it .
    I do 50 to 60000 km a year in it for work .
    A fabulous car !!!!

oh wow sounds ideal ,indeed , would you recommend the buyer and could you tell me who they are , a call might be no harm.thks Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Just had a quick check on auto trader UK and saw a 2016 E220 with 60000 miles,looks like a very good spec for 13995 pounds. The vrt for this particular car is just over 4,000 euros using the revenue.ie calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Very apt username for this thread.

W211 owner here. Used to change my car every 18months or so. Bought a year old car back in 2010.still have it..... Says it'll really :) go for it OP, you won't regret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You want a peaceful retirement don't you? Forget about BMW, they will drain your pension fund.

A facelift e-class from 2013 on is a very nice thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

freddieot wrote: »
    The problem that Mercedes, Audi and BMW face these days is that the herd is catching up - and passing them out. I'd say we are about the same vintage and when I was younger, if you wanted comfort, reliability and the nice extras like 'electric windows, heated s/wheel etc. you needed to spend some bucks and get a premium brand.

Now they are no more reliable (in fact, less reliable) and often far less specified and comfortable for comparable money. With UK import running the way they are at present, residuals are also no better.

Consider this before you spend you hard earned cash. I'm about 3-4 years away from retirement myself. Consider the luxury \ power \ reliability etc. that you can get from Skoda, VW, Kia etc. for the same money as an older, less powerful,, less well specced Merc or BMW.

However, if you just want to get it out of your system ,I fully understand that as I've done it myself, so the very best of luck with whatever you buy.

I have to say i disagree with the above. I own a bmw and have driven audi also and they are more enjoyable to drive around in. I cant really tell the difference from a pure driving point of view but just sitting into it and moving around vs the other cars. There is no comparison. If price wasnt an issue, would you really pick skida,vw or kia. I cant speak for mercs but the info-tainment system is much better compared to what i have experienced in other cars. The car feels more luxurious compared to those brands. I have heard they are less reliable and they are much more expensive to repair however you only live once and money is there to be enjoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Fol20 wrote: »
    I own a bmw and have driven audi also and they are more enjoyable to drive around in. I cant really tell the difference from a pure driving point of view but just sitting into it and moving around vs the other cars. There is no comparison. If price wasnt an issue, would you really pick skida,vw or kia.

Just moved from a 2014 F10 5 series to a 2015 Superb 1.4Tsi ACT. The Skoda is not as luxurious inside for sure, but I prefer it in every other way to the BMW. More spacious, refined (petrol V diesel), more comfortable, better ride, better infotainment, cheaper to run, etc. The BMW also needed over €4000 worth of warranty work, this on a 4 year old car.

I'm a lifelong BMW fan but the F10 in N47 form must be one of the most over hyped cars ever. It was real let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Just moved from a 2014 F10 5 series to a 2015 Superb 1.4Tsi ACT. The Skoda is not as luxurious inside for sure, but I prefer it in every other way to the BMW. More spacious, refined (petrol V diesel), more comfortable, better ride, better infotainment, cheaper to run, etc. The BMW also needed over €4000 worth of warranty work, this on a 4 year old car.

I'm a lifelong BMW fan but the F10 in N47 form must be one of the most over hyped cars ever. It was real let down.

I have driven the newer f30 and f36 so not sure about the f10's as im not looking for larger cars. I think the info-tainment for audi and bmw are best in business. In term of space ,it depends what your looking for. I like my current car. I wouldnt call it spacious by any means but thats not what im look for in my current model. Repair costs will be at least 2-3+ more than other cars. Have your eyes wide open when buying the car so there are no surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seve OB wrote: »
    Very apt username for this thread.

W211 owner here. Used to change my car every 18months or so. Bought a year old cat back in 2010.still have it..... Says it'll really :) go for it OP, you won't regret

What model of Jag did you buy? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A quick online search suggests you could get a 2015 or at a push a 2016 3 series. And for similar monyt back a year or two to 2014 or stretching it to 2015.

oh wow sounds ideal ,indeed , would you recommend the buyer and could you tell me who they are , a call might be no harm.thks Paddy

Hi paddy , sorry for delay getting back to you .
    Walmersley trade sales in bury in Manchester was name of garage .
    Adam was the salesman I was dealing with .
    I'm a TAXIDRIVER in galway .
    Have the car just about 2 years .
    Have put over 100, 000 km in 2 years .
    Just tyres / service parts .
    Car drives exactly the same today as when I first got it .
    Won't be buying anything other than Mercedes from now on .
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yes, a 518d would be a let down for most car fans lets be honest. Its the bottom of the range in the 5 series. You bought a lemon and you've done nothing but slated BMW brand over it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wailin wrote: »
    Yes, a 518d would be a let down for most car fans lets be honest. Its the bottom of the range in the 5 series. You bought a lemon and you've done nothing but slated BMW brand over it since.

He's right though, isn't he? 4 cylinder diesel engines are dire, even the least unrefined ones (as that N47 from BMW)

I honestly have no idea why they are so popular in Ireland (apart from the chape tax). And I'm not even going to mention timing chains and EGR fires.

I'm a long time BMW fan myself, but I'll easily admit I'd prefer to own a Superb 1.4tsi petrol...

And the 1.6 litre 4 cylinder diesel in the VAG range is more refined?

90% of BMW, Audi and Mercs are 4 cylinder diesel engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eh no. I just called the N47 one of the most refined 4 cylinder diesels.

Still less refined than most of the unrefined 4 cylinder petrols out there though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I am thinking of getting a 2012 Mercedes e class from the UK, rang up about one today and half thinking of going over and getting it.

