Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE MELBOURNE CUP

Options
  • 03-11-2013 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Anybody know where I can find ten year trends for this race.

It's the one race that I'd really like to back the winner of before I die.

G'day !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Melbourne up Pricewise.

Empire at 20-1 to end Godolphin Cup blues
    There probably isn't a race anywhere in the world Godolphin would like to win more than the Emirates Melbourne Cup. They have come awfully close many times and this year they can put the record straight by winning it with Royal Empire, who has had the contest on his agenda all season.
    Central Park, Give The Slip, Beekeeper and Crime Scene have all hit the frame for Godolphin and I think Royal Empire is a better horse than all those and comes into the race having been prepared for months now.
    He looked very good when slamming Red Cadeaux in the Geoffrey Freer three starts ago and has run real ly well in defeat the last two times, despite conditions not really being to his liking.
    There was no disgrace in being beaten by stablemate Secret Number on ground much too soft at Ascot last time and all the vibes from Australia are that Royal Empire has settled in really well and looks primed to run a big race.
    Kerrin McEvoy certainly fancies his chances, he is well drawn in stall 11 and the Godolphin horses are in flying form, so there’s everything to like about his chance, especially as the step up to two miles is certain to suit.
    The big danger might be the French-trained mare Verema. She was the ante-post choice for this race a few weeks ago and like Royal Empire everything seems to have gone smoothly in her preparation.
    Alain de Royer-Dupre won the race with Americain in 2010 and I think these slowly run Australian events suit the French horses perfectly as they are trained to settle and sprint which is exactly what is required.
    She will run well as should the topweight Dunaden, although he is not getting any younger and Jamie Spemcer will need luck from stall one.
    Of the other European trained runners, I think Brown Panther needs it to rain quite hard if he is to be fully effective, while Dandino was trained for the minute for the Caulfield Cup and that race might have suited him better than the two miles he faces today.
    Mount Athos has to be taken extremely seriously after his desperate luck last year and if Craig Williams can tuck him in from stall 22 he has to go well.
    I think his chance depends on the early pace because if they go slow, as they usually do in Australia, Mount Athos is going to have to give ground away and come wide up the home straight, or depend on luck by switching to the rail behind a wall of horses.
    It is by no means beyond the realms of possibility that Mount Athos can still win, but stall 22 certainly makes life a good deal more difficult.
    Most of the best home hopes were formerly trained in Europe and it says something about the state of Australian middle-distance racing that only five in the 24-runner field were bred in the Southern Hemisphere.
    Dear Demi might well be the best of the longshots. She has run well in the Caulfield Cup and Mackinnon on her last two starts and will see out the two miles no problem. However, she has had a tough time of it recently and once again has not had the best of luck with the draw.

Advice

Royal Empire
    4.0oam Tuesday, Flemington
    1pt win at 20-1 generally

Already advised
    Verem
    1pt win at 20-1

Waldpark
    Non-runner

tomaussie wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Anybody know where I can find ten year trends for this race.

It's the one race that I'd really like to back the winner of before I die.

G'day !

Have a look here.
    http://thesun.racecaller.com/horse-racing-forum/upcoming-big-races/melbourne-cup-trends-2013-1381630625/post/488997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Ah that is brilliant. Exactly what I was looking for.

I really hope I can pick the winner this year.

Cheers mate !

Ah that is brilliant. Exactly what I was looking for.

I really hope I can pick the winner this year.

Cheers mate !

Edited my post Tom. looks a better site for trends.

qc3 wrote: »
    Edited my post Tom. looks a better site for trends.

Wow qc3. Awesome work.

I've quickly whittled the field down to 5 from those trends.

Of those 5 I'm rightly or wrongly ruiling out numbers 9 as it's a 50/1 shot so that leaves......

no. 4 - sea moon at 12/1

no. 6 - fiorente at 6/1 (fav)

no.12 - seville at 16/1

no. 16 - royal empire at 16/1

Sea Moon only scrapes in on the trends so I'll leave that out.

10 of the last 10 winners had a run within 17 days of the race so royal empire is dodgy having run 31 days ago but I'm been drawn to it.

So by trends it's really between Fiorente and Seville but I may go for Royal Empire.

Anyway, it's easier to pick between 3 rather than 24.

Hope that's the case !

Thanks for your help qc3.

Update - Royal Empire is my selection ! I am ignoring one major trend but it stands out for other reasons over Fiorente and Seville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

ATR Guide
    The ATR writer has basically picked the win and each way bet I am going with.

