Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job worries

• 03-11-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what I hope to gain from writing this but its another Sunday evening and I have to look forward to my full time job as a cleaner tomorrow. I used to work as a lab analyst but lost this job as I made too many paperwork mistakes that led to me being fired. They were really stupid mistakes and I never would've made them had I not been going through I guess the first stages of paranoid schizophrenia at the time. Now I feel back to normal and feel like such an idiot for losing my job I was lucky to get in the first place due to a poor work history as I never had a part time job in school or college.
    I have had a few interviews since for lab jobs but once they heard I was fired I knew it was game over, so should I just omit that job from new applications even thought it would mean I only have a few months job history on my CV and I'm in my late twenties or leave it in and hope someone will take another chance on me. It's just really depressing at this stage of my life I thought I would be doing better than this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Regarding your CV & Interviews, is it possible to omit that you were fired and say you needed to leave for family reasons.
    Are previous employers allowed to say you were fired at reference stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I'm in a role where I employ a lot of people a year think close to 200 a year roughly. I hope you know the most impressive cv is the one with the firmest lie.I don't think previous employers are telling them you got let go??

Do you feel confident in doing the job again??

If so make you cv good enough to get the job.

Then prove yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wouldn’t go with outright lies, but remember that a CV/interview is about putting your best foot forward to a stranger. Saying “I got fired because of mistakes made during early stage schizophrenia” is a LOT for anyone to take having just met you. Now, having said that, don’t mistake that for it being something to be ashamed of: you were sick. Nobody would bat an eyelid if you had to leave a job due to a back injury or other physical illness, this is the same. But your circumstances raise a lot of questions that you may not get the opportunity to answer in a hiring process, so rather than thinking of it as needing to cover up your past, think of it as putting your best foot forward to show the positives you have instead. Because everyone else you’re going up against is doing the same.

Leave the ‘got fired’ part out, leave the schizophrenia (your personal health matters are nobody’s business). If potential employers ask, say you had to leave as you were going through a difficult time due to family reasons. You don’t need to give any more info and most rational people can empathise with that. You’ve absolutely nothing to lose by framing it this way and, even if it doesn’t work once or twice, it’s a lot more palatable way of framing your struggles for a potential employer.

Also, get angry here, but don’t get bitter. You are a good employee who has a lot to offer someone smart enough to see that, you were obviously doing a lot right to get that job to begin with without the requisite qualifications. It’s bull**** that you’re in this spot and you don’t deserve that, but nobody else is going to save you so you have to do it yourself. Use the frustration of your current situation to motivate you. Hustle until you get where you want to go: a couple days after an interview, send a nice email to the interviewer thanking them for their time and asking if there was any update because you love the sound of the job and would love an opportunity. Show them how hungry you are and try take advantage of every inch of every opportunity you get, that stuff really works and shows employers something. You were sick, we all get sick, but now you’re better. You had a good job you liked before, therefore you can get one again. You’re not someone who’s damaged with a shameful past, you’re a diamond in the rough who’s going to make the person who gives you a shot very proud that they did. Adopt this mindset and don’t give up and I absolutely promise you you’ll wake up one day in a completely different life with these current struggles being nothing more than a footnote.

Advertisement