Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulate stud wall

• 06-11-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I have a room in the attic where the roof part is insulated but there is a stud wall at the far end that for some reason is not insulated. So this wall consists only of plaster board attached to the 100mm stud. How should I insulate this wall? I was thinking of buying 100mm loft insulation and fitting this between the studs. Is this what you would do?

There are also sockets on the wall. They are mounted onto a piece of timber attached between two studs. Something like this:

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/electrician-in-high-vis-and-hard-hat-cutting-wires.jpg

Should the area behind the socket be free from insulation or can the insulation cover this board?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Can you get access to the rear of the studs or will you have to tear off the plasterboard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭BarraOG

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Can you get access to the rear of the studs or will you have to tear off the plasterboard ?

I can get access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

BarraOG wrote: »
    I can get access.

Ok you can get metac from isover thet has better insulating values than the equivalent rock wool. Not sure in relation to back of sockets. Rockwool metac etc meant to be highly resistant to fire. Will let someone else answer that for you though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

BarraOG wrote: »
    I have a room in the attic where the roof part is insulated but there is a stud wall at the far end that for some reason is not insulated. So this wall consists only of plaster board attached to the 100mm stud. How should I insulate this wall? I was thinking of buying 100mm loft insulation and fitting this between the studs. Is this what you would do?

There are also sockets on the wall. They are mounted onto a piece of timber attached between two studs. Something like this:

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/electrician-in-high-vis-and-hard-hat-cutting-wires.jpg

Should the area behind the socket be free from insulation or can the insulation cover this board?

I have a similar query to BarraOG.

Stud walls have the plasterboard on the room side and on the attic side there is aeroboard insulation between the studs. Could the insulation be improved by replacing the aeroboard with something else, or by putting plasterboard over the aerobaoard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Aeroboard is probably the best stuff you can use, provided its fitted tightly.

If you want to improve it, fix some more rigid insulation to the outside of the studs, in a continuous line, as airtight as possible.
    However its only of use if you can join it up properly to the roof and floor insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

whizbang wrote: »
    Aeroboard is probably the best stuff you can use, provided its fitted tightly.

If you want to improve it, fix some more rigid insulation to the outside of the studs, in a continuous line, as airtight as possible.
    However its only of use if you can join it up properly to the roof and floor insulation.

There are far better insulations than aeroboard on the market. Aeroboard is 70s technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    There are far better insulations than aeroboard on the market. Aeroboard is 70s technology
    >
    https://www.kingspan.com/irl/en-ie/product-groups/insulation/insulation-boards/aerobord
    :D
    what a difference an "A"
    :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

AeroBored;)

If the whole lot was fitted so well, that the only loss was through the insulation, then, well, maybe we could get to 0.02 :rolleyes:
    otherwise the difference is so small, it couldn't be measured.

Advertisement