Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent element to driving test pilot

• 10-03-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

ADIs received this email today:

Dear ADI,
    The RSA intend to introduce an Independent Driving element to the category B driving test on a pilot basis over the week of 20/5/2019 in the Raheny Test centre.
    The pilot will mirror the Independent drive methodology used in the UK ( with directions given via a Sat Nav device) but will for the purpose of the pilot last approximately 10 minutes. Many videos are available on You Tube which may help those not familiar with the format.
    The assessment of faults will not change or be altered in any way by the inclusion of the Sat Nav device, any driving faults which occur will be graded and recorded as is the case at present.
    The Sat Nav device which will be supplied and set up by the tester is a basic TomTom 52 Start unit, initially for training purposes most Sat Nav devices or smart phones would suffice.
    ADI’s as major stakeholders will be asked for their feedback via a feedback form which will be provided and I would hope for as full an input from yourselves as possible.
    Test candidates will also be asked for feedback via a short feedback form and I would ask that ADI’s encourage their clients to participate in providing feedback which will help to shape any future roll out and implementation of Independent driving.
    Please direct any questions to me via email and I will respond as promptly as possible. I will also be available in the Raheny test centre from 10.00am until around 4.00pm on Friday 15/3/19 if anyone wants to drop in.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think I'd find that very unnerving if I had my test coming up, but I suppose there's over 2 months to prepare.

Did ADI's suspect this would happen soon, as it's part of the UK test?

I can get the point of this, when you hear stories of people blindly following sat-nav instructions and ending on a railway line/in a river!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Posy wrote: »
    I think I'd find that very unnerving if I had my test coming up, but I suppose there's over 2 months to prepare.

Did ADI's suspect this would happen soon, as it's part of the UK test?

I can get the point of this, when you hear stories of people blindly following sat-nav instructions and ending on a railway line/in a river!

I’ve been doing it with my own pupils for months. I find it quite effective tbh. It does help them to think for themselves more.
    I’m not sure how helpful a one test centre pilot will be though.

Advertisement