Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Green&Red wrote:
    Guys sorry for the delay in this, a very pressing game of WW had to go ahead and distracted me

Oops :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So first to 7 votes, I'll try and get through as many as I can in the next hour

Reason to go with vote please

Wimbledon 1998 Jana Novotna v Nathalie Tauziat

V

Sonia O'Sullivan Sydney Olympics

No contest for me here, Sonia finally fulfilling her Olympic dream, probably the second greatest sports person of all time from Ireland

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sonia for me too. I'm too young to remember the Wimbledon above tbh but for me Sonia at the Olympics trumps it anyways. I remember precisely where I was watching it to this day.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sonia, tennis barely registers with me when it comes to sport so I wouldn't know a good tennis match from a bad one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Zaph wrote: »
    Sonia, tennis barely registers with me when it comes to sport so I wouldn't know a good tennis match from a bad one.

You're gonna love my submissions so :P

When it comes to tennis probably the only thing I'd vote for is the final between Nadal and Federer tbh. Fantastic match

Sonia, a magnificent athlete, robbed by the chinese at her pomp, delighted to see her finally get a medal
    Zabo always looked like a clean athlete too

quickbeam wrote: »
    You're gonna love my submissions so :P

Will I just register my vote against them all now to save time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I too am going to go for Sonia. I know she didn't win but I wouldn't have Novotná's win anywhere near one of my top moments in tennis let alone all of sport.

• Advertisement

Will I just register my vote against them all now to save time? :D

You may. I don’t expect any of them to go through to the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sonia for me. Agree with Barney that there would be plenty of wimbledon (let alone tennis moments ahead of Novotna for me). I remember watching the O'Sullivan race in the library in school. That memory will stay with me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Sonia - Absolute no-brainer. It's insulting a reason even needs to be given but one of our finest ever sportspeople finally gaining an Olympic medal can't go out in first round

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Oh, missed this starting...!

Sorry to whoever nominated it but I don't remember anything particularly remarkable about Novotna's win, and I do like the tennis. So Sonia for me too

Oh, missed this starting...!

Sorry to whoever nominated it but I don't remember anything particularly remarkable about Novotna's win, and I do like the tennis. So Sonia for me too

It was special because she'd lost several finals before, and got so close each time and then became emotional when interviewed on court afterwards. Having her finally win was lovely. And she died last year which I thought very sad. It was memorable to me because she was a nice, sweet player who got the win she deserved at last.

Sorry guys, missed that we had hit 7-1

So Sonia is through to round 2

Hopefully the rest don't take as long

Next up is two tennis matches

Boris Becker's first Wimbledon win

V

ivanisevic winning Wimbledon 2001, one of the great underdog stories

Abstaining here.

Neither are particularly memorable to me tbh

Two choices that would beat a lot for me, I was a massive Becker fan as a kid while my brother liked Edberg, loved his style of play

I remember the Ivanisevic final, he was a great champion, he gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Sorry guys just noticed this had commenced as well. Of the two Becker's is the only one I can remember at all so would have to go for it.

• Advertisement

Yay, so at least one of my options will be getting in to the next round after all. I'm going for the Goran win, as more memorable to me.

Also abstaining, didn't see either

Oh it is Ivanisevic for me comfortably. One of my nominations.

3 times a losing finalist. Only got a wild card entry because they were doing a celebration that same year of all the winners and multiple losers in finals.

Final played over two days. Finished on the monday. Lost numerous match points.

I get goosebumps when I see that back.

A more popular winner at that time (other than henman) would have been tough to find.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Oh it is Ivanisevic for me comfortably. One of my nominations.

3 times a losing finalist. Only got a wild card entry because they were doing a celebration that same year of all the winners and multiple losers in finals.

Final played over two days. Finished on the monday. Lost numerous match points.

I get goosebumps when I see that back.

A more popular winner at that time (other than henman) would have been tough to find.

Not the only one to nominate it then? Cool! Yeah. I was happy for Goran, but I was also gutted for Rafter. I'd have been delighted with either of them winning actually, but it was a superb game and I was tenterhooks right to the end.

Im actually welling up watching those last couple of games.

I had nothing against rafter but I loved Goran so much when I started really following tennis in the mid 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Another vote for Goran please. I nominated him too. Was so happy when he won, a cracking underdog tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ivanisevic for me. I remember watching on the Sunday and then following on radio in work the next day. Marathon final. Too young for the other one.

5-1

Anything we can do to get this going

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Green&Red wrote: »
    5-1

Anything we can do to get this going

I vote Ivanisevic

I'd been holding back as I don't remember Becker's win, and I know it was massive, but I remember loving Goran winning (even though the tennis itself was a little one dimensional)

• Advertisement

*Shrugs*

Changing from abstaining to Ivanisevic just to progress this to the next match.

Advertisement