Voleuse De Coeurs to win and Masked Marvel as an outsider. I wanted to back Seville last year but he was injured and withdrawn.

Weld is on record as saying he believes she's too immature to win the Cup but even Mr Weld can be surprised by a horse and he believes shes capable of it. Of a very low weight for a 6l Leger demolition!

Went with Royal Empire @ 16s for the win and Ibicenco e/w @ 66/1 who won the Geelong Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Simenon has a relatively nice weight. Might stick a small token bet on him at 12s always gives his running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Had a little bet on Fawkner 16/1 for interest. Huge, huge question marks on whether he'll stay given he started out the year finishing 3rd to Black Caviar over 6f but if he does I think he'll run a big race. It's a bloody big if though!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

kiers47 wrote: »
    Simenon has a relatively nice weight. Might stick a small token bet on him at 12s always gives his running!

Looks lightly weighted indeed , hope you are right as I have availed of 20's Ante Post , after seeing what Willie Mullins did with BlackstairsMountain in Japan couldn't resist , any advice on live coverage anyone online ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

chipsdave wrote: »
    Looks lightly weighted indeed , hope you are right as I have availed of 20's Ante Post , after seeing what Willie Mullins did with BlackstairsMountain in Japan couldn't resist , any advice on live coverage anyone online ??

Got him at 25/1, he was at 33/1 at one stage, he's looking good by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not a fan of this race at all. I don't like how a country's biggest race is a handicap and the horses are ran over silly distances to keep their mark down. Didn't Seville run over six or seven furlongs before it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Not a fan of this race at all. I don't like how a country's biggest race is a handicap and the horses are ran over silly distances to keep their mark down. Didn't Seville run over six or seven furlongs before it last year

You don't seem to be a fan of any of the races outside of europe . when someone as travelled as johhny G says the way forward is all to the east you have to take notice. This is their biggest day of the year. It's a fantastic occasion. Sure the quality of horse might leave a bit to be desired but that shouldn't detract from competitiveness of it. And the prize money.1st $3,600,000, 2nd $900,000, 3rd $450,000, 4th $250,000, 5th $175,000, 6th $125,000, 7th $125,000, 8th $125,000, 9th $125,000, 10th $125,000. :eek:

chipsdave wrote: »

Missed the 12/1 and wasn't interested at 10s so ended up plumping with Dandino also at 10s. Wouldnt mind seeing either win. So good luck with your bet.
    Not sure about the online coverage but it is definitely on atr.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

UrbanSea wrote: »

Would the Grand National not be our equivalent?

Not a massive fan of the race myself for betting purposes but I think its a great spectacle.

There's no flat handicap in Europe that comes close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hate the race, hate Australians, Australian beer is piss poor at best.

Couldn't be arsed. Awful country. Crocodile Dundee? Christian Bale? **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Slattsy wrote: »

Christian Bale is Welsh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The other fella from Batman i meant Heath Leger lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I do love watching this race, and haven’t any real fancies this year but at teh moment there is a couple of what look standout prices for me.

Seville has had this in mind now for a long time and may just have the bit of class needed to forge ahead down the straight. He is 20/1 with ladbrokes and that looks a few points too big.

Simenon, is a proven Group 1 Stayer and is most certainly in here on the wrong weight, he still obviously has a lot to do in this field with the amount on luck required, but its possible this race could suit him perfectly and i didn’t think he’d be 14/1 on the day of the race. He is sure to be flying at the finish and let hope this time he gets there on time. He quite possibly has the right Jockey on him for his style of racing..

I have to trow in a huge price one in this race and of the big priced horses the one most likely to have a shot looks to be Ethiopia. He is a former winner of the Australian Derby and although he has been somewhat disappointing since, he looks to have improved in his last run and hopefully has had this race in mind. He looks worth a small bet a 66/1

1 Point win Seville 20/1 Ladbrokes

1 Point win Simenon 14/1 Bet365

1/2 Point win Ethiopia 66/1 Generally

aidankkk wrote: »
    I do love watching this race, and haven’t any real fancies this year but at teh moment there is a couple of what look standout prices for me.

Seville has had this in mind now for a long time and may just have the bit of class needed to forge ahead down the straight. He is 20/1 with ladbrokes and that looks a few points too big.

