Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic hatch in bedroom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're kind of mixing up air tightness and insulation. You might find more options if you search for "airtight attic hatch"

e.g.
    https://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/Ireland/Products/Airtight-Attic-Hatches-and-Accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭raxy

I made something like that using scrap wood & radiator foil I had left over. Hadn't noticed a draft from the hatch before but figured it would help keep the heat in.
    replacing the hatch is probably the best solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Lumen wrote: »
    You're kind of mixing up air tightness and insulation. You might find more options if you search for "airtight attic hatch"

e.g.
    https://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/Ireland/Products/Airtight-Attic-Hatches-and-Accessories

In a way, yes, but I guess I am looking for both.
    We plan to move the hatch to the hallway as part of a remodel next year, so not keen to spend a lot on a new door now. I thought that the cover I linked to would give insulation and reduce draught. Is that incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

For airtightness:
    Apply a thin film of vaseline to the access hatch 4 edges (the parts that make contact with the frame. Next apply a continuous bead of silicon to the frame section which takes the weight of the hatch (make sure it is cleaned and dry first). Make sure the the bead thickness is at least enough to fill the largest gap but be careful not to over do it. Next close the hatch (allow the vaselined hatch to sit on the silicon bead) and leave for 24 hours (for the silicon to fully cure). Open the hatch (the vaseline prevents the silicon from sticking) and clean off the vaseline. Job done

MicktheMan wrote: »
    For airtightness:
    Apply a thin film of vaseline to the access hatch 4 edges (the parts that make contact with the frame. Next apply a continuous bead of silicon to the frame section which takes the weight of the hatch (make sure it is cleaned and dry first). Make sure the the bead thickness is at least enough to fill the largest gap but be careful not to over do it. Next close the hatch (allow the vaselined hatch to sit on the silicon bead) and leave for 24 hours (for the silicon to fully cure). Open the hatch (the vaseline prevents the silicon from sticking) and clean off the vaseline. Job done

Neat idea. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭raxy

CarPark2 wrote: »
    In a way, yes, but I guess I am looking for both.
    We plan to move the hatch to the hallway as part of a remodel next year, so not keen to spend a lot on a new door now. I thought that the cover I linked to would give insulation and reduce draught. Is that incorrect?

Possibly. The cover you linked is designed to create an air barrier between the space below and attic above. I don't know hoe efficient they are, or are not. It would most likely depend on the attic above. If there are gaps around the cover then air will flow though & they won't be very effective.
    If you are going to get it re-done next year anyway I would imagine the cost of the cover would negate any savings.
    If you want a quick fix get some weatherstrip & stick it around the edge of the attic hatch. It should create a better seal & prevent the draft & will only cost about €5.

raxy wrote: »
    If you want a quick fix get some weatherstrip & stick it around the edge of the attic hatch. It should create a better seal & prevent the draft & will only cost about €5.

How about adding some insulation to the upper side of the door, as well as adding the weatherstrip?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I did a couple of things with mine.

For a start I got some of that silver bubble back insulation Woodies have many don't like it but I fit it between the ladder and the attic door. It's flexible and durable

I left it longer on the hinged side of the attic trap door and stapled that longer bit to the attic floor. This stops the air on the hinged side. I left it too long on the other three sides too so it helps to block air flow here too

I also added it like a trim in the attic.

When I am getting down from the attic I pull a sheet of it and an old sleeping bag over the hole after me. Then close up the door.

Those three things did the trick.

Thanks for the info.
    Would you mind explaining this part?
    Stoner wrote: »
    I also added it like a trim in the attic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I just cut strips of the insulation and stapled it to the frame of the trap door.

It was wider than the frame, so when you push up the door it is pushed back up along the side of the ladder.

Anything to make the gap between the door and the hatch smaller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you don’t need to access the attic. I’d just use sellotape around edges

Advertisement