Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like my life is over.

Options
  • 11-07-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Over the past year I have lost everything I worked so hard for.

A year ago I had a stable job, I had a great life and an amazing girlfriend. Last year I opted to take a serious risk and move into self-employment with an affiliation to a company. The company sold it to me as a step up in career and if I worked hard enough I would make an incredible living. Needless to say it hasn't paid off and as a result I lost my girlfriend, my savings and a feasible career I had before i left my job. I have had countless interviews and sent multiple applications to no avail. I am barely keeping above water.

I've no one really to turn to now and I fear the landlord will get word and have me on the streets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

did your gf leave you because the job didnt work out or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

did your gf leave you because the job didnt work out or what?

Any advice to offer or are you just fishing for gossip? :confused:

OP - Sounds like a really **** time you've had. I'm sure you'll land a job eventually. You should probably focus on your mental state, trying to get that into the right place, as I'm sure being more positive will help with all the rest. Do you have mates you can chat to, or maybe go to a few counselling sessions? Try not to focus on the past, there's no changing that. People lose partners, jobs etc all the time and then bounce back. You will too. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Any chance of the previous job hiring you back?

You need to speak with your family and if you're still paying rent you can't be turfed out anyway....

Is there anything that you could work at that would get you by until another similar position came up....
    There is no way you should be embarrassed or feel bad for having to work at something else that you would see as less etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies guys. My old boss is happy to take me back once a position opens up. I fear it may not be there for a while. My gf left because she wasnt happy take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

So she was happy during good times and walked at the first bad time.. you dodged a bullet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

My gf left because she wasnt happy take from that what you will.

Antix is right. If she left because you're in difficulty then it was a blessing in disguise. A person who won't offer their partner support when they are having a tough time is a dead weight.

Perhaps it wasn't that simple, and perhaps this put a strain on your relationship. But you are still better off without than with someone who leaves at the first sign of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'r gf was only with you for the perks when the going was good.

This gf leaving issue is a blessing in disguise, believe me.

As for the job, that will be fine. You will get back into it before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi. I understand things seem bad at the moment. However, the fact that your previous boss is happy to have you back is hugely positive news! He obviously has great respect for you and your work, and you must have left on good terms. Alternatively, if there isn't any roles opening up with that employer, this fact should be helpful for you getting into another role - it's something I would certainly mention at interviews, and you could rely on your old boss for a good reference.

As suggested, why don't you just look for any type of work in the meantime, to help pay the bills. What your doing really doesn't matter, particularly in the short term. It should also help keep your mind busy - from personal experience, having too much time on our hands is not good when you have problems, as just allows hours for turning things over and over...…

As for your girlfriend, if she broke up with you over this situation, she clearly wasn't around for the long term, or had much respect for you. Down the road, I'm sure you'll see this.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

OP, I realise you feel that you are in a tough spot now, but most people don't look back on life and regret the risks they took - they look back and regret the ones they didn't take. You took a chance, it didn't work out, and that already puts you head and shoulders above most other people.

As for the girlfriend, others have said it more eloquently. If it was meant to be, she would have stood by you during the tough times as well as the good times - she didn't, and that should tell you all you need to know. Everything else - the job, the savings, will come good with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wanted to update this.

I've gotten a new role which I'm doing really well with so things are slowly coming together. I'm still not over my ex but that should go away with time. Looking back I could have handled my ****ty situation better and I dont blame her for leaving.

I'm planning on making 2020 my year.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Well done on the new job!! And best of luck for 2020...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Just wanted to update this.

I've gotten a new role which I'm doing really well with so things are slowly coming together. I'm still not over my ex but that should go away with time. Looking back I could have handled my ****ty situation better and I dont blame her for leaving.

I'm planning on making 2020 my year.

Thanks guys

Well done
    You sound very high end professional don’t be afraid to try again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Nice one OP. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

Fair play op.
    I'm self employed and know a few lads that got stung badly when the celtic tiger calved.
    One had to get stints in the heart from all the pressure, anothers missus bailed when the dollars dried up. At least ye didnt have any nippers.
    A lot to be said for 20 days holidays, sick pay, overtime, redundancy etc etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Congrats on the job. Must be a big boost to your confidence. Also taking risks is part of life and if you didn't maybe you would always ask what if.

Your gf finishing is always tough. Who knows was it due to new job or it could have been your not suited. It takes time to get over someone but in the end you will realise if it's not meant to be it's better it ended.

Keep doing what you are doing. It's obvious you are good at what you do. That's why you were offered the self employment and now a new job.

Advertisement