It’s working out around €10k all in incl vrt. 81k miles on it elegance spec. Anything to look out for on this model, or known faults?

Price wise from researching here looks to be cheaper to buy over in the uk.

I was initiallly looking at going for the new model in a 2017 one but have just bought a house and money all tied up in that so €10k budget is max.

Thanks

Hi bri007... Has it got full Mercedes service history ??
    I got mine 2 years ago and it had .
    Previous owner had everything done regarding services on time .
    You can't beat putting in the correct oil / genuine parts etc .
    Car drives perfect over 100, 000 km later .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭pale rider

Hi bri007... Has it got full Mercedes service history ??
    I got mine 2 years ago and it had .
    Previous owner had everything done regarding services on time .
    You can't beat putting in the correct oil / genuine parts etc .
    Car drives perfect over 100, 000 km later .

I have a 2010 e250 six years, just 135000kms, everything works, looks as good now as the day I bought it, I should change it but it's just too damn efficient, change oil and filters every 10000 Kms, really important.

Have a friend in your game drives an 11 e220, bought it at 45kms and as of last week it crossed 450kms, did the chain at 300kms, nothing spent apart from service items.

Agree, super car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

103co2
    35k miles!
    just over 20K imported

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/mercedes/c220/MJ15PVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I usually drive a 520d F10 Luxury. But for the last few weeks I have had the opportunity to drive some 2019 cars...including the BMW 520d M Sport (G30) and the Mercedes E220d AMG Premium Line.

Over all the BMW is a nicer drive and seems well planted to the road compared to the Mercedes. However I would choose the Mercedes if I was spending that kind of money. Feels effortless to drive, has more presence on the road. Premium line spec has the intelligent LED lighting, LCD dash and an massive infotainment screen, loads of other extras like surround view parking cameras, dynamic cruise, blind spot detection.

The Mercedes auto is a 9 speed vs the 8 speed in the BMW auto box.

BMW have lost the run of themselves in the segment to be honest with the poverty equipment spec in the G30. Their continual issues with recalls even in the most recent B47 engine affecting the G30 identifys that something has definately gone wrong in Bavaria.

The base spec of the g30 is better specced than the base e class so you're wrong there.

Reliability of the B47 engine has not been called into question yet, the recall was to do with an egr valve outsourced and not manufactured by BMW. Volvo had the same recall on their cars too.

Also, more gears on an auto doesn't mean it's better. That ZF 8 speed in the bmw is one of the best in the business.

If you prefer the merc, then good for you. They are nice machines and I'd prefer them to Audi. But the points you stated to portray mercedes as "better" than BMW are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The base spec of the g30 is better specced than the base e class so you're wrong there.

Reliability of the B47 engine has not been called into question yet, the recall was to do with an egr valve outsourced and not manufactured by BMW. Volvo had the same recall on their cars too.

Also, more gears on an auto doesn't mean it's better. That ZF 8 speed in the bmw is one of the best in the business.

If you prefer the merc, then good for you. They are nice machines and I'd prefer them to Audi. But the points you stated to portray mercedes as "better" than BMW are wrong.

I've had loads of BMWs, mainly 5 series e39, e60 and f10, now have an Audi A6 myself and have driven the uncles e class 2017 and I defo think it's personal preference, couldn't say outright any of them better than the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Its not the ERG valve that's the issue with the more recent BMWs its the ERG cooler. The ERG valve is replaced if the system manifold is totally coked up due to a failed ERG cooler. The part in question is manufactured by a Korean manufacturer and as with many of BMWs parts they outsource their manufacturing.

The ERG cooler design failure is also present in the B47 engine platform common to many of BMW cars from the 3 to the 5. I know the B47 engine is included as my own 5 series (which is a late build car) was part of the extended recall released at start of October here in the UK. The B47 engine is also in the new G30 hence the design flaw is present in even more recent cars.

As for the autoboxes. The BMW 8 speed (ZF) step auto is very good. But for cruising on the motorway (as I have been with both cars) I found the Mercedes to be slightly more refined at speed due to having the extra gear. The only criticism I would have of the Mercedes is the gear selector...it lives where the wiper stalk usually is!

How did you ascertain that I had portrayed the Mercedes as better considering I stated in my initial reply that the new BMW G30 is a better drive than the Mercedes?

For tech and cruising I found the Mercedes is the better car out of the both I have driven as its easier to just relax and just waft along. The BMW is the better driving car as its more responsive on country roads however I have found some of the interior detail lacking and some issues regards the feel of quality which I would not expect for a car costing as much as it does. The 520d M sport is around 58k EUR in Ireland (its about 40k GBP)!

Have you driven either of the most recent models to make a comparison for yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Considering getting a 1-2 year old E Class before the Brexit shutters come down at the end of the year.

I still have my first car that I bought from the North 8 years ago - a 2 year old VW Golf that still has many years of driving left in it, but alas I'm in a different stage of life now and need the extra space.

I note feedback that the E Class mightn't be as 'involved' as it's Audi and BMW rivals, but I'd be doing maybe 7-10k of mostly motorway miles per year and would be very happy in a comfortable armchair.

Grateful for any advice on potential technical issues or general reliability issues a potential buyer should be vigilant of - as reliability would be one of my main priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

What would that cost landed 23k or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

VRT and nox will come in at around the 8-10k mark
    celtic_oz wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

With sterling conversion so about 27k landed i see a 2017 AMG line e class for sale in cork for 27950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sorry if im hijacking.

What’s more important to you? New car, or good car?

Advertisement