Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE MELBOURNE CUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

with 1993 winner and international flag bearer ''Vintage Crop''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

marchino wrote: »
    with 1993 winner and international flag bearer ''Vintage Crop''

Lucky man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

can someone let me know the first 4 horses across the line and howmany starts

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Fiorente wins
    hopefully Simenon was 4th ,listening only ,no live

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Red cadeaux was 2nd, mount athos 3rd, simenon 4th and dunaden 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

marc96 wrote: »
    can someone let me know the first 4 horses across the line and howmany starts
    1st Fiorente
    2ndRed Cadeaux
    3rdMount Athos
    4thSimenon
    5thDandino

24 started

MELBOURNE CUP RESULT: 1. FIORENTE, 2. RED CADEAUX, 3. MOUNT ATHOS, 4. SIMENONby Ben Linfoot 4:06 AM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

my 3 all placed,pity not one of them could win:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

The missus with her "red cadeaux is a lovely name, I like presents" and places at 50/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

**** race, **** commentators and **** camerawork, race that stops a stupid nation.

What a great back story with Damien Oliver? Oh yeah the guy who got done for backing a rival horse in 2012 wins.

I was hoping Simenon would be kicked on just before the straight to make use of his stamina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

tomaussie wrote: »
    You don't like Jessica Gomes, Pania Rose, Emily Scott, Holly Valance, Imogen Bailey, Krystal Forscutt, Miranda Kerr ???

You don't like Feral hop hog, murals imperial stout, stone & wood ale, kooinda pale ale, red duck, white rabbit dark ale
    ???

I know this is an Irish site but you sound English mate with all the crying.

How long did you live here for and where ?

I think the aidankkk fella has definitely picked out the most likely outsider in Ethiopia.

I don't know any of them. Are they in Home and Away or something??

Did a dingo eat your baby?
    I sound English? Retract that. Or I challenge you do a duel. Or whatever the Australian equivalent is, a boomerang throwing contest.
    Stupid Australians.

:-)

The missus with her "red cadeaux is a lovely name, I like presents" and places at 50/1.

She likes a 'glass of red' too no doubt :)
    Just watched the replay there , turning for home Simenon took it up and for a brief second looks good , not a lot between the leading 4 in the end , happy with My place part of each way double though esp seeing as The Aussie commentator called Simenon 5th on the radio station commentary :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »
    Obviously a very open race, but a friend of mine works in the Waterhouse yard and they are bullish on fiorente. He would work the horse regularly and word is its in great shape.
    You little daisy:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Oh well a race where getting placed might still mean you can make a nice profit .(backed Simenon; can't by a win for love nor money)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

dodzy wrote: »
    Obviously a very open race, but a friend of mine works in the Waterhouse yard and they are bullish on fiorente. He would work the horse regularly and word is its in great shape.

You should have posted this yesterday afternoon when we were all awake ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

UrbanFret wrote: »
    You don't seem to be a fan of any of the races outside of europe . when someone as travelled as johhny G says the way forward is all to the east you have to take notice. This is their biggest day of the year. It's a fantastic occasion. Sure the quality of horse might leave a bit to be desired but that shouldn't detract from competitiveness of it. And the prize money.1st $3,600,000, 2nd $900,000, 3rd $450,000, 4th $250,000, 5th $175,000, 6th $125,000, 7th $125,000, 8th $125,000, 9th $125,000, 10th $125,000. :eek:

This is a funny point. Given I love the racing at Meydan and the Breeders Cup, can you point out what race I've said I don't like?

While it is a good spectacle, I think making handicaps a gr.1 are a piss take. If the best horse can't win a gr.1 because it has to give weight away then it shouldn't be a group 1

UrbanSea wrote: »
    This is a funny point. Given I love the racing at Meydan and the Breeders Cup, can you point out what race I've said I don't like?

While it is a good spectacle, I think making handicaps a gr.1 are a piss take. If the best horse can't win a gr.1 because it has to give weight away then it shouldn't be a group 1

Australians are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Slattsy wrote: »
    I don't know any of them. Are they in Home and Away or something??

Did a dingo eat your baby?
    I sound English? Retract that. Or I challenge you do a duel. Or whatever the Australian equivalent is, a boomerang throwing contest.
    Stupid Australians.

:-)

Nice to see that xenophobia is alive and well in Ireland.

I challenge you to a slap in your ignorant face ?

Fair play to qc3 because if you read my after thought it was a 2 horse race between the winner and Seville.

Hope somebody backed it cause I was greedy and backed the longer shot !!!

Slattsy...... even the "ugly" women here are hotter than the "fine" birds in Ireland.

All the best with your straight up and straight down girls.

Nice to see that xenophobia is alive and well in Ireland.

I challenge you to a slap in your ignorant face ?

Fair play to qc3 because if you read my after thought it was a 2 horse race between the winner and Seville.

Hope somebody backed it cause I was greedy and backed the longer shot !!!

Slattsy...... even the "ugly" women here are hotter than the "fine" birds in Ireland.

All the best with your straight up and straight down girls.

Like fishing with dynamite.

For the record, Sally from Home and Away ?? Come on man :p

Slattsy while I can tell when you're messing it might not come across that way, no need to be an ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Australian racing is a bit bizarre, GP1s by the bucketload for old rope, a horse like Side Glance winning a Gp1 race like the MacKinnon devalues the concept of a GP1.

The Melbourne Cup itself is a magnificent spectacle like an Aintree Grand National without fences or a top handicap version of the Ascot Gold Cup.

Strange strange stuff. 12+f horses running in 7 and 8f races with buckets of prizemoney and not performing too badly in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

UrbanSea wrote: »

I stand corrected it was the American horses you found it hard to warm too. Apologies:o

No worries Urban, it's the Lasix in American racing I don't like, still enjoy the actual meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Only room for one of you around these parts.

24yqs9f.jpg

hucklebuck wrote: »
    He said he didnt say he didnt like women!

Deadly "most likely outsider", I prefer to back the least fancied favourite.

Aidankkk did alright in that Ethiopia finished 7th. Not bad considering where some of them finished.

I lost another small fortune. Saving up for next year already !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Aidankkk did alright in that Ethiopia finished 7th. Not bad considering where some of them finished.

I lost another small fortune. Saving up for next year already !

Really can't get my head around this race, how can you enjoy it when you can't even see what the fach is going on until the straight.

Dunno if you watch National Hunt but its far better than flat :D

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Really can't get my head around this race, how can you enjoy it when you can't even see what the fach is going on until the straight.

Dunno if you watch National Hunt but its far better than flat :D

I hear ya mate. And I agree that the commentary (somebody else mentioned it) was awful. A horse broke down during the race but was it mentioned ????? Was it Fu*k.

Yeah. Watch the National every year (and other national hunt race festivals like cheltenham) and many other international races but I've been watching this race since I was a kid and it's what you know, right ?

Great site guys. Many of my Irish mates have been telling me to come on Boards for 2-3 years but I didn't until this Melbourne Cup. You all seem to pretty much know what you are talking about so I'll keep logging in for the winners that my mates talk about.

And maybe next time I won't even be abused by the racists !!!

Good work guys. I've enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Can someone tell me what Simenon's sp was i backed him at 10s but with guaranteed odds. I cant find it, the last time i checked before the off he was 12's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

slaneylad wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what Simenon's sp was i backed him at 10s but with guaranteed odds. I cant find it, the last time i checked before the off he was 12's

According to this, 16/1.

Not sure if bookies were taking Aussie prices into account though.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/05-11-2013/flemington/result/591866/emirates-melbourne-cup-group-1-handicap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

ya its gas, Paddy power dont have the price in their results. i checked ladbrokes and they have him at 13.0 which would be 12/1. I just want to know before I go into my local bookie who normally goes by paddypower price

Racingpost have him returned 19/1

http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/results/home.sd?r_date=2013-11-05

Advertisement