Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

quickbeam wrote: »
    You're younger than me, but I don't remember anything until Seoul.

I wasn't long out of hospital round that time after a big operation and remember vividly everything that was on as I wasn't allowed to venture off the sofa for a couple of weeks. It and Mexico 86 World Cup are the first major sporting events I remember watching.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

irishejit wrote: »
    I wasn't long out of hospital round that time after a big operation and remember vividly everything that was on as I wasn't allowed to venture off the sofa for a couple of weeks. It and Mexico 86 World Cup are the first major sporting events I remember watching.

Yeah, don't remember anything pre Italia 90 football wise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Michelle Smith 3 gold medals on 96 has to be up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

@Smelly @ The nal - nominations are closed but voting is open, we're onto voting on the 64 moments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm going to go with the Christmas Day game - a lovely piece of humanity in a horrible war - uniting people of different sides like international football should - the epitome of the sporting spirit which is so often missing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Daley Thompson, on the basis that the football match wasn't a real sporting event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Whilst I do appreciate the nomination of the Christmas game and I had been thinking of doing something similar myself, albeit for a different moment, I won't be voting for it. Daley Thompson for me. Athlete at the peek of his powers and only five people have beaten that record since.

Right, I'm going to tie this up, I'll give it another go in December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Fair enough G&R, shame it never built momentum :(

Thanks for trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Gutted GnR. Cheers for giving it a go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's a shame. This could have been a lot of fun imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Necro wrote: »
    That's a shame. This could have been a lot of fun imo

Only just realised this was going on, perhaps still being in the sign up threads doesn't help it's cause.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Only just realised this was going on, perhaps still being in the sign up threads doesn't help it's cause.

Yeah I didn't know it was running tbh as it was in the sign up thread not the other games forum and that WW game had me completely distracted at the start too. Think I submitted the Christmas game as one of my votes so would have voted for that if it was still going here.

iirc G&R said every nomination would make it in so that means in a game where Wimbledon winners were eliminated me starting a the referee's a w@nker chant mid game I was playing remains undefeated. I'm going to consider myself a winner by default, wooo!
    giphy.gif

Might look at resurrecting this tomorrow if theres enough interest?

Maybe a MOD could move it into the reveal sub-forum, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Green&Red wrote: »
    Might look at resurrecting this tomorrow if theres enough interest?

Maybe a MOD could move it into the reveal sub-forum, cheers

I'll definitely throw a few into the ring if its going ahead

I'll definitely throw a few into the ring if its going ahead

Nominations are done and we were part of the way through the voting but got very little traction.

I’ll have a chat to QB and see about either running it with her Christmas movie or holding off until she’s done

Run away GnR if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Now as good a time as any
    Theres good traffic to the forum with qbs thread

• Advertisement

So a quick recap

Sonia O'Sullivan's medal in the sydney olympics beat Nana Novtovna's 1998 Wimbleton triumph
    and
    Goran Ivanisevic's 2001 win beat Beckers 1985 win both at Wimbledon

Next up Daley Thompson and his 1984 gold

Versus the 1914 Christmas day match in WWI

Actual footage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Daley Thompson winning gold

Do I need a reason ?

Cause I was alive when it happened ?

No reasons required

Daley cause it was an actual sporting event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Daley cause it was a sporting moment

1914 Christmas day match as even though it was over 100 years ago, its sticks more in the memory. Forgot that Daley Thompson existed until this was posted

• Advertisement

Daley Thompson as it was real and real stuff is generally better then fake stuff

Daley Thompson....one of my first olympic memories, and can still remember him on all the cereal boxes for what seemed like an eternity afterwards

The 1914 match was real???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Christmas Day football match.

Because every sporting event is looked on more and more favourably and imaginatively as time passes (341,459 attending Munster v New Zealand in 1978 for example) and while it is likely such a game was not sanctioned by UEFA or anything, I can believe that it happened. (I'm ignoring the fact that the only supporting evidence I can find leads to an article from the Telegraph)

Daley Thompson for me as I agree with the above it was an actual sporting moment not just a warm fuzzy memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Kilkennys display Vs Waterford in the 2008 All Ireland Final - poetry in motion.

Roche winning the Giro in 87 - Against his own team and the host country, he grabbed it and won it with only one teammate willing to help him!

Katie Taylor - Olympic Champion … The moment her hand was raised … Unforgettable! An absolute legend...

Shane Long's goal in Lansdowne Vs Germany - Wow ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Daley Thompson, because it was actually sport.

quickbeam wrote: »
    The 1914 match was real???

O i thought it was an add. o wait o right never mind

Daley Thompson as it was real and real stuff is generally better then fake stuff

Yeah, the footage above wasn't from the actual event, the soldiers weren't allowed to take their iPhones into battle in 1914 in case they interfered with the various propaganda machines

greenspurs wrote: »
    Kilkennys display Vs Waterford in the 2008 All Ireland Final - poetry in motion.

Roche winning the Giro in 87 - Against his own team and the host country, he grabbed it and won it with only one teammate willing to help him!

Katie Taylor - Olympic Champion … The moment her hand was raised … Unforgettable! An absolute legend...

Shane Long's goal in Lansdowne Vs Germany - Wow ….

So we did a nominations bit a month back, we're now down to voting for the winner

O i thought it was an add. o wait o right never mind

Never change Mick. Never change :P

Yeah, the footage above wasn't from the actual event, the soldiers weren't allowed to take their iPhones into battle in 1914 in case they interfered with the various propaganda machines

Blonde moment rimmer you stay outta this, i'll have it out with myself :pac:

Im changing to the soldier footy match, i will try read more carefully in future

Daley Thompson great medal performence and NO DRUGS

Daley runs, hurdles and jumps his way into round 2

• Advertisement

Next one is going to be very tight

Ciaran McDonalds wonder point versus the dubs in 2004 after the battle for the hill. One of my favourite days in Croke Park

Versus probably the greatest underdog story of all time

Ciaran Mc gets my vote, great to see him back this week

Leicester's win, no contest.

Should go very far in this comp imo anyways

Gotta be Leicester City, there were even die hard Utd and Pool fans willing them on, except when they were playing Utd and Pool of course

Sorry gnR i gotta go with Leicester

Similar to how my beloved Donegals win over Dublin in 2014 is one of my favourite days as a sports fan, they ultimately lost the final

So Leicester for me, amazing achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

And Solskjaer has won it:cool:

Leicester for me....breaking into the usual top 4/6 hadn't been done in the Premiership since Blackburn Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leicester.

Seems a mismatch in a singular sporting action by an individual compared to a teams efforts throughout the entire seasons.
    If it was Ciaran McDonald versus Rooney strike against Newcastle for example, I'd have gone with Ciaran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

irishejit wrote: »
    Leicester for me....breaking into the usual top 4/6 hadn't been done in the Premiership since Blackburn Rovers

Everton did it unfotunately. Leicester gets my vote, greatest story I've seen in football. Flying high this season also

Advertisement