Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adapter needed to go from water meter to pipe to house

• 11-11-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

So, I learned the hard way a few weeks back, that when Irish Water put water meters into our area two years ago, they didn't bother to point out that in the case of our house, our house wasn't on the main they were metering. It *appeared* it was - the main's on the other side of the road, there's a cut through the road that goes to our property that was asphalted over, and as far as we knew, we were on the main as the newer homes in our area all were.

But, it turns out, we're not. And Irish water simply dug a hole, dropped in the meter, filled it in, and left.

Being a curious person, I did look at the meter from time to time and noticed the numbers weren't rolling up. Odd, I thought, as the water was running fine, so I logged a call to Irish Water last year about it, never heard back. I reasoned that if they were interested enough in billing us, they'd get to the problem with the meter.

Fast forward to a month ago. My neighbor with the newest house in the area next to us, is getting hooked to the main. So, as the local water company team was out there working on her meter, I asked them why our meter wasn't registering the water flow. They dug it up, and discovered we were not on the main. They cut through the road (again), connected to the main on the other side of the road, and ran a pipe for us to the meter. Great. Now it's up to us to connect from the meter, to the house.

So, I got a guy with a digger, and a local plumber out. They ran a pipe, and then discovered that the fitting needed to go from the meter, to the pipe, had broken when they dug up the meter to attach the pipe. Great. And according to the plumber, they could only get the fitting from Irish water. Who, not surprisingly, when I called them, told me they'd get to it "soon." But, as long as I have water (from the preexisting connection, which turns out to be a pipe running along the ground connected to the old water supply system in the area. And, it's leaking somewhat too). I'm fairly certain Irish Water won't be back to me too soon, and I really want to connect to the meter, for one thing the pressure should improve (per what the neighbors tell me.)

So, any ideas what kind of adapter(?)/fitting is needed to run from the meter to my new pipe? I've included a picture of the meter (the blue pipe) and the new pipe. To me it seems like it's some sort of 1/2" adapter or union, but I'm no plumber.

Thanks for suggestions

IMG-20191105-090042.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,806 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A Philmac 1/2 inch connector with the right inserts should do it. The hydrodare/ black pipe is likely to be heavy duty as opposed to standard.
    Explain in the builders suppliers and they should set you straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

What was wrong with the way it was connected before you spent all this money:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »
    A Philmac 1/2 inch connector with the right inserts should do it. The hydrodare/ black pipe is likely to be heavy duty as opposed to standard.
    Explain in the builders suppliers and they should set you straight.

Thanks much. How can I tell if the black pipe is heavy duty? Or, can I ask for inserts for both 'standard' and 'heavy duty' so as to have all bases covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

garv123 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the way it was connected before you spent all this money:confused:

Nothing! We've been in the house 5 years (not the original owners) and, sadly, assumed we were already on the main as the street had a cut through it, and the general knowledge from the neighbors was that all the newer houses (ours: 2004) were all on the main.

It wasn't until the issue with the meter was investigated that we learned we weren't on the main. We want to be on it, we don't like being on the 'old' main as it's leaky, and can freeze/crack/etc. as it in places simply runs along the ground. We've been amazingly lucky so far that none of the work we had done around the yard broke this pipe - but we've broken other water pipes that run through the yard to other properties, fortunately, those were old, abandoned places but we repaired those pipes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,806 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The heavy duty is really thick. see is it thicker than the blue pipe, that is the wall thickness of the pipe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement