Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus

Options
  • 18-10-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host (or hosts in this case) who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by MrKingsley and Barney92.

Why are we even doing this?

MrKingsley
    I will have music on as much as is possible. I love putting an album or playlist on before I start cooking, when I am cleaning the house, nodding off to sleep. I also work in bars so I am hoping to come across a few new artists/tracks to be able to put on in work to avoiding hearing the same songs for the umpteenth time.

Barney92
    Music is a relative late addition to my young life, with my interest starting to be piqued around the age of 18. I’ve entered most of these competitions to widen my musical knowledge as it is rather limited, and that is why I’m co-hosting one.

What are we into?

MrKingsley
    Growing up I was (am still am) a massive fan of hip hop and rap. Through college I would have mainly listened to rock and acoustic/folk music. In the last few years I have really gotten into soul and motown and they would be my go to playlists when working. Similar to Barney I have a serious sweet spot for a good pop song. Heavy metal might be the one genre that I would listen t with my finger over the 'skip song' button. Having said that I will give anything a listen.

Some of my favourite artists: Notorious BIG, Wu-Tang, Eminem, Johnny Cash, Tallest Man on Earth, John Martyn, The Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, Charles Bradley, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Kings of Leon (first 3 albums), Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Ben Harper.

Barney92
    My main two genres are pop and Irish folk music. I think the explanation to my musical likes can be found in how I found the guilty pleasure category a few Walruses ago to be quite difficult, as I am quite open about my like for what many describe as guilty pleasures. I am open to other kinds of music, including classical, rock, country, hip hop. I will warn you though that electronic dance, techno and heavy metal are unlikely to do well with me but I am open to new things.

The categories are outlined below. Feel free to include the reason why you've picked what you have.

1. Song that makes you think about food
    In this category we are looking for a song that makes you think about food. It can have a food in the song, or can be one that you’d likely have playing at a barbecue or other food related event.

2. Song to study to / take an exam to
    Some people have songs that help to get them in the zone mentally for preparing for a test / exam and we’re looking for one that you would use to get you ready to study / work.

3. Song from a musical
    We’re both prone to a good musical and would like you to provide us with your favourite song from a musical.

4. Song that reminds you of someone
    Songs can often bring up memories of times and places, but we are looking for songs that remind you of someone (good or bad).

5. Song to change your mood
    Music is one way of turning a frown upside down, and we are looking for your favourite song to get you out of a funk and put a smile back on your face.

P.S. Some ground rules.

1) We will each be marking every entry out of 15 – 10 marks for how much we like it and 5 for how well we think it fits the theme. We will then combine our marks to get a combined preliminary standing, with tiebreakers decided by originality (i.e. whether we have heard the song before on not). A good story about your song and the theme will help you get the 5 points. Following this we will discuss our entries and take each other’s views into account, before deciding on the final rankings.

2) We will each nominate a bogey song for each round which will result in a three place penalty to the final rankings. This will either be a really obvious song or a track that one of us simply cannot stand.

3) Please PM either of us with your entries. We're going to cap it at an even 20 by the way if there are that many takers.

Looking forward to listening to the entries
    giphy.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Definitely entering this.

And I might convince Necrina to actually sign up to boards so we keep our own entries secret :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'll get around to doing this one again.. enjoying the latest one..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’m in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

If i can bring myself to prepare for trodden hopes and dreams, i'll enter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Necrina

Necro wrote: »
    Definitely entering this.

And I might convince Necrina to actually sign up to boards so we keep our own entries secret :)

Count me in!

• Advertisement

Necrina wrote: »
    Count me in!

Oh my God!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Very tempted - if nothing else I'll have fun looking for songs that remind me of food.

I'm in, though I'm not the biggest fan of musicals so that will take some thinking.

Also gonna struggle a bit with "song that reminds me of someone"....definitely the ones with "sad" connotations come to mind first and I'm not sure I wanna submit something that's too personal, that I might be overly sensitive about scoring badly. :o (Also another one that comes to mind was used by someone else in a previous Walrus, albeit in a completely unrelated category!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The musical category is actually ok for me I think. I've been in a couple in my time :)

Surprisingly to myself. I've a couple of musical songs I actually like too. shudders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Barney :: "I dont like electronic music"

Me :: 4 electronic songs submitted and something from a musical!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The food one I will struggle on.

Also a song for studying/taking an exam. In 52 ffs! :D

Also I like metal!

I think I may struggle but look forward to making a show of myself.

adox wrote: »

Also I like metal!

See it as a challenge. try to introduce them and everyone else to something new that they'll love instead of the run of the mill that everyones heard of before :)

Rikand wrote:

:D

Classic Rikand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rikand wrote: »
    Barney :: "I dont like electronic music"

Could have made it an even 5

vofIvl.gif

:D

I understand :) (at 51) but I'm thinking of it as a song that I can listen to while doing something else...like reading, playing video games or having sex (¬_¬)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Also I like metal!

Yeah, just lash something in that gets you focused or that you'd listen to whilst working or doing a task.

And I'm in :D

Didn't bother overthinking it too much as will be evident from my entries

And I'm in too - no overthinking either, I enjoyed picking those tracks!

any closing date yet ?

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    any closing date yet ?

No closing date as yet. So plenty of time to enter. We'll probably leaving closing up until Tusk is closer to finishing their reveal, or if we reach our 20 person limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

How many do ye have to date?

Green&Red wrote: »
    How many do ye have to date?

Three have submitted thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Cheeky little bump for this.

4 entries in so far guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Barney92 wrote: »

Some of my favourite artists: Notorious BIG, Wu-Tang, Eminem, Johnny Cash, Tallest Man on Earth, John Martyn, The Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, Charles Bradley, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Kings of Leon (first 3 albums), Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Ben Harper.

Some great names in that list! I was so close to putting Charles Bradly as my pinger for Tusk's Walrus, he was some performer and Ben Harper is probably my all time favourite folk artist.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Cheeky little bump for this.

4 entries in so far guys

We've received a few over the last few days so getting close to half the spots filled. Still time for people to get their entries in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Finally got around to this...in it before number 20 I hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So you pm the mods answer songs to the 5 questions and they rate them? Is that how this works?

And we all listen to the songs as they announce then in thread?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Basically, yeah.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Finally got around to this...in it before number 20 I hope :D

You are in :)

Advertisement