Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE MELBOURNE CUP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

tomaussie wrote: »
    I hear ya mate. And I agree that the commentary (somebody else mentioned it) was awful. A horse broke down during the race but was it mentioned ????? Was it Fu*k.

Yeah. Watch the National every year (and other national hunt race festivals like cheltenham) and many other international races but I've been watching this race since I was a kid and it's what you know, right ?

Great site guys. Many of my Irish mates have been telling me to come on Boards for 2-3 years but I didn't until this Melbourne Cup. You all seem to pretty much know what you are talking about so I'll keep logging in for the winners that my mates talk about.

And maybe next time I won't even be abused by the racists !!!

Good work guys. I've enjoyed it.

Glad to hear you follow proper racing too :D

Get involved in the forum man its good craic and even the odd argument... Plenty of people throw in horses that have caught their eye that might be under the radar, one guy says every Mullins horse is better than Arkle but obviously none of them ever are.

On the racism point Slatts is just a potato eating, riverdancing ****ehawk you stone mad boomerang bastard!

I got paid out on Simenon at 20s and had backed him at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I got paid out on Simenon at 20s and had backed him at 12

Reported.

Itziger wrote: »
    Reported.

Reported BOG? To the ****e value police :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

got paid at 16's and I'm happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Another year drifts by.

Currently travelling but I'll post the winner up before Tuesday.

Research started.

Slattsy - any slagging this year and I'll send the boys round. Or Auldgranny. Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Any irish on here organising a meetup ? Myself and my girlfriend just arrived and got tickets there today !

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Best place to watch The MELBOURNE CUP in IRELAND

Any Aussies about late on Monday night ?

First race 11.30 with CUP at 4am (last race 6.15)

Must be some nightclub or Pub open somewhere in Ireland showing it on ATR ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

amadain wrote: »
    Best place to watch The MELBOURNE CUP in IRELAND

Any Aussies about late on Monday night ?

First race 11.30 with CUP at 4am (last race 6.15)

Must be some nightclub or Pub open somewhere in Ireland showing it on ATR ?

Not sure but the Woolshed in Dublin might? I know they usually show big sporting events late like the superbowl,tennis etc

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Anyone have the pricewise selection for the Melbourne Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Anyone have the pricewise selection for the Melbourne Cup?

Willing Foe 1pt win 25-1 generally

Already advised
    Red Cadeaux 1pt ew @ 40-1 Bet 365, 33-1 generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Prediction.

1st - Lidari
    2nd - Opinion
    3rd - Lucia Valentina
    4th - Protectionist

50/1 available for the predicted winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Itsabrack wrote: »
    Willing Foe 1pt win 25-1 generally

Already advised
    Red Cadeaux 1pt ew @ 40-1 Bet 365, 33-1 generally

21-1 on Bet365, currently

Mellor wrote: »
    21-1 on Bet365, currently
    He advised Red Cadaeux a few weeks ago at those prices. I just quoted straight out of his column

Itsabrack wrote: »
    He advised Red Cadaeux a few weeks ago at those prices. I just quoted straight out of his column

Yeah I got that. I was just updating to current prices, for the benefit if other readers/posters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Wouldn't it be great to see Johnny Murtagh win it. Two decent chances and both well drawn. May never have a better chance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I like the look of Protectionist. He's got decent pattern-race European form, hasn't got a bad draw and has Ryan Moore on board. Wouldn't mind seeing a drop of rain for him.

Not sure I'd see the booking of Moore as a positive in this instance. Local knowledge can be invaluable. If an Australian horse came over for the Derby you'd want a top English rider who has won multiple derbies. Think Johnny made the right choice regarding his two jockies, Godolphin too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Flemington is a fairly unremarkable track. I can understand why a trainer would want an English/Irish jockey to ride at Epsom because if its various demands and idiosyncrasies. Lemaire and Mosse have ridden two of the last four Melbourne Cup winners.

