Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TAX RELIEF ON STUDENT FEES

Options
  • 18-05-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Is there a tax threshold one has to pay in order to be reimbursed tax relief.

Iv made a claim for tax relief for each eligible year i both paid my fees and paid PAYE. Yet my p21 is still coming back as balanced.

No where does it mention a threshold ,

Just wondering if any one has any experience with this !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ismat

Are you including the registration fee of around 3k as part of your claim ? This is not allowed so you would only be able to claim for fees paid over and above that. How much are you actually claiming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ronanh87

ismat wrote: »
    Are you including the registration fee of around 3k as part of your claim ? This is not allowed so you would only be able to claim for fees paid over and above that. How much are you actually claiming ?[/quote

I paid 7000 so I'm due the 20% of the remainder.

I'm wondering is there a threshold of tax you need to pay to become eligible for relief ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

In your case it’d be €1400.

You can only claim tax back if you’ve paid it in the first place.

Ronanh87 wrote: »
    Are you including the registration fee of around 3k as part of your claim ? This is not allowed so you would only be able to claim for fees paid over and above that. How much are you actually claiming ?[/quote

I paid 7000 so I'm due the 20% of the remainder.

I'm wondering is there a threshold of tax you need to pay to become eligible for relief ?

Based on that you are due back 7000 -3000 * 20% which would be 800. You would need to have Paid 800 in tax to get this refund. If you only paid say 450 in tax then the claim would be restricted to the 450. Assuming you have paid tax as opposed to usc or prsi then you must be completing the return incorrectly as the p21 will just reflect what Is input

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    In your case it’d be €1400.

You can only claim tax back if you’ve paid it in the first place.

I paid 7000 so taking account the 3000 disregard amount I think I'm due 8.

I paid tax that year , my queries is how much did I need to pay ? Is there a threshold of tax you need to pay to become eligible ?

Based on that you are due back 7000 -3000 * 20% which would be 800. You would need to have Paid 800 in tax to get this refund. If you only paid say 450 in tax then the claim would be restricted to the 450. Assuming you have paid tax as opposed to usc or prsi then you must be completing the return incorrectly as the p21 will just reflect what Is input

I'm sorry but it's not possible to fill the form in wrong online.

It's just a matter of putting the figure in and ticking boxes. It doesn't let you move on until the information is in.

Have you selected a claim for both the paye allowance and the single persons allowance. If you don’t claim these it could be impacting on the refund amount

Have you selected a claim for both the paye allowance and the single persons allowance. If you don’t claim these it could be impacting on the refund amount

Yes both.

What's really puzzling is that Iv just reviewed each year there and in the declarations it shows that I'm after applying for tax relief for fees.

But during the week when I received my p21 there was no mention of me making a claim for tax relief for fees.

If I don't get a satisfactory response il ring them on Monday.

So I received a p21 back for two of the years when my paye tax paid was low but still in the thousands and my final result was balanced .

The year I paid most tax of all hasn't been returned yet so I'm suspecting there must be a threshold you need to meet.

Will know more on Tuesday at the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Apologies for popping my own query in here. It's much the same issue.

I may be paying some of my partners fees in the near future. The fees are 12k and I would be paying 6k. Would I be right in saying that I'd get relief of €600 (6k - 3k disregard amount x 20%)? Does the fact that I'm paying half (and not the full amount)affect this in any way?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hi all, quick question about claiming this tax relief. I'm putting in my sister's claim for her as she got her P60 today. She started a course in September 2018 and paid fees of €7500. Of this amount I think only €7000 qualifies as qualifying fees. There is a disregard amount of €3000 which leaves an amount €4000 left to claim the 20% tax relief on. She only paid €600 odd in tax in 2018 so she will hopefully get this back.

I was filling the P12 Form with the information from her P60. I went into the relief on tuition fees bit and there is asks 'Amount of qualifying tuition fees?'. I was wondering if I put in a figure €7000 here and let Revenue knock off the disregard amount or do I deduct the disregard amount myself and say that qualifying fees are €4000? Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Hi all, quick question about claiming this tax relief. I'm putting in my sister's claim for her as she got her P60 today. She started a course in September 2018 and paid fees of €7500. Of this amount I think only €7000 qualifies as qualifying fees. There is a disregard amount of €3000 which leaves an amount €4000 left to claim the 20% tax relief on. She only paid €600 odd in tax in 2018 so she will hopefully get this back.

I was filling the P12 Form with the information from her P60. I went into the relief on tuition fees bit and there is asks 'Amount of qualifying tuition fees?'. I was wondering if I put in a figure €7000 here and let Revenue knock off the disregard amount or do I deduct the disregard amount myself and say that qualifying fees are €4000? Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.

You enter the full amount

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FinnaldoX7

Ronanh87 wrote: »
    Is there a tax threshold one has to pay in order to be reimbursed tax relief.

Iv made a claim for tax relief for each eligible year i both paid my fees and paid PAYE. Yet my p21 is still coming back as balanced.

No where does it mention a threshold ,

Just wondering if any one has any experience with this !

Was there any update on this? Currently going through the same process. Received my P21 for 2018 but there was no mention of the tuition fees in Panel 6 even though I listed it as tax credit in the Form 12? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Does anyone know if the qualifying fees limit is €7,000 per year or for the entire course (all years combined)?

Advertisement