Simenon, is a proven Group 1 Stayer and is most certainly in here on the wrong weight, he still obviously has a lot to do in this field with the amount on luck required, but its possible this race could suit him perfectly and i didn’t think he’d be 14/1 on the day of the race. He is sure to be flying at the finish and let hope this time he gets there on time. He quite possibly has the right Jockey on him for his style of racing..

I have to trow in a huge price one in this race and of the big priced horses the one most likely to have a shot looks to be Ethiopia. He is a former winner of the Australian Derby and although he has been somewhat disappointing since, he looks to have improved in his last run and hopefully has had this race in mind. He looks worth a small bet a 66/1

1 Point win Seville 20/1 Ladbrokes

1 Point win Simenon 14/1 Bet365

1/2 Point win Ethiopia 66/1 Generally

Was looking for something like that on Simenon but could only get 10s 2 hours ago. Although I can't bet with Bet365 anyway. My 1 doubt about Simenon is that I fear that he won't have that burst of speed in the closing stages that usually wins this. Even though it is a 2mile race IMO it runs more like an extended mile and a half race most years with usually a lull in the pace half way through the race.

Some good selections in there Aidan. Good luck with them.
    Still quite happy with the 10/1 on dandino. Another I'm gonna throw into the hat is brown panther at 16/1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

UrbanFret wrote: »
    You don't seem to be a fan of any of the races outside of europe . when someone as travelled as johhny G says the way forward is all to the east you have to take notice. This is their biggest day of the year. It's a fantastic occasion. Sure the quality of horse might leave a bit to be desired but that shouldn't detract from competitiveness of it. And the prize money.1st $3,600,000, 2nd $900,000, 3rd $450,000, 4th $250,000, 5th $175,000, 6th $125,000, 7th $125,000, 8th $125,000, 9th $125,000, 10th $125,000. :eek:

Just to be clear, the Melbourne Cup is a bumper for professional riders with nice prizemoney. Prizemoney does not make a race great.

I have backed hurdler Simenon, I think Willie Mullins has planned a Flemington Steele :eek:

I agree, Mick Jagger? George W Bush? **** off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,737 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm going with Verema for the win, good draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nulty wrote: »
    ATR Guide
    The ATR writer has basically picked the win and each way bet I am going with.

Voleuse De Coeurs to win and Masked Marvel as an outsider. I wanted to back Seville last year but he was injured and withdrawn.

Weld is on record as saying he believes she's too immature to win the Cup but even Mr Weld can be surprised by a horse and he believes shes capable of it. Of a very low weight for a 6l Leger demolition!
    Snap.

You don't like Jessica Gomes, Pania Rose, Emily Scott, Holly Valance, Imogen Bailey, Krystal Forscutt, Miranda Kerr ???

You don't like Feral hop hog, murals imperial stout, stone & wood ale, kooinda pale ale, red duck, white rabbit dark ale
    ???

I know this is an Irish site but you sound English mate with all the crying.

How long did you live here for and where ?

I think the aidankkk fella has definitely picked out the most likely outsider in Ethiopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Obviously a very open race, but a friend of mine works in the Waterhouse yard and they are bullish on fiorente. He would work the horse regularly and word is its in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭BQQ

You don't like Jessica Gomes, Pania Rose, Emily Scott, Holly Valance, Imogen Bailey, Krystal Forscutt, Miranda Kerr ???

You don't like Feral hop hog, murals imperial stout, stone & wood ale, kooinda pale ale, red duck, white rabbit dark ale
    ???

I know this is an Irish site but you sound English mate with all the crying.

How long did you live here for and where ?

I think the aidankkk fella has definitely picked out the most likely outsider in Ethiopia.

Don't forget Rhiannon Fish.

Didn't Ethiopia finish last in 2012 ?
    And he gets no respite from the handicapper.
    Don't fancy that at all.

Seville has been laid out for this for 2 years.
    He'll do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I delayed my each way on Masked Marvel cause thought his price might drift further...I can't bring myself to back it even now. He's done nothing since his leger win.

So hard to pick another....so I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭BQQ

Nulty wrote: »
    I delayed my each way on Masked Marvel cause thought his price might drift further...I can't bring myself to back it even now. He's done nothing since his leger win.

So hard to pick another....so I won't.

Yeah, he looks so well handicapped, but I can't escape the feeling that he's just no good anymore.

• Advertisement

You don't like Jessica Gomes, Pania Rose, Emily Scott, H
    ???

He said he didnt say he didnt like women!

Deadly "most likely outsider", I prefer to back the least fancied favourite.

Advertisement