It's not, but he won't be able to do what he was fortunately able to do on Adelaide, didn't exactly give Mount Athos the best chance two years ago. I wouldn't view it as a negative just wouldn't constitute a huge positive in Australia. Watch him win it now with a cracking ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It's not, but he won't be able to do what he was fortunately able to do on Adelaide, didn't exactly give Mount Athos the best chance two years ago. I wouldn't view it as a negative just wouldn't constitute a huge positive in Australia. Watch him win it now with a cracking ride

I'm the same, I'd favour a local jockey or a French one. Their racing culture is more similar than ours and GBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

EX GUARDIAN.CO.UK

1. Protectionist
    2. Red Cadeaux
    3. Who Shot Thebarman
    4. Signoff
    Last: Admire Rakti

A simply stunning performance from Protectionist, who settles in the second half of the field on the rails behind a solid pace set by My Ambivalent. Jockey Ryan Moore saved ground near the rails before bursting through to beat Red Cadeaux and Who Shot Thebarman by a three or four lengths, becoming the first German-trained winner of the Melbourne Cup. Admire Rakti races on the pace and fades badly to finish last.

327291.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

CH3OH wrote: »
    EX GUARDIAN.CO.UK

1. Protectionist
    2. Red Cadeaux
    3. Who Shot Thebarman
    4. Signoff
    Last: Admire Rakti

A simply stunning performance from Protectionist, who settles in the second half of the field on the rails behind a solid pace set by My Ambivalent. Jockey Ryan Moore saved ground near the rails before bursting through to beat Red Cadeaux and Who Shot Thebarman by a three or four lengths, becoming the first German-trained winner of the Melbourne Cup. Admire Rakti races on the pace and fades badly to finish last.

My My My The Aussies really have a bad situation on their hands. Just like the Americans they have decimated their staying stallions for the sake of speedy Stallions. Euro based horses have raided their top two races with success and ease. and they key man in the equation was Ryan Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

***BREAKING NEWS***
    The Japanese based favorite Collapsed and died in his box after finishing last in the Cup

***BREAKING NEWS***
    The Japanese based favorite Collapsed and died in his box after finishing last in the Cup

Just heard that. Unfortunate really.
    Probably related to the massive fade at the end.

Looks like Ryan Moore is the man for the big occasion on any horse, any race, any course and any bloody country! I don't think any Australian jockey could have done any better on the last 2 big winners he has rode down there. Fair deuce to him, we are priveliged to be seeing one of the greatest jockeys ever at the top of his game.

I like the look of Protectionist. He's got decent pattern-race European form, hasn't got a bad draw and has Ryan Moore on board. Wouldn't mind seeing a drop of rain for him.

Fosters, Good call

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Delighted to see Protectionist (and a European horse) win.

Sad news about Admire Rakti, and Araldo, too, the latter made all the more tragic by the fact that he was spooked by a kid waving a flag (I read that it was a kid in another/earlier article):
    Araldo, was taken to a nearby veterinary hospital where he underwent X-rays to determine the extent of an injury to one of his hind legs.

The Mike Moroney-trained stayer, who had finished seventh, was spooked on his way back to the mounting yard when a spectator waved a flag at him, kicking out at a fence and injuring the limb.

It was later confirmed that Araldo had been put down after suffering an irreparable fracture to his pastern.

“It is with sadness that we confirm Araldo has had to be humanely euthanised as a result of the injury it suffered in a freak accident following the Emirates Melbourne Cup,” said Dr Brian Stewart, RV Head of Veterinary & Equine Welfare,

“The horse received immediate veterinary care and was transported to the University of Melbourne Veterinary Hospital, however, sadly the fracture in its pastern was not repairable.

“The owners made the decision to humanely euthanise Araldo in the best interests of the horse.

“Our sympathies are extended at this time to trainer Mike Moroney, his staff and the owners who are extremely saddened by the loss of their horse in such tragic circumstances.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/ryan-moore-times-it-to-perfection-with-protectionist-in-melbourne-cup-1.1987333

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I hope the kid doesn't realise he caused the death of a racehorse

• Advertisement

Nulty wrote: »
    I hope the kid doesn't realise he caused the death of a racehorse

He could be some sort of narcissist

Advertisement