Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion advice

Options
  • 10-11-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

So built a Bungalow about 11-12 yrs ago, and planned it in a way that there was plenty of room to do an attic conversion down the road,
    At the time I bought a good spec of insulation to go between the Joists, it was then floored out with 8x4 sheets and left at that.

I’m wondering what way is the best way to insulate the space now for an attic conversion,
    Trying to have it warm in the winter but not like a sauna in the summer.

I had thought of running insulation up the vertical supports which will form the walls, and up and over the enclosed new space with rolls of insulation and then slabbing it..

Next idea was to not bother with rolls of insulation and use only insulated slab and form my enclosed space like that..

However recently talking with a friend and he suggested spray insulating the complete run of the rafters from the ridge out to the wall plate out in the crawl space at each side of my new room space, and then just using normal non insulated slabs to form my enclosed area....

What’s the opinions here???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

You first have to decide where your thermal envelope will be.
    Then how best to insulate it.
    Then how to airtighten it.
    Based on your basic question maybe you could start by searching Google for SR.54 and read chapter 6 on roofing types etc. Other good stuff in there too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

MicktheMan wrote: »
    You first have to decide where your thermal envelope will be.
    Then how best to insulate it.
    Then how to airtighten it.
    Based on your basic question maybe you could start by searching Google for SR.54 and read chapter 6 on roofing types etc. Other good stuff in there too;)

Looking at the info I have a Cold roof, I’m not sure whether creating a warm roof by insulating up the rafters and making my room out of standard plaster board is the way to go or to leave the roof as a cold roof and just incase the room space with insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

4JAKE wrote: »
    ... but not like a sauna in the summer.

Decrement delay is the answer here.
    Atay away from the spray foam